Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

top of the pops
Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: July 26, 2006 20:35

this programme is a british institution that is finally coming to an end. The Stones played on the first ever show. Im a bit vague about this but I think it was 1964 and "Its all over now". Anyway they have drafted in the original presenter, Jimmy Saville to present the last ever show. They should get the Stones to perform Biggest Mistake to bookmark the whole thing.....

Re: top of the pops
Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: July 26, 2006 20:49

I don't remember the first show, though I know it was 1964, but TOTP was essential viewing for teenagers for many years.

I remember seeing the Stones performing HTW when in the charts, and after reading the lyrics reproduced in a music magazine, thought well...they seem interesting !
From then on it's been an uphill and downhill journey following them on and off through the years.

The very last broadcast of the show is on Sunday, compered by the legendary Jimmy Saville who introduced the show 42 years ago.

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: July 26, 2006 21:07

On BBC news today said they will go the archives. But no specific mention of the Stones.

Posted by: maine road ()
Date: July 26, 2006 21:13

On an earlier thread I was informed that the Stones feature on the last ever TOTP will be of them performing 'The Last Time'back in the 1960's

I think that on the first ever TOTP the Stones performed 'I Wanna Be Your Man'

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 27, 2006 13:39

Just found this......

[www.albumvote.co.uk]

Posted by: andrew9148 ()
Date: July 27, 2006 13:56

awesome any word on song choice?

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 27, 2006 14:00

I would have thought it'll be from a recent gig or the archives..... can't imagine they'll be in the studio. We'd have heard about it otherwise?

Posted by: andrew9148 ()
Date: July 27, 2006 14:01

no live performance from stones. google news records what went on.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 27, 2006 14:01

Why in the studio? I thought this is a live show?
I would say they either play Streets Of Love, Biggest Mistake or Brown Sugar grinning smiley

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: July 27, 2006 14:02

see previous thread on subject:-

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()

Way cool. I hope this is true.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Lorenz ()

andrew9148 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> no live performance from stones. google news
> records what went on.

do you have a link please?

Date: July 27, 2006 14:04

The show opens with a black and white film clip from 1964 of 'The Last Time'.

Date: July 27, 2006 14:08

Further update from the British Broadcasting Corporation -

Curtain falls on Top of the Pops
Savile presented the first Top of the Pops and will co-host the last
Savile's memories
Recording has ended for the final edition of Top of the Pops at BBC Television Centre in London.
Just under 200 members of the public were in the audience for the programme, co-hosted by veteran disc jockey Sir Jimmy Savile, its very first presenter.

Janice Long also returned to record links for the show's swansong, alongside Tony Blackburn and Mike Read.

But no live bands took part in the programme, which will instead feature celebrity tributes and archive footage.

The programme will be shown on Sunday, 30 July.

Classic performances from the Spice Girls, Wham, Madonna, Beyonce Knowles and Robbie Williams will feature in the show alongside the Rolling Stones - the very first band to appear on Top of the Pops.

As is customary, it will conclude with this week's number one single.

As no-one knows what that record will be, presenters recorded six different endings for this Sunday's show.

Among the potential number one artists are Rhianna, Lily Allen, Shakira and McFly.

Most shows don't last 42 days - we lasted 42 years
Sir Jimmy Savile

"At the moment Shakira looks like she's nudged back up to number one," said HMV spokesman Genarro Castaldo, "but there could be a swing at the weekend."

Speaking on BBC Breakfast, Sir Jimmy, 79, said it was "terrific" to be hosting the show's final broadcast.

"Most shows don't last 42 days - we lasted 42 years," he said. "You can only feel incredibly proud."

DJ Dave Lee Travis, who hosted the show between 1972 and 1984, also attended the studio recording.

The so-called "Hairy Cornflake" attributed the show's demise after 42 years to its failure to keep up with its target audience.

"If you look at your average kid who might be interested in Top of the Pops, they'll have their iPod in one hand, a mobile phone in the other, they'll be playing a computer with their feet and have a Wi-Fi aerial sticking on the top of their head.

"There's just too much stuff out there," he continued. "Everything's becoming marginalised."

Trevor Dann, who was head of music entertainment at the BBC from 1996 to 2000, agreed.

"It was a great brand in its day and it's probably had enough."

He added: "We can all remember great moments of Top of the Pops, like Culture Club or Jimi Hendrix.

"We remember them because we watched the telly as a family in those days, and people just don't do that now."

Top of the Pops was first broadcast on New Year's Day 1964, from a converted church in Manchester.

The first show, presented by Sir Jimmy, featured the Rolling Stones, Dusty Springfield, the Dave Clark Five and the Beatles.

During the programme's 1970s heyday, it would regularly attract 15 million viewers.

But in recent years the show saw a marked decline in viewing figures in the face of plummeting singles sales and the growth of 24-hour music channels.

Story from BBC NEWS:
[news.bbc.co.uk]

Published: 2006/07/26 20:37:55 GMT

© BBC MMVI

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1834
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home