Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Bob Dylan "Modern Times" Excellent CD Cover !!!
Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: July 12, 2006 13:35

You can see the cover photo/design for the new Dylan Album on www.bobdylan.com (coming out in August) What do you think of it? I think it's GREAT. Dylan's last covers have been really good IMHO (being a Photographer)....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-12 13:37 by MicksBrain.

Re: OT: Bob Dylan "Modern Times" Excellent CD Cover !!!
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 12, 2006 13:39

What's the cab/car Micksbrain...late 40's Buick...Packard...Desoto?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 12, 2006 13:40

Yaeh, looks great. There is certainly a Chaplinisque feeling or element involved.

- Doxa

Date: July 12, 2006 14:05

Rockman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's the cab/car Micksbrain...late 40's
> Buick...Packard...Desoto?

Yeah Rockman, It's a bit too blurry but one of those 40's era classics...that's what I love about the cover - not really what one would consider "Modern Times" at first mention.... Heard it's another great one musically, looking forward to it (last one came out on 9/11/2001 in the states - spooky)

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: July 12, 2006 14:11

never judge a CD by its . . . oh @#$%& it, this is zimmy we're talking about! i can't wait!

Date: July 12, 2006 14:11

Maybe Mr bob is saying they were the Modern
Times and we've gone backwards since then....?

ROCKMAN

Date: July 12, 2006 14:20

Could be, the guy is 65(?) I think and he's still saying SO MUCH. I love "Things Have Changed" - still writing great stuff. Going Backwards, that's for sure, feels like it...

Date: July 12, 2006 15:03

Bob left us a bunch of hints about Modern Times
way back at the World Gone Wrong ranch...

I've Got Blood In My Eyes & World Gone Wrong can be
found on Mississippi Shieks - Stop & Listen Yazoo 2006

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: July 12, 2006 15:08

I'd prefer to see Bob himself shown on the cover . . . but maybe he'll be elsewhere in the packaging. I also would love to see a photo of Bob with the band he tours with. It's been a while since we've seen a full band on the cover of a Dylan album. Off the top of my head, I think that may have happened last with the 1975 release of the Basement Tapes on Columbia.

It's a long wait for the album, but I'm excited about it.

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: July 12, 2006 15:09

good sleuthing rockman

thats one of the things about dylan...he's very consistent...also that terrible movie he did , masked and anonymous, maybe played on that theme a bit

the album cover reminds me of luna's penthouse!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-12 15:11 by stoned_in_dc.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: July 12, 2006 15:26

According to last week's London Observer, there are at least three absolute classics on the album.

August 28th can't come quick enough.

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: July 12, 2006 16:35

Prettty naff cover in my opinion but it's the music inside that counts so hoping it will be as good as all the hype

Andy

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 12, 2006 17:23

not so excited about the cover - like someone else said - I'd prefer a pic of the man (and band?)....but, the music is all that will ultimately matta....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 12, 2006 17:33

posted this over on Rocks Off last week..heres a copy and paste for those interested :

unconfirmed tracklisting :

1. Thunder on the Mountain (Modern Times) 2. Spirit on the Water 3. Rollin' and Tumblin' 4. When the Deal Goes Down 5. Someday Baby 6. Workingman's Blues 7. Beyond the Horizon 8. Nettie Moore 9. The Levee's Gonna Break 10. Ain't Talkin'

supposedly, tracks 6, 8 and 10 are the absolute killers. The album lasts 60 minutes.

Theres an interesting piece on the new "Uncut" by one of their writers was at the Sony "preview" of the album in New York on June 6th. I've reproduced an abridged summary of it below.

"Think...of 'Love and Theft' and 'The Basement Tapes', and the way in which the songs on those albums seemed to have been put together from a thousand old blues phrases, snatchs of folklore, old stories and scraps of legend....crunching Chicago-style blues and the '30's jump-jazz first essayed on 'Love and Theft' are also musical touchstones. Dylan, traditionally cavalier in the studio, apparently spent uncharacteristically long hours working on his vocal tracks. As a result, he gives a performance thats positively Sinatra-esque in it's sly mastery of phrasing and heartfelt feeling. ; it ranks amongst his best ever singing. In producing, arranging and bandleading too, he's handled every aspect of 'Modern Times' with consummate care and attention...

