Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
Set List idiots
Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 3, 2006 02:57

This is to everybody who is making comments about the setlist without going to the show. It is as stupid as making comments about a person from looking at a picture. Totally nonsense. I have been following this tour and the band. I have seen the set list, the shows and the crowds around the world. And I have see the utterly idiotic comments about the set list from people not going to the shows. By idiotic I mean without connection to the real world i.e. the fans being at the show. It is like reading about love and talking about it in terms of numbers. If you don't understand that a Stones show is about the relation between the band and the crowd then it is time to think one more time. Why are you so concerned about the set list? If you have a partner back at home... Do you have a set list? How does your partner perform? Time to renew?

Bjornulf

Re: Set List idiots
Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 3, 2006 03:02

Actually, if a girlfriend did the exact same thing in the exact same order every time I would be somewhat bored and would gently ask her to throw in a few different moves every once in a while. I would be like "this is great, but you know what would make it even better?"

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: September 3, 2006 03:06

I suppose everyone has their own "ideal" set list, and if you care that much about it then the band has no chance of pleasing everyone in the audience.

All I know is that I always go to a show hoping for one certain song or one set list or another, but whether I get my wish or not, I've never left a Stones gig disapointed.

Long live rock!

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 3, 2006 03:07

its sort of an endless argument because then people will say " you can criticize the set list, but still like the performance.".

Date: September 3, 2006 03:11

I don't see anything wrong with saying something is good but it could be better. Nothing in the world would ever improve if no one ever said anything. If it doesn't work you are no worse off, you still have the same thing you would have had if you hadn't said anything.

Posted by: taz22 ()
Date: September 3, 2006 03:11

Variety is the spice of life it is said!

I assume that you are only bitching about people who have yet to go to a show this tour.....as I have been to 4 shows....and am sick quite frankly of hearing Miss You and IORR........the stones have a tremedous catalogue of well know tunes such as Street Fighting Man,Under My Thumb, The Last Time, Time is On My Side etc etc etc....that have yet to be played or have been played once......if i had my choice of hearing Miss You for the 50th time or one of the songs I have mentioned for the 2nd or 3rd time....I'd take the later!!!!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 3, 2006 03:12

The Rolling Stones define their art and they are not some sort of "by popular demand" house band. They have done this for 44 years now but still some people think they are some sort of a house band. They are not. They perform for the many and not for the few.

Bjornulf

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 3, 2006 03:14

I dont think theres anything wrong with discuussing set lists, but I dont know I dont mean to insult anyone on here, but what It comes down to is either you liked the show or you didn't.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: September 3, 2006 03:18

bv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
They perform for the many and
> not for the few.

Wouldn't it be nice, if they PLAYED for themselves? Just go out there and please only themselves and the rest can follow. Do you think they're doing that now?

Myself, I love seeing The Stones, I always have a good time. That doesn't mean I wouldn't mind seeing/hearing something different.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 3, 2006 03:18

The shows I saw....I thought they were magnificent.
But....I actually felt a bit sorry for Stones, having to do Sympathy, Honky Tonk Women etc. just because those songs "have to be there".
Great shows, honestly, but Stones are a bit bound & gagged by doing the songs that the masses recognize.
But, of course, you can't say that a show was boring, just by reading the setlist on the internet. There could be amazing energy even the "old" songs.
There's several sides of this setlist-discussion.
If Stones stuck with the Hot Rocks ever since 1969, and just added 2-3 "new" songs at every tour....they would have ended in 1975. They wouldn't even bother to get a new guitar-player.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 3, 2006 03:21

bv Wrote:

> If you have a partner back at home... Do you have
> a set list?....................WE USED TO.....BUT I MEMORIZED IT....AND THEN I COMPLAINED ABOUT NOT ENOUGH GIGS TO USE IT AT..................How does your partner perform? ...........VERY CAREFULLY & VERY SELDOM..............Time to
> renew?.............MAYBE/MAYBE NOT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-03 03:22 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: September 3, 2006 03:21

i agree with bv... the people moanin' about set lists are idiots..go tell the over 100,000 people who went to the argentina shows earlier this year that their experienece was "..not as good as it could have been" cause the set list was boring..they weren't bored! maybe YOU are boring.

