Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Do you like how Stones play in ABB tour?
Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: July 4, 2006 23:37

I have to say that I don't.I mean I became fan beacuse of the B2B dvd but the next tours are not that good.Licks basicaly have destroyed, at least in the official dvd I have,satisfaction with the silly backing vocals especially in Madison Square garden.But licks had some great moments like Midnight Rambler,etc.
I mean now they play the songs completely wrong.Buenos Aires concert isn't very ,very dull?The whole show starts to sink when the play Miss you and they are moving to the center.Honky tonk woman,not hard at all.Again satisfaction is played bad.I don't know but I think Mick destroys most of the songs beacuse of the way he chooses to perform them.What do you think?

Re: Do you like how Stones play in ABB tour?
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 4, 2006 23:39

Have you seen them in concert this year or last year?

Posted by: Bockwuchsd ()
Date: July 4, 2006 23:49

The Stones are definitely not on top on this tour. Some of their shows I have seen so far on DVD are rather lame. The Rio show is kinda boring too.

Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: July 4, 2006 23:50

I think they are bored with the warhorses they come alive on new songs and the few ones they dont play everynight

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 5, 2006 00:03

If you are there its heaven...If you hear it afterwards..it sometimes(this is the case since 99) sounds like jagger try to save his voice..for the sake of the show..its age also you have to accept and the shows are longer than they used to be..but from what I heard yes I like it.thought I wanna hear more new ones.

Date: July 5, 2006 00:08

Rooster, that's very true. It's always fantastic to be there, they're spectacular, but as Leonard K said one time; it's hardto hear differences between, let's say, "Brown SUgar" in 1990 and in 2002.
I tend to listen to the "new at the time" songs, when I put on a Stones boot after 1989..."Don't Stop" 2002/03, "Mixed Emotions" 89/90, etc. And ofcourse, some songs that were "special" at the tour, like "2000 light Years" in 89/90 is a real treat.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: July 5, 2006 00:12

I saw the Stones twice this tour,
both times in Toronto, the Phoenix
and at the Rogers Centre. I thought
both shows were excellent. For what
it's worth, I've been going to see
them since the SG Tour, and hope to
continue to be able to see them
live for a good many years to
come. A pox on the nay sayers!

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 5, 2006 00:18

I think they're playing slightly better on this tour than on Licks, but it's a mixed blessing. On Licks, you had a greater variety of songs, which while it was great that they were shaking things up, they didn't know the songs as well as the usual suspects, so they weren't played with the same confidence/assurance/whatever. Of course, the flip side to that argument is that the band was gassed to play different stuff, so who knows? This tour, the set lists are more static, so the band might be more comfortable with the songs.

As always, Ronnie's condition on any given night plays a big role. I think Keith's been focusing more this tour, which is good - less posing means fewer missed chords. Mick & Charlie, of course, are the two constants.

I guess I've lowered the bar, but I'm happy with how they've been playing. Just as long as it doesn't get worse.

Posted by: glimmer twin 81 ()
Date: July 5, 2006 00:20

i like the way they play abb tour
ycagwyw is pretty good sung by mick

Date: July 5, 2006 00:24

Yeah..Erik but the 1989/90 versions of Satisfaction and Midnight Ramble were very strong vocal wise.

Posted by: glimmer twin 81 ()
Date: July 5, 2006 00:25

steel wheels was pretty shitty

Date: July 5, 2006 00:27

davido Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I saw the Stones twice this tour,
> both times in Toronto, the Phoenix
> and at the Rogers Centre. I thought
> both shows were excellent. For what
> it's worth, I've been going to see
> them since the SG Tour, and hope to
> continue to be able to see them
> live for a good many years to
> come. A pox on the nay sayers!

I thought the Toronto show really was a highlight..I ove it!!much energy!

Date: July 5, 2006 00:31

Rooster, yes of course there are exceptions. I'm just saying that "very often" the interesting songs to listen at, on recent Stones boots, are the newer ones, or "special" ones. I think the "warhorses" works best, when you're actually present at the concert.

Date: July 5, 2006 01:28

Thats true...thats why I vote for a shorter show.

Posted by: ron091 ()
Date: July 5, 2006 08:29

I've seen them four times so far - twice at MSG in Jan amongst them.

They are playing just as well as anything they have done since 1989. Ronnie, in fact, is just great. Keith's occasional flubs are due to his arthritis in my opinion. Charlie is just Charlie and Mick's singing has never been better.

If there is any problem with the tour, it's the setlist. If they would show more imagination than just throwing in the occasional Sway and Night Time is the Right Time, then everyone would have been ecstatic.

An occasional theatre show wouldn't have hurt matters either.

Otherwise, please stop complaining about their playing. It's just fine. You'll find out soon enough for yourselves in Europe.

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: July 5, 2006 09:43

i must agree with ron,saw 5 shows this tour the 2 stallar ones for me were garden in sept 05,stunning show,set list ,performances,a flawless night.also ft lauderdale in march,was a phenomenal show.giant stadium was a great outdoor show.1st phillie show in oct 05,was the only night they played pooorly(for there standards)some great moments,but a real sloppy show.msg in jan 18,started off a little shaky,but 2nd half was great.

john scialfa

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: July 5, 2006 09:45

In Durham and the 2nd night in Philly, I thought they played really well. As John just mentioned, the 1st night in Philly wasn't as good. Still really good sound and mix.

