Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Stones Swing Sound
Posted by: guy ()
Date: July 12, 2006 19:31

Got my tickets this morning, even though I have been worried about the stones, keith, ronnie etc, I AM STILL SO DAMN EXCITED! LONG LIVE THE ROLLING STONES.
Read a couple of reviews from people on here and the word that comes up is they have got a swing in their sound, which having heard a few numbers from their website I agree with.
My tickets are D3 at Twickenham which LOOKS near the Bstage but not really entirely clear, anyone else know any more? I thought the setlist looked reasonable last night, I'd be very happy with it, although I would not mind if they played for 90 mins IF they played as FAST as they used to in 75, 78, 81 etc
I really miss their manic speed, the two times they get excitingly close is on Live Licks on SFM, which I just love, and on WTWCD, which is amazing!

Re: The Stones Swing Sound
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 12, 2006 20:11

Charlie is the swing catalyst - without him, they would probably sound remarkably unremarkable and indistinguishable from many other rock acts....

Posted by: phd ()
Date: July 12, 2006 20:23

From Milan, I must say that he was on top of the mastering of his drums. What a wonderful Stone. Always there. Thanks to Him.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 12, 2006 20:52

I agree with Tod to large degree.
Charlie is a "swing" drummer and is rock solid. Those of us who've tried to capture a Stones groove in our own bands or with mates have quickly realised that without a seriously good drummer, it just can't happen.
The guitars have to be able to hang off the beat or anticipate it. Poor drummers start to follow you when you do that...and it ends up sounding like a Stus Quo shuffle ;^) [Nothing against the Quo...but you get my drift.]

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 13, 2006 02:15

I agree about Charlie, but very few "rock" bands play guitars like Keith & Ron, most generally having a more on-the-beat style, more leaden riffing, & specific parts they play, or else post-Keith Levene atmospherics...And very few have vocalists of the calibre of Mick.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1612
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home