Date: September 3, 2006 03:22

Don't know how many of yu caught it....but quite honestly....last fall (2005)....OUT OF CONTROL was awesome.....just freakin' awesome and that coupled with Sway, As Tears Go Bye and Back of My Hand have been the highlights of the 4 shows I saw during the last 12 months!

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: September 3, 2006 03:22

But perhaps due to setlist whining or tunes diehards wishing posting, polling etc would we really of gotton Sway? Wasn't that what diehards #1 request was & it happenned. I have no idea BV I'm sure you do. Do they or their personel read, check out Stones boards fans request etc.

All I know is not sure if Sway would of come this tour. Send thanks to the Stones for listenening to their hardcores on that one. I'm not being sarcastic. Sincerely thank them. Maybe a poll will let us pick the next one most dying to hear & they'll pull it out on fall leg??? Out Of Time?, She Was Hot? MEZ

Date: September 3, 2006 03:25

James Lynn Wrote:

I have no idea BV
> I'm sure you do. Do they or their personel read,
> check out Stones boards fans request etc.
>

SWAY would not have been played if it hadn't been for the hard lobbying efforts of folks on this board and also Shidoobee......I know for a fact that the shidoobee top 10 list was given to Chuck who brought it to Mick & keith's attention.......I can also state that Paint It Black ( although being rearly played ) was requested by myself through a personal channel to keith by a good insider contact and I was justly rewarded with it at the 4 shows I attended!

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: September 3, 2006 03:26

bv Wrote:

They perform for the many and
> not for the few.

Exactly, the show is exactly that, a show! A show which will roll on to the next town and repeat for the next set of fans. If you went to every show you would see many diferent set lists. But there are no medals handed out for the number of shows that you attend or the number of set lists that you witnessed, the only reward you get is how many times you got your rocks off at a Stones gig this year. I go to Stones gigs because I love the music and I love the band. I could listen to Miss You or IORR every night of my life and never grow tired of them. I am just gratful that I seen the band live again.

This set list is different from the last tour, and the one before that, and the one bfore that.....

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 3, 2006 03:29

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 3, 2006 03:30

A'm I also a idiot if I want to hear "We Love You" ?

Date: September 3, 2006 03:30

stoned_in_dc Wrote:
> go tell the over 100,000 people
> who went to the argentina shows earlier this year
> that their experienece was "..not as good as it
> could have been" cause the set list was
> boring..they weren't bored!

Did anyone ever say that because they personally felt the setlist could have been better that that meant other people felt that way also? I don't think so.

I don't assume that everyone feels the same as I do and don't get upset when they don't. Unlike some people I don't get upset when someone expresses a view contrary to mine.

Date: September 3, 2006 03:32

NICOS Wrote:
> A'm I also a idiot if I want to hear "We Love You"
> ?

Apparently you and me and anyone who wants to hear anything different are idiots. Hmm, I thought name calling was frowned upon on this site. Oh well, it doesn't matter to me, I can take it. I am even big enough to not respond in kind smiling smiley

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: September 3, 2006 03:36

...well, the consences is, people are tired of the same computerized show, the honky tanked women re-curl, the miss you going out,, then flames and red for sftd, then then then then,, and before that its that that and that.... if you had the nineteen songs on cd right now playing youd skip a bunch of them, in fact, maybe just two would catch your ear to ,, lets hear that again... i hate the reality it has become...

Date: September 3, 2006 03:38

How about Let Me Down Slow????? or Dangerous Beauty??? MEZ

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: September 3, 2006 03:39

The internet infomation about the set lists a band has performed only adds to prejudgement of a performance without having been there to be honest and open
about what really occured.
When you have actually particpated in a recent 'Stones' concert and in context actually joining in with the live event only then would one be in a position to make a proper judgement of the actual performance.
The vast majority of attendees who have attended a recent 'Stones' concert have thoroughly enjoyed themselves whereas the minority who are dis-satisfied with the set lists do not have the right mental attitude to fully enjoy the performance with the end result being a lack of satisfaction.
For the minority of people who did not fully enjoy themselves at a 'Stones' concert then vote with your feet and miss them next time around.
I have attended many 'Stones' concerts since 1966 and although i am an avid fan i will openly critise when the band has not performed well and am glad to say that this has only happened on a few occasions.
(Hyde Park,London 5/7/1969 being one of them)

Posted by: bianca ()
Date: September 3, 2006 03:41

Bjornulf, you can't have it both ways.

