Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Nov 30,1981 Silverdome...Detroit Rock city!!
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: March 7, 2006 01:29

Opening acts...Iggy Pop!!!...Santana...80.000....There used to be such a big Stones army over there!I have a tape.from this huge gig...sounding really.really bad....still like it ...dammm I do!Just wondered tonight that there must be better recordings!!If I listen real good...I do..it was a good...big ,huge gig...those Detroit fans was so loud!!!Also in 78!!Wich brings me to a questions? 1.Is it on bootleg?(lp) 2.more tape recordings???And know Detroit ..got big problems now...It might be not a big base for the Stones anymore..wich is strange..cause they ruled over there....I also think a lot of people from canada..go to Detroit everytime the Stones ..play there..Well anyway love to hear good recordings from this two nights!!!I know in 89 they rocked the Silverdome again!!they loved,,silverdome Pontiac,mi,,again two times!!!Recordings?Pics?94 dec1 again the Silverdome Detriot....one time this lounge tour...Well you will have to help me with 97-99-02-till the last detroit gig!!??The bowl..right??What happened over there???Or is Detroit a ghosttown nowadays?Where did that huge Stones Army go??Answers?Picture s? Recordings?Stories?Im fuc-ing hungry and intrested!Detroit Rock city!!!Iggy Pop-The MC5-Mich ryder-Motown-Aretha-Meg-and more and more ..I do understand tis was a tough hardworking R&Rling crowd!!!Remember that 69boot '''We never really.....until Detroit?(by the by in 1975 they did the Cobo hallen!!!!Man how stoned they sound!!!So does the crowd!!!

Re: Nov 30,1981 Silverdome...Detroit Rock city!!
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 7, 2006 01:33

Both Detroit (or Pontiac) shows from 1981, is released on a 4CD set "Going To A Go Go" in excellent soundboard. I haven't heard it. I've got Pontiac 97 on tape, but pretty bad recording. This was one of the only (or THE only) show they did Just My Imagination.

Date: March 7, 2006 01:36

Erik_Snow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Both Detroit (or Pontiac) shows from 1981, is
> released on a 4CD set "Going To A Go Go" in
> excellent soundboard. I haven't heard it. I've got
> Pontiac 97 on tape, but pretty bad recording. This
> was one of the only (or THE only) show they did
> Just My Imagination.

Thats right Snow..and that was a good version!

Date: March 7, 2006 01:49

I have to confess I first became Stones hooked at the age of 12...one year later came Kiss...so I can say for a kid...kiss was a exiting band...And there Alive album wasrecorded in Detroit!!!It became there breakthrough in the US...I remember rocking to that!!My little punky hardrocking friends..was Kiss mad!!!It was just so funny..the way I defended the Stones!!!One thing is for sure..they shocked the world till 84!!And after that they ruled the R& people!But Where is Detroit????

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 7, 2006 02:34

both 1981 shows are available in soundboard quality on the Rocks Off tracker

Which is a subtle hint to anyone who still has the 30/11 show on their hard drive to open a window for it so I can complete the download...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-07 02:35 by Gazza.

Date: March 7, 2006 02:48

Their 78 Detroit gig sounded..hot.

Date: March 7, 2006 03:26

The Detroit 1978 is one of the best concerts in soundboard quality. I believe they didn't swing that good in Detroit 1975? At least not the 2nd show (?)
They played the Cobo Hall in 75, but changed to Masonic Hall in 78. Somebody knows the audience capasity?
I find it wierd that both the 1970 tour, and the 1978 tour, almost only consists of "one-concert-per-city"-shows. Unlike all the others in 60s/70s/80s. Was it Charlie who decided that?

Date: March 7, 2006 03:28

probably because in each case they were short tours, so I guess it maximises the number of people who see the band in a short time

Date: March 7, 2006 03:32

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> The Detroit 1978 is one of the best concerts in
> soundboard quality. I believe they didn't swing
> that good in Detroit 1975? At least not the 2nd
> show (?)
> They played the Cobo Hall in 75, but changed to
> Masonic Hall in 78. Somebody knows the audience
> capasity?
> I find it wierd that both the 1970 tour, and the
> 1978 tour, almost only consists of
> "one-concert-per-city"-shows. Unlike all the
> others in 60s/70s/80s. Was it Charlie who decided
> that?

Cobo hall is not that good..they do sound tired..but not a tame show..nt at all...like the boot.

Date: March 7, 2006 03:34

Yes, but other tours like 69 or 73 lasted just as long, but were more concerts. And wouldn't you sell more tickets, if you stayed in big cities for several gigs, instead of moving with a 2-day-break?
In 69 and 73, there were very often 2 shows each place, and often 3 (in 73).
Eeeh, But then again, they didn't think as much of money back then, as now.

Date: March 7, 2006 03:39

rooster Wrote:
> Cobo hall is not that good..they do sound
> tired..but not a tame show..nt at all...like the
> boot.
>

I actually don't have this one. I got to make more money before I can buy it. Perhaps I can go on tour, with a guitar, manager, fireworks and everything. That could work.

Date: March 7, 2006 03:41

If you used to collect bootlegs....my first boot was ''Stone Age''live San Diego 69..I have yet to hear....Detroit 69...hectic times.

