Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Your Stones Experiences This Tour & Your Hopes For 2007
Posted by: micawber K ()
Date: September 12, 2006 00:08

Hey all

Was just reading all the posts about the setlist whining and so forth. As a 24 year old who has seen the stones a mere 4 times, (Twice on the Licks tour and Twice on the bigger bang tour) I can see the arguments from both "camps" perspectives. So just bear me with a minute and maybe since I'm a "newbie" by most of your standards (eventhough I have nearly all of their records and countless bootlegs. YES I have heard brussels affair and my favourite boots are Stone Alone and It's getting hot up here sydney), here's my thoughts on the current tour and the stones in general. I adore the rolling stones and have ever since I bought the rock and roll circus for the main reason that John Lennon was on the cover in 1999. I can safely say that video changed my life when I watched it and heard Keith cranking out the opening bars of JJF for the first time. Since then it's been a love affair with the band ... AND IT WILL CONTINUE, I LOVE THEM BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN THEY DON'T P*** ME OFF SOMETIMES AND THEY'RE BEYOND CRITICISM, WHO IS??

Having seen the glasgow and sheffield shows:

GLASGOW: I was surprised at the decline I noticed at this show, and that went for all of them. A space of just three years from my two licks shows and to be honest I felt that I was gonna witness Keef croak it right in front of me. From the moment he came out he looked like he was struggling, and you know what at 62 maybe that's all he had to give on that particular night. (Was scary for me though!) He stayed close to Ronnie for most of the night and I will never forget that quick close-up of his fret hand where his hand was just shaking as he searched for a chord. It was a split second but it brought a tear to my eye. During sympathy he was a way out on the left and he was kneeling down for about a minute while ron filled in, only getting back up to embark on the solo. I was in row 2 on Ronnie's side so I was pretty close up to the action. Did I enjoy it? Hell yes look at all the great people I met (ye know who ye are) who also love the Stones, even if I thought the Stones were a bit ragged on the night and what was that weird power cut for a split second when they were on the B-Stage?? The only argument I had about the setlist was that I pretty much knew what song they would open with, I hate that!! Eventhough I love JJF I love when a band start with something different each show it's a nice way of saying we're here and it's a different city.

SHEFFIELD: The decline was nowhere to be seen and from the word go I knew this was gonna be a blast! Keef charged out the gates and seemed as dangerous as a Rhino who just had cillit bang sprayed in his eyes and the Stones were "on" from the word go. I felt that there was more of a flow to Sheffield and that the sound was rich and clear unlike glasgow. Can't blame the Stones for that I suppose sound engineers beware. Ronnie was superb on the night and I thought he shined far more on Sway than in glasgow. The version of get off my cloud rocked on the B-stage despite the fact that it P***ED down on all of us and the stones. From there up until the end of the show I pretty much knew what the run of songs were gonna be so I concentrated more on watching the stones rather than listening to every strum. I don't think it was boredom? Plus Satisfaction was much better than Glasgow you could hear the riff! Still loved it though and this leads me to end on these points on what I feel a Stones show will be and what I would like it to be for me in 2007 (if they do come to Europe).

1. I will celebrate the band we love most.
2. I will no doubt meet up with old friends and new friends and WE WILL HAVE A BLAST!!
3. Yes I would love setlist changes - You Got Me Rocking, Out Of Tears, Biggest Mistake, I go Wild, Gimme Shelter, Love Is Strong, Waiting on A friend, This place is Empty, Out Of Control, Flip The Switch, All About You, Just My Imagination, time is on my side, as tears go by, sister morphine ... I think they're lazy for not rehearsing more songs and I hate them for it sometimes but I'm glad they're here to be honest! It's an issue that will run and run and run and run on this board and in my heart ...
5. I would like smaller venues for some shows. Come on guys you can leave the circus at home for a few shows and let us concentrate on you and you alone! Great stage don't get me wrong sometimes it just takes the emphasis off you guys.
6. At my last show of the tour I will say goodbye (to be sure to be sure!) to "our band", treasure the memories cause I think that we're all reaching that point where we'll have to let the Stones live go! sad smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1712
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home