Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Clash & The Rolling Stones ! (?)
Posted by: sparks72 ()
Date: August 11, 2006 21:48

Is it true all five members of Rolling Stones were invited to be a guests at Clash show and they agreed, so Clash had a gig, really small and Mick and Keith, Ronnie + Charlie & Bill came for 5 five numbers, Mick was singing a bit along, Ronnie and Keith were sharing a guitar, Bill was standing straigh and Charlie was clapping, and after five songs they were off stage. but the thing is that nobody recognized any of Stones in the audience, everybody thought it was some jerks who only had fun and not The Rolling Stones, so only few people now it was the Stones, but Stones goverment paid those people who know many dollars to keep them quite?

Is it true? I've heard it from a roadie who worked with Stones during B2B Tour.

Re: Clash & The Rolling Stones ! (?)
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 11, 2006 23:05

goes without saying that its absolute nonsense on every level....

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: August 11, 2006 23:08

There's probably very, very little truth (absolutely zero) in what you were told. Had it been The Who that was mentioned, I'd believe it a bit more, since they toured together in 1982.

Joe Strummer was known to have been a Stones fan in the 60s and I assume beyond then.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: August 11, 2006 23:13

Gazza, I know The Clash are one of your favorites. Did you ever have the chance to meet Joe Strummer? I met him in 2001 at an instore he did at Tower Records and found him to be a complete gentleman, one of the absolute nicest guys in rock that I have ever encountered. I feel lucky that I was able to see The Clash the one time that I did in 1982.

Date: August 11, 2006 23:18

never met any of them, unfortunately. Only got to see the Clash on the "Mk II" Clash tour when they played belfast in early '84 after Jones had left. I thought they were excellent, although a lot of people dont care for that era. (the new songs were better than they were when they were done in the studio for "Cut the crap")

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 12, 2006 21:21

I was lucky enough to see the Clash open for the Who in 1982. They were great...still very edgy, and played with an energy that carried threw the crowd of 82,000+.

Though I love the Who, the Clash were the MUCH better band that day.

I saw the Clash, again, post-Jones and they were OK. I also got to see Jones with Big Audio Dynamite, which was good at times, but generally a disorganized mess.

Strummer's post-Clash work was excellent. Wish he was still around, keeping music honest.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 12, 2006 21:49

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> never met any of them, unfortunately. Only got to
> see the Clash on the "Mk II" Clash tour when they
> played belfast in early '84 after Jones had left.

Sorry to tell you, but you did not see "The Clash."

They replaced Mick Jones with two guys who copied his onstage moves.

"Phoney Beatlemania" indeed.

It was awful. Even Joe knew it later.

The box set doesn't even list Cut the Crap on the discography.

Date: August 12, 2006 22:07

whatever - still said "The Clash" on my ticket, Joe and Paul were in the band etc. I'm not so dumb as to pretend it was as great as the original/classic line up

they finally reissued Cut the Crap and "this is england" (which was a terrific single) appeared on the 'Essential' CD a couple of years ago, so maybe theyve mellowed with time.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 12, 2006 22:19

There are always fundamentalism & fundamentalists in
rock music. Me I aint calling the bunch led by John Sykes,
who got the honour of playing a couple years along the end of Lizzy's
not so brilliant final era, I aint calling this bunch "Thin Lizzy",
yet I do not see myself as a fundamentalist.

Some dont regard Stones "the Rolling Stones" when Brian isnt in it.
Or Stu.

And, as we see, some have never accepted that Taylor's out.

I love Clash, almost all I have heard; but the last album doesnt sound too smokin.

Date: August 12, 2006 22:21

Cut the Crap came out about 18 months after they premiered about half of the songs on a UK tour in Feb/March 1984. The album doesnt do them justice to be honest.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 12, 2006 22:24

But what you saw live, Gaz, was ok - or better than that?

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: August 13, 2006 00:23

I saw the Clash II at Brixton Academy, it was a lot of fun but nowhere near the Jones/Headon band, which is in my opinion the greatest live band ever in rock,and as a lifelong follower of the Stones/Who/Ramones/Iggy et al,and also having been at a Page/Plant rehearsal i've seen'em all.

Also about the Stones and the Clash, i know from an intimate friend of the Stones (i know that sounds like bullshit,but true) that they were always very impressed by the Clash. Between 1977-1982 lets face it the Clash were the kings, it was one period where the Stones stepped back from the throne to some extent . I know photos exist of Mick enjoying the famous Clash show at Shea Stadium.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: August 13, 2006 00:29

Got some great Clash stories from J. Taylor & J. Ely...but they aren't ones I'm at liberty to repeat. I'll say this though...from the stories of those 2...great guys!

Date: August 13, 2006 00:41

Baboon Bro Wrote:
> But what you saw live, Gaz, was ok - or better
> than that?

I enjoyed it - sure. But then I never saw the 'classic' line up. But on its own merits, it was fun and I liked the new songs.

and Strummer had that 'mohawk' haircut, which was pretty cool!

Posted by: ComeOn ()
Date: August 13, 2006 01:41

The Clash played live on Roskilde Festival ( Denmark ) in the summer of 1985 ! I don`t know if it was the `clasic`line up to be honest , but it was GREAT ! At that time they where the only band ever who maybee could have been the heir to the Stones ! IMO

Date: August 13, 2006 01:45

in '85 it would have been the "Mk II" version. I think that was the last year that they toured

The last show with Mick Jones would have been in 1983.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 13, 2006 01:47

Roskilde 1985...bad quality, I know

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 13, 2006 01:54

for some reason "All about you" has always kind of reminded me of the Clash. (they're slower stuff of course)

Date: August 13, 2006 21:47

sdstonesguy Wrote:
> Got some great Clash stories from J. Taylor & J.
> Ely...but they aren't ones I'm at liberty to
> repeat. I'll say this though...from the stories
> of those 2...great guys!

i've heard, second hand of course, a great story about the clash's first visit to texas, visiting J. Ely and it was nightime and Joe Strummer, I think it was, kept seeing these flashes and asked Ely what they were, he told them fireflies, but I guess Strummer thought Ely was doing something to @#$%& with him, and refused to believe the light flashes were from these flying bugs. so there are no "fireflies" in the UK?

even though the clash toured with the who, i think they had more in common with the Stones, in feel and style. I've always thought of London Calling as like a son of Exile, i'm not saying a copy but in many ways a continuation of what the Stones did on Exile I think, taking it in a different direction of course, but it had that same grainy b/w film noire, basement essence to it, replace c/w with reggae and heroin with speed.

in retrospect it's a shame the stones never did a UK tour in 78 or 79, because the Clash would've been the perfect openers. Well maybe not perfect, but those would've made for some interesting and intense shows.

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: August 13, 2006 22:07

i've been lucky to see them in 1981 in Munich (cirkus krone) and in vienna in the original line up and once Joe with the pogues in munich.

one of my best concert experiences.

i have to say apart from the stones the clash are one of the bands i love the most.

i feel very sad about the early death of Joe. Would love to have seen him with the mescaleros.

but as sad as his death was it was the catalyst for the reunion of another fav. band of mine the stray cats.

gazza i get the impression that our taste in music ir more or less identical.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-13 22:13 by Roadster32.

Date: August 13, 2006 23:50

Great minds think alike!

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 14, 2006 11:48

I saw the clash and sure it was the proper line up and they was hot, really good live band.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1968
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home