As to whether the one-time spokesman for a generation has responded to the desperate state of his country since 'Love and Theft' was released - by ominous coincidence om September 11, 2001 , the day that change America forever - the answer is, as always, "in a way". There is no mention of planes crashing into the World Trade Center, war in the Middle east, world terrorism or george Bush. But the blues and folk traditions in which Dylan has rooted himself since 1992's "Good As I Been To You" allow him to allude to such matters in a primal, timeless, manner. Just as "High Water", the standout track on "Love and Theft", seemed eerily to anticipate some incipient natural catastrophe - Hurricane Katrina springs to mind - so images of bad weather, plagues and poverty blow through 'Modern Times'. the overall feeling is of decent, ordinary Americans gathering against apocalyptic uncertainty ; storms not of their making..

A final question comes up about now. is there anything here thats fit to stand beside Dylan's most deathless work? Unequivocally, yes. There are several candidates. But look out most of all for a song that combines blue-collar country music with the gutsy politics of "Infidels' protectionist, pro-US worker "Union Sundown", and Dylan's pro-farmers speech at 'Live Aid'. All this and it's a love song - and one with a hint, after too many years, of the swirling majesty of 'Like A Rolling Stone'.

Date: July 12, 2006 18:15

interesting.. if it lasts 60 minutes that means there must be some real epics! with only 10 songs you just have to figure...

Date: July 12, 2006 18:18

dc: yeah, but that's about on par with the last two albums - 10 songs for an hour's worth. the word is that the final song is the epic...I'm guessing in the same vein as Highlands....

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: July 12, 2006 18:20

Some of these titles sound like "traditional" material but i am guessing that they are mostly Bob originals.

Andy

Date: July 12, 2006 18:48

they are ALL originals, nashville....

Taxi, New York Night
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: July 12, 2006 23:14

>the album cover reminds me of luna's penthouse!

Good catch: both photos were taken by the same photographer, Ted Croner. The Dylan cover photo was taken in 1947. From his obit (he just died last year):

Some of his most famous images captured New York at night. For "Central Park
South," dated 1947-48, Croner shot the skyline with streaks of light forming
the shapes of buildings. Another photograph, "Taxi, New York Night," also dated
1947-48, shows a car in motion, shot from a low angle, a blur of chrome and
lights.

Date: July 12, 2006 23:18

The Dylan cover photo for an album dubbed "Modern Times" was shot in 1947? Classic Bob!

Date: July 12, 2006 23:20

I LOVE the very deep research IORR members do around here. I'm gonna have to check out this Photographer, like his work. Thanks Glam Descendant

Date: July 12, 2006 23:23

yah thanks Glam Descendant .. you just made my day! i'm a huge fan of luna's penthouse...and thats just a neat connection...

Date: July 12, 2006 23:28

Stoned, did you see my BA neighborhood questions on the football thread?

Date: July 12, 2006 23:29

not yet..i'll go check it out

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: July 13, 2006 13:43

Any one know the bonus DVD content?

Date: July 13, 2006 17:04

DVD content not yet announced - but here's a listing that includes track running times:

1. Thunder on the Mountain (5:57) 2. Spirit on the Water (7:44) 3. Rollin' and Tumblin' (6:03) 4. When the Deal Goes Down (5:06) 5. Someday Baby (4:57) 6. Workingman's Blues (6:09) 7. Beyond the Horizon (5:38) 8. Nettie Moore (6:54) 9. The Levee's Gonna Break (5:45) 10. Ain't Talkin' (8:48). Released on August 28th.

Date: July 13, 2006 23:02

Hey....Rollin' and Tumblin' is that a
cover of the Baby Face Leroy/Muddy Waters
number or is it a Dylan penned composition..?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: July 13, 2006 23:17

Sounds like a cool album, if its anything like Dylan's last few albums than we are in for another winner. Thanks for all the info.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: July 13, 2006 23:24

A Japanese site has this listed as the contents of the bonus DVD:

1. Cold Irons Bound (Live from Masked & Anonymous film)
2. Blood In My Eyes
3. Things Have Changed
4. Love Sick (Grammy Awards Performance)

Looks like the Soy Bomber is being immortalized!

Posted by: rbarnes00 ()
Date: July 13, 2006 23:47

Macca put childhood pics on his last album, didn't he?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 814
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home