Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Who is no longer The Who
Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: August 1, 2006 05:47

I love Pete and Roger and has seen them live back in the day. But they are not The Who with the line-up they have. At what point are they "not The Who"........

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Re: OT: The Who is no longer The Who
Posted by: RDNZL ()
Date: August 1, 2006 07:25

When they all die you clown. The Who s music lives on and should still be played live while Pete and Roger still breathe. Lets remember there are only 3 original Stones in the current line up.

Posted by: RollingStonesUSA ()
Date: August 1, 2006 08:40

I absolutly love this lineup, and will go see them on the U.S. tour....

"It's Good To Be Here, It's Good To Be Anywhere"-Keith Richards

"Halloween Is Every Night Of My Life"-Keith Richards

"I Got The Sticky Fingers, For Some Girls"

Posted by: stonethobo ()
Date: August 1, 2006 10:05

they rock

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: August 1, 2006 10:07

Saw the who in Madrid some days ago, saw them in LA in 2002: they gave both times a lesson about how to rock. They actually play rock in a way the stones don't do. And, also, they have some really good new songs.

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: August 1, 2006 10:39

RDNZL wrote:

> When they all die you clown. The Who s music lives on and should still be played live while Pete and Roger still breathe. Lets remember there are only 3 original Stones in the current line up.

---------------------------------------------------

That it is !!!!

I agree to "RDNZL" and "stonethobo"

> they rock

** I saw them in Bonn 11. July 2006 ** GREAT !!***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-01 15:46 by satisfaction2.

Date: August 1, 2006 15:33

Right, they still rock. Saw them in Bonn / Germany. Maybe they should tour with the Stones together in US in fall. Much better presales then for sure for both.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 1, 2006 15:38

Now THAT would be a ticket!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 1, 2006 15:40

The Who are still viable as far as I'm concerned.
The Ox was probably more pivotal in their sound than Bill ever was in the Stones... and you can't really substitute moon the loon.
But they still rock big time and PT has , if anything, gotten better and better as a guitarist as the years have passed.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: August 1, 2006 16:21

Wire and Glass is pretty ordinary IMHO. Even Real Good Looking Boy and Old Red Wine are better.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: August 1, 2006 16:50

Yes, and the Stones are no longer the stones, the Eagles are no longer the Eagles and Bob Dylan is no longer Bob Dylan (his voice left the band in the 1980s).

I saw the Who a few weeks ago and as far as I'm concerned they are one of the best acts I have ever seen. You should go and see them and then comment. I promise you that you will be surprised!

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: August 1, 2006 19:16

I first saw The Who in 75...and over the years have seen the various "versions" of the band.

Having seen two shows on the recent tour I can confirm that PT is on fire and plays with as much energy as in the past. RD has slowed up a bit and at times was straining to hit the notes......however, despite the lack of two "original" members, if you go to see them this autumn it will be a great gig.

The live sound is still The Who.

This was the first time I`d seen them since JAE died. Reports from previous tours suggested that Pino Palladino , on bass, wasn`t a suitable replacement...too low in the mix and playng a bit safe.....on this tour he is loud and is playing many great runs.

If you can bypass the Cohl presale and grab a ticket you should go......

I`m not suggesting The Who are better than the Stones.....(who I`ll see in a couple of weeks),they are a different band ......they are great...but in a different way!

Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: August 1, 2006 19:50

the Who rocks harder than most new bands,I think everyone who wants to rock needs to see Pete in action.great writer,greater gutarists...Nothing but respect since they are finally doing new material.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: August 1, 2006 20:13

bigfrankie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I love Pete and Roger and has seen them live back
> in the day. But they are not The Who with the
> line-up they have. At what point are they "not The
> Who"........

Pete Townshend has said - many times - that "what you're seeing now isn't The Who". And he's right. Moon and Entwistle, Townshend and Daltrey WERE The Who. What remains are one of the best rock singers ever singing some of the best EVER songs written since the 1960s, twinned with one of the best guitarists and instinctive singers of harmonies ever, who also happens to have penned said best EVER songs too. No, it's not The Who, but it's one f-k of a great gig! Stop quibbling, dribbling and dithering! Buy your ticket, go to the show and have fun. It rocks, they rock and the songs rock.

Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: August 1, 2006 20:22

Nikolai Wrote:
> bigfrankie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I love Pete and Roger and has seen them live
> back
> > in the day. But they are not The Who with the
> > line-up they have. At what point are they "not
> The
> > Who"........
>
>
> Pete Townshend has said - many times - that "what
> you're seeing now isn't The Who". And he's right.
> Moon and Entwistle, Townshend and Daltrey WERE The
> Who. What remains are one of the best rock
> singers ever singing some of the best EVER songs
> written since the 1960s, twinned with one of the
> best guitarists and instinctive singers of
> harmonies ever, who also happens to have penned
> said best EVER songs too. No, it's not The Who,
> but it's one f-k of a great gig! Stop quibbling,
> dribbling and dithering! Buy your ticket, go to
> the show and have fun. It rocks, they rock and
> the songs rock.

You took all the words out of my mouth,I have nothing else on this subject.except..IT ROCKS,THEY ROCK,and the SONGS ROCK!!!!

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: August 1, 2006 20:50

Where is it written that a band ceases to be when one or two memebers dies or leaves? There are very few bands around that haven't changed members at some point. In the case of The Who, they have two out of the four original members, and the two most important ones at that. They are still The Who.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: August 1, 2006 21:28

The last time I saw theWHO was at MSG, The Concert For New York and their 4 song set almost tore the roof off! THEY CAN ROCK, I'm just not sure I'll spend my money on them this tour; I have seen them about 5 times and the first two times were awesome! 1971 and 1972, Tommy, Who's Next and Keith Moon, John Entwhistle. Need I say more? Townsend's windmill arm( that he stole from Keith!) Do you all know Townsend stole his famous windmill arm move from Keith? He saw Keith warming up for a gig in the early 60's, they shared the bill, and Keith was loosening up his arm, Pete loved the way the move looked, and he " borrowed" it! Keith never reclaimed it, not sure Keith ever did it on stage, probably not.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: August 1, 2006 21:49

They are half of the original foursome and still tour 40+ years since
they formed; if you've never seen them before, they satisify the casual
concert go-er; it's unfair to compare them to 20yrs ago, as it is to compare
the Rolling Stones to 20yrs ago. But both are still together touring and
recording..Imagine if the Beatles didn't hate one another and continued to
tour and record...I think results would be the same..they're not the band
they were 20yrs ago, album stinks, song selection terrible. My guess is that
if the Beatles didn't implode, they would have gone downhill bigtime;

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 1, 2006 22:40

20 years ago The Who weren't even together. They had called it quits.

They should call the current thing "Townshend & Daltry sing the songs of The Who"

If two guys can call themselves The Who, could one?

Would it be OK if Pete did it?

In 10 years could Mick tour with a bunch of musicans and call it The Rolling Stones?

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: August 1, 2006 22:53

This thread could end up getting silly.......here we go then (with tongue firmly in cheek!)......

The Who live today has 2 original members and 4 other musicians.....33.3% of musicians on stage are "the Who"

The Stones live today has 3 original members and 9 other musicians.....25% of musicians on stage are "The Rolling Stones"

Don`t get irate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take this as a joke!

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: August 1, 2006 23:01

loog droog Wrote:
> 20 years ago The Who weren't even together. They
> had called it quits.
>
> They should call the current thing "Townshend &
> Daltry sing the songs of The Who"
>
> If two guys can call themselves The Who, could
> one?
>
> Would it be OK if Pete did it?
>
> In 10 years could Mick tour with a bunch of
> musicans and call it The Rolling Stones?

As Pete once said in a half joking, half serious way "Roger and I have talked it over, and if one more of us dies we are going to stop calling it The Who."

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 2, 2006 01:05

I guess for alot of old bands touring these days, it depends on who owns the groups name. Temptations are still touring with only one original member (all the rest have unfortunately passed away). I think Mike Love still tours as the Beach Boys even though he's the only original member.
Legal action from other former band members has forced some to change their names, like Creedence Clearwater Revisited, Doors of the 21st century, etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1432
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home