Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Dylan and Robert Johnson
Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: August 11, 2006 11:00

In his recent book "Chronicles", Bob Dylan writes of his love for Johnson's music which he first heard in the early 60s, On p, 286-287, Dylan writes this:
"More than 30 years later, I would see Johnson for myself in eight seconds worth of 8 millimeter film shot in Ruleville, Mississippi, on a brightly lit afternoon by some Germans in the late 30s. Some people questioned whether it was really him, but slowing the 8 seconds down so it was more like 80 seconds, you can see that it really is Robert Johnson, has to be - couldn't be anyone else. He's playing with huge spider-like hands and they magically move over the strings of his guitar. There's a harp rack with a harmonica around his neck. He looks nothing like a man of stone, no high strung temperament. He looks almost childlike, an angelic looking figure, innocent as can be. He's wearing a white linen jumper, coveralls and an unusual gilded cap like Little Lord Fauntleroy, He looks nothing like a man with the hellhound on his trail, He looks immune to human dread and you stare at the image in disbelief."... This is Dylan himself writing about Johnson!! Has anyone else seen this video? If so, please post it on youtube.com ... thankyou!!!

Re: OT - Dylan and Robert Johnson
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 11, 2006 11:04

Have a still from movie and there was much debate at the time
that it was Johnson but finally the experts spotted a movie
poster in the back ground....The poster was of a movie released
some two years after Robert Johnson died..

ROCKMAN

Re: OT - Dylan and Robert Johnson
Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: August 11, 2006 15:48

Rockman is correct. This film clip has demonstrably and conclusively been proven by blues researchers to be an unknown musician who is definitely not Robert Johnson. The theater marquee in the background advertising a film made after Johnson's death is the key to the proof.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home