Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Guitars on Ya Ya
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 19, 2006 18:23

Was discussing this with a friend: which guitars were used on Ya Ya and for which song?

And, above all, was Keith using a 345 for Rambler?

From the link MegaWatts sent one could argue he was about to use a strat for JJF (not yet capoed - but are we sure that JJF on Ya Ya is in open G?)

[www.wolfgangsvault.com]

C

Re: Guitars on Ya Ya
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 19, 2006 18:50

Hi Liddas. That pic looks to be from 1972 and is the guitar Keith would have used for Brown Sugar. As to the Ya Yas guitars here is what I know:

JJF: 1959 Les Paul Custom (The 3 PU model) tuned to oen G with capo at the 4th fret.
Oh Carol: Dan Armstrong
Stray Cat Blues: Probably the Armstrong
Love In Vain: ?
Midnight Rambler: You could be right about the 345. I know he used it for Littel Queenie
SFTD: The Armstrong (No not you Tod!)
Live With Me: Not sure. The guitar has a fatter tone than the Armstrong though.
Little Queenie: 345
Honky Tonk Women: '59 Les Paul With Bigsby
SFM: The LP Custom

I'm sure Mathijs or some other beter informed person than me will chime in soon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-19 21:26 by ChrisM.

Date: July 19, 2006 20:24

ChrisM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Liddas. That pic looks to be from 1972 and is
> the guitar Keith would have used for Brown Sugar.

Right, but the credits say it was made on Nov 69!

Thank you for the info!

Why so few pics of the 69 tour?

C

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 19, 2006 20:24

So the caption on the picture is wrong? Says Nov. 27, 1969.

Date: July 19, 2006 20:49

Yes, it is wrong. Look at the necklace Keith is wearing that has the Rolling Stones logo. This did not exist in 1969. Also Keith appears to be wearing clothes consistant with those he wore during the 1972 tour. (Check out Harold Coulson's great site) Also there's a famous photo taken of Keith by Annie Leibowitz in 1972 that shows Keith backstage sprawled in a chair wearing the same clothes and necklace. The Stratocaster is another give away as he did not use such a guitar during the '69 tour, at least that I know of!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-19 20:52 by ChrisM.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 19, 2006 21:00

If I remember correctly, the guitar used for Midnight Rambler is an ebony 1959 Gibson ES-355. From the footage I have seen until this day, Keith had four guitars on stage: a 1959 Gibson LP Custom strung to open G, the Armstrong, the '59 LP with Bigsby and the 355, with a capo on the 8th fret. This is what we know from the GS movie and some pictures:

Jumping Jack Flash: LP Custom
Carol: Armstrong
Sympathy For The Devil: Armstrong
Stray Cat Blues: judging purely on the sound on Ya-Ya's: Armstrong
Love In Vain: unknown, but it doesn't sound like the Armstrong to my ears.
Prodigal Son: National
You Gotta Move: National
Under My Thumb: Armstrong
Midnight Rambler: ES355
Live With Me: unknown, but judging to the sound it is the ES-355
Little Queenie: 355
Satisfaction: Armstrong
Honky Tonk Women: LP
Street Fighting Man: Custom

I bet Keith actually grabbed the guitars that were most handy at the time. For example, the Bigsby LP was Taylor's guitar so I bet Keith had to use it as a spare for some reason. I bet that when the Armstrong was totally out of tune Keith would just grab the 355 and take the capo off. The problem is that there are just so little pictures of this tour to eshtablish all the guitars he used.

Mathijs

Date: July 19, 2006 21:14

A great pity that there are so few published pics from this tour. I once asked Ethan Russell, who took many photos of the '69 tour, some of which I saw at the SF Art Exchange a few years back, when he was going to release a photo book on the tour and he told me that he had bought the book back from the publishers and was going to put it out later. That was over two years ago now. Ethan, we are wating!

Date: July 19, 2006 21:18

I just looked at Ethan's site (http://www.ethanrussell.com/) and he is working on the book now and he also looking to talk to people who attended the shows. If you were there give Ethan a hand and let him know what you experienced!

Date: July 19, 2006 21:42

Thank you all for the info!

C

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1394
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home