Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

SPAC- Torn and Frayed
Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: July 31, 2006 19:30

I saw the Black Crowes last night at SPAC (Saratoga). They did a great encore of Torn and Frayed. I was thinking though that it is sad that I have to go see the Black Crowes to hear a real fan's Stones song, not the Stones. I'm like... that kind of sucks. Why can't I go see the Stones and see stuff like this. If the Black Crowes can pull it off, why can't the Stones?

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Re: SPAC- Torn and Frayed
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 31, 2006 19:32

that question haunts many of us - I don't think some folks are interested in the honest answer, which can in part be answered by listening to the 2 versions the Stones tried in '02....

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: July 31, 2006 19:32

Good point. But at least you heard it by what is generally considered a poor man's RS.

Date: July 31, 2006 19:35

that may be, j50 - but the guitarists have the chops to carry off a T&F - another "unnamed" pair don't anymore. sigh.

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: July 31, 2006 20:10

I believe BC are a classic example of, if RS never existed neither would they. Maybe that's why I love their music. IMO everybody should hear Shake Yer Money Maker.

Date: July 31, 2006 21:39

first 3 albums are pretty strong - nothing since has quite held up, imo...

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: July 31, 2006 22:44

I liked By Your Side, although it seems not many others did. Go Faster and Horsehead are great songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-31 22:46 by ohnonotyouagain.

Posted by: stonesctl ()
Date: July 31, 2006 22:52

I believe that imitation is the highest form of flattery.
The BC are a tremendous band. I would love to see them cover any Stones song.
I've heard boots of them doing T&F and also Happy... such a joy to hear.

Of course Moneymaker and Southern Harmony are awesome albums, but if you don't rock out to Amorica, you haven't really heard the Crowes.

Date: July 31, 2006 22:52

combined they coulda been a real winner - "Horsehead Go Faster."

perhaps this was a lamp post...

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: August 1, 2006 04:50

I saw the Black Crowes when they toured playing on stage with Jimmy Page and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen... probably the best non-Stones show I've ever seen. I liked it even more than when I saw Jimmy Page play with Robert Plant!

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: August 1, 2006 05:22

Ok Mick where's that from...

I can't figure it out but I know I should know it........

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Date: August 1, 2006 05:49

summer romance....

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: August 1, 2006 05:52

StonesTod Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> summer romance....

Thanks tod

Posted by: Mick&Keef ()
Date: August 2, 2006 12:45

I saw the Black Crowes earlier in the year, the encore was Street Fighting Man.

www.livenation.co.uk/gallery/blackCrowesPLay/sunday.asp

Any Stones song they cover is great !

Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: August 2, 2006 13:12

Amorica is a great album,and the Stones performance of Torn an Frayed from the Licks warm-up gig aling with Sad,Sad,Sad,and Heart of Stone was pretty special,they can pull off Torn and Frayed,it's a easy song to play.Mick on accoustic,Ronnie on pedal steel,Keith on fills on electric.They can play it,they just don't.

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: August 2, 2006 16:18

I don't agree with those people that say the BC are Stones clones.
They might have had some strong influences on Shake Your Money Maker, please remember they were about 20 when they did that album, but I don't see that many similarities neither in their sound nor in songrwriting.

The BC songs are usually way more complex than the Stones' ones, playing skills are way more exploited in the BC than in the Stones and the groove and rhythm is completely different.

The Stones write awesome 3/4 minute songs, the BC go for way more freewheeling kinda numbers.

Apart from some Open G songs and chords, I think is far stretched saying the BC are RS clones, to me they are closer to the Allman Brothers, Otis Redding, Motown music than the Stones.

I would also like to say that they are one of the most intriguing live bands ever.
I saw them quite a few times and the last one, in London March 19th at SHperds Bush Empire, they did a 3 hours set that completely blew me away.

They are probably the very last rock n' roll band around that still makes records and shows really caring about their music, so they might not be titans in the way the Stones are, but I think they should get their very own well deserved due respect.

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: August 4, 2006 16:30

zzz zzz

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: August 4, 2006 16:44

A friend of mine saw them in Ft Lauderdale last year and i thought he said they did Happy during the encore.

We don't need any more threads on setlists or warhorses but this guy's right - Torn & Frayed is a song we're more likely to hear live by someone other than the Rolling Stones.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2022
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home