Date: March 7, 2006 03:52

Stone Age? The LP? Cool.
The first I got was tapes, from a Stones-book-writer I wrote to when I was a kid. Brussels Affair and Get Your Leeds Lungs Out, on tape. I think Welcome To New York was the first I bought. In 92 or 93. That's probably 15 years after yours..?
I always wondered about....there is supposed to be 3 songs from Detroit 69 in soundboard quality. Where can they be found, and how is the quality (muddy or good)?

Date: March 7, 2006 04:23

I can remember the white lp s around 79 collors came to theboots

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: March 7, 2006 08:32

I was there at that show Rooster, drove up in the bad weather and back to Indianpolis right after the show! Thought the Stones were great. Have no memories of Santana. Talk about the "prophet and no honer in his home town" cliche, weren't people throwing stuff at Iggy? I remember being hyped that Iggy would be there too, but all I remember is that he did not go over well. I recently got the soundboard of this from someplace...think maybe it was off the Rocks Off tracker... a bit bass heavy but otherwise an excellant SBD.

Date: March 7, 2006 10:18

kahoosier Wrote:
> I was there at that show Rooster, drove up in the
> bad weather and back to Indianpolis right after
> the show! Thought the Stones were great. Have no
> memories of Santana. Talk about the "prophet and
> no honer in his home town" cliche, weren't people
> throwing stuff at Iggy? I remember being hyped
> that Iggy would be there too, but all I remember
> is that he did not go over well. I recently got
> the soundboard of this from someplace...think
> maybe it was off the Rocks Off tracker... a bit
> bass heavy but otherwise an excellant SBD.

Thanks for your story..they threw things to Pop..thars right!wasnt Prince also there?

Date: March 7, 2006 11:58

Prince played in LA on that tour - and got bottled off

Stones fans were a tolerant bunch in 1981!

Posted by: barcelona ()
Date: March 7, 2006 13:37

Gazza Wrote:
> Prince played in LA on that tour - and got bottled
> off
>
> Stones fans were a tolerant bunch in 1981!

Yes. And Prince after that went to Jagger's dressing room crying like a baby, so Jagger told him "Come on Princey, what did you expect if you perform dressed only with female underwear in front of a Stones fan audience".

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: March 7, 2006 14:20

Actually Iggy wore a dress at that Detroit show, so not surprising they were throwing things at him.

Speaking of Prince, he was brilliant on the Brit awards, what a great guitar player, and Sheila E is still gorgeous

Date: March 7, 2006 14:25

Iggy Pop is from Detroit, isn't he?
How did they have the nerve to throw things?

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: March 7, 2006 14:54

Maybe it is old acid fog, but I think at the end Iggy had removed the dress or lifted it basicaly showing his skinny ass in nothing but either balck leatard or pantyhose. Hmmm i was a long way away and real f##cked up at that point, but that is when I really remember crap flying at the stage.

Date: March 8, 2006 01:31

Transported a woman from Detroit to the hospital..today..here in old holland!!!She told me Detroit is in bad,bad condition..like a city under siege...its just gone and so did the people(moved everywhere...if posible)the suburbs are there...still...Stones army gone!!this person was in pain!and its so strange..after this thread I met someone from Detroit!Thanks fo the post!

Date: March 8, 2006 17:46

Rooster, you asked her about July 6th 1978 ? smiling smiley

Date: March 8, 2006 17:59

barcelona Wrote:
> Gazza Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Prince played in LA on that tour - and got
> bottled
> > off
> >
> > Stones fans were a tolerant bunch in 1981!
>
>
> Yes. And Prince after that went to Jagger's
> dressing room crying like a baby, so Jagger told
> him "Come on Princey, what did you expect if you
> perform dressed only with female underwear in
> front of a Stones fan audience".
>
>

as an opening act for The Rolling Stones in 1980, where he was infamously pelted with garbage whilst wearing underwear and a trenchcoat. Prince was actually booed off the stage that night while opening for the Stones... a clip of this was later used by Prince for his "Pop Life" single in 1985 (if you listen, you can actually hear one member of the audience yell "throw the bum out.")

>
>

Date: March 8, 2006 19:07

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> Rooster, you asked her about July 6th 1978 ?

No,I wanted to ask her but didnt...but her stories about Deroit were inresting&insightfull..all the time I made the link to this Detroit thread..I think I understand it now...The huge Stones army there is gone..so are large parts of motown!!No work..for the people..this woman told me its even more wors then in Cleveland!Snow this woman was anti-bush!You are right..Snow..I would like to know more about that 78 gig to!!

Date: March 8, 2006 19:53

I think that would have cheered her up. Being in the ambulance in Holland, and suddenly she's confronted with "Miss? Where were you on July 6th 1978? Hmmmm, I see..... What about November 30th 1981??" He. If she liked the Stones, at least.

Date: March 8, 2006 20:00

I did mention and I said ''Stones''I saw a smile on her face!The way she was I think she saw them..Stupid me!!

Date: March 8, 2006 20:05

I think Patti Smith lives in the suburbs of Detroit?The Stones did JMI(RAWM)as special gift to Detroit!!

Date: March 8, 2006 20:12

And in 72 they played the Cobo Hall two times with Stevie Wonder...Is the Cobo hall still intact??

Date: March 8, 2006 20:21

When 12 years old..I was also rocking to Ted Nungents Motor city Madhouse(shame on me!!)and the great white buffalo..Loved his music as a kid.He s so right wing!!Bah!!Still better than Bush!And we have the film...Detroit rock city ..wich is damm funny!!I heard it to the grapevine(oh my god!!!)that nowadays its very dangerous uptown Detroit city!!!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home