You can't rave about a setlist for being innovative and creative (as I'm sure you mioust have during 40 Licks) and then argue that it doesn't make any difference.

Surely you must acknowledge that Brown Sugar gets boring after the 1000th play. And the fact that the boys play the same routine every single night suggests that this has become any but a creative enterprise.

Date: September 3, 2006 03:46

stones40 Wrote:
> The internet infomation about the set lists a
> band has performed only adds to ...

Exactly. If setlists are so unimportant, why do people go to the trouble of text messaging them to each other and posting them on this board and elsewhere? Why is the setlist always the first thing posted in reviews on this site? Why are the songs that haven't been played before usually in bold? When Sway was played for the first time I believe an announcement of that appeared in the news section on this site. It sounds like "setlist whiners" aren't the only ones who think the setlist is important.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: September 3, 2006 03:49

I don't consider as "idiot" anyoone who has different opinion. BV's words and statements are agressive, but he has a point. Liked or not, "warhorses" are working. It was obvious at every concert i have seen on this tour. Even songs i don't like, for example "Miss You" (i mean studio version), sound very attractive in my ears at the concerts! Live feeling, the whole atmosphaire, crowd's enthousiasm- you know...

Date: September 3, 2006 03:50

i think maybe people who complain constantly about set lists are not idiots but their complaining is idiotic..

its just your preference thats all..your preference is that they play different songs.. fine..but don't go around saying the shows are boring etc just because they don't play different songs.. thats what set lists whiners do and its IDIOTIC and yes people who fall into this trap of judging a show as boring and complaining about it even though they were not even at show are acting like idiots..what else would you call it?

everyone is entitled to hear their songs... someone here said they want to hear we love you..fine! but i don't! i think the modern day stones would sound terrible on this.. so no you are not an idiot for wanting to hear we love you..more power to you.. i would like to hear a chuck berry cover and there are tons of other songs.. but i don't think the stones concert sucks- without listening to it- because they play brown sugar.... give me a break

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 3, 2006 03:51

Good point Oh No Not You Again.

Date: September 3, 2006 03:51

Bianca makes a great point. Of the people who don't moan about the setlists, I am sure they loved the Paris theater show the best of Four Flicks. Not every single person of course, but most view that to be the best. Is it simply because of intimate setting i.e. theater? Partly I'm sure but no what excited people was the setlist. Hand Of Fate, Going To Go Go, Heartbreaker, Neighbors, Everybody Wants Somebody, Stray Cat Blues etc etc etc. songs rarely played

Right? Of Course any hardcore would prefer that than just warhorses & admit if you had been there( those that love the current setlists that is), you would of been floored because of setlist first & foremost.That is what made the show standout amongst others. Its the setlists people! Not just the fact that it was Stones themselves or the setting of the theater! MEZ

Date: September 3, 2006 03:55

of course set lists are important..but if you want different set lists go listen to some jam band like the grateful dead used to be or the allmans .. this is the rolling stones and they have never been about diverse set lists with some notable exceptions..or do you not realize that in 72 they played pretty much the same set list every show?? some will come back with "but they were playing new songs" and say that they should be playing ABB..i dont' agree... people don't go to see the stones to hear ABB which is a sub-par album and no amount of playing the songs is going to make them "hits"....when you have satisfaction-arguably the greatest rock and roll song of all time_ you are going to play it night after night... but also they are playing 19 songs and still people whine..and then there is the whining about ticket prices..

enjoy the band and take what they offer you and enjoy it or don't take it... its the rolling stones..they play what THEY want to play.. the idea that they don't want to play the songs they play because it must be so boring is YOUR idea... not theirs.. if it was so terrible to play these songs.. if it was so not much fun then they would not play them and retire.. obviously they enjoy playing them

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1786
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home