Posted by: abb05 ()
Date: July 5, 2006 09:58

I have no complaints from 5 US shows. I always feel fortunate just being there.... my only wish would be for less posing and more playing. Looking forward to 5 more in August!

Posted by: Bockwuchsd ()
Date: July 5, 2006 10:03

The thing is that with ticket prices up to $400+ you just can't have a bad night. Yeah yeah I know, they are just human beings and everybody has bad day (or nights). Bui IMO if you let people pay that much money to see you perform you HAVE TO give 110% each and every fucken night. No excuse.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 5, 2006 12:01

Haven't seen a concert yet, but from what I've seen on bootleg DVDs and heard on bootleg CDs, I really like it. Reminds me of the 1994 Voodoo Lounge U.S. tour, where they were kindda punky in the way they played. I like that a lot.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: kaskatanas ()
Date: July 5, 2006 12:13

Seen in both Boston opening nights and watch lots of dvds..... My opinion they are playing harder and better than in the past tours!! And my god, no... MIck´s not destroying anything!! He´s doing the best tour in his life!! Maybe not in the way of be on the stage but yes in the way of sing!!!! Satisfaction in Buenos Aires played bad??? Umm.... I guess we watch different shows!!! Really a killer and fantastic version!! Just my opinion, of ocurse....

Posted by: Anderson ()
Date: July 5, 2006 13:10

Mick's singing better than ever??? Strange thing to read! From what I've heard from the boots form this tour, Mick's singing is mostly quite flat, and he's obviously saving his voice not to loose it - postpone-/cancel shows etc. There's hardly any growling and his voice has definitely become thinner since 1990 - 95 as well. We should have a designated thread discussing this. Still, looking forward to Koengen 1 September.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: July 5, 2006 13:48

I know boots do not provide much accuracy in terms of the real thing, but from what I have heard so far, they are sounding their best since 1990. The fatter, more heavier feel to the arrangements, on a decent sound system at last, seems to be doing the trick.

Posted by: ron091 ()
Date: July 5, 2006 14:08

The last comment reminds me about something - the loudness of the guitars and everything else this tour is startling. Just wait for it! The concerts are VERY loud. It's great!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-07-05 14:09 by ron091.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: July 5, 2006 14:16

ron091 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The last comment reminds me about something - the
> loudness of the guitars and everything else this
> tour is startling. Just wait for it! The
> concerts are VERY loud. It's great!

Thanks Ron091...for making me even more impatient!!!!

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: July 5, 2006 14:20

Shut up all you winers. The Bigger Bang tour was FANTASTIC until Keith's accident. The sound has been outstanding: loud and clear. I have attended two bigger bang shows, probably the two best Stones shows I've ever seen. The energy level is just amazing, I will say the same about the enthusiasm. A great, great tour. Please stop wining about their clothes and haircuts, please stop wining about the damn set lists. I have seen many modern hard-rocking bands this year (oasis, strokes, radiohead, queens of the stone age, arctic monkeys, tool, placebo) - and NO ONE can compete with the two bigger bang shows I attended september 2005.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: July 5, 2006 14:33

StratoGR, i strongly disagree with you. I had seen the Stones 4 times during Licks Tour: theér performances were clearly better than what i saw in Athens, 1998. Especially "Satisfaction".

Buenos Aires "dull"? You must be kidding!
"The whole show starts to sink when they play Miss you and they are moving to the center." I don't think so. HTW is stable. PIB and Brown Sugar, too. YCAGWYW, to me, perhaps the best version since 1989 and for sure the best Ronnie's solo on this song since then. And i find "Satisfaction" very well performed. In Athens 1998 "Satisfaction" was a kind of disappointment for a lot of people: Mick started to sing completely out of tune. And the band was cold during the first two songs. In Buenos Aires 2006 the band is on fire from the first riff of JJF to the end. That's the difference.

StratoGR maybe we have just different tastes and preferences. Nothing wrong with this, of course. But i have an inkling : you are angry because of the cancellations of the gigs (Athens included) and that's makes you a bit nihilist...

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: July 5, 2006 14:46

Something more: Milano will be my first gig on this tour. But i did a "poll" between 12 guys -friends and relations- who have seen the Stones in US and Canada during the northamerican leg of ABB tour. All of them are enthusiastic! And i have to say that they are very exacting guys...This means something i suppose.

Date: July 5, 2006 15:01

And I like even more what they dont play.

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: July 5, 2006 15:14

No I am not angry beacuse I try not to think it seriously.But as I said I was sent by kaskatanas 8 shows on dvds,which two of them are from this tour.The good with this dvds is that they have good quality of picture and sound.On the others like AC'89 I can hardly hear Keith's guitar.For me the best versions of satisfaction was the one in B2B tour and the one in Steel Wheels.
I just have a great time watching the previous which are far more impressive visualy and from the point of music.Is there any cooler guy like Keith of voodoo lounge tour on JJF or in AC'89 again in the same song where he slips from one side to another(I can't describe it well in English).
But in general the top of all these is that I hear in almost every tune the voice of Lisa Fisher and Bernard.They sing in parts of the songs that they shouldn't.I would like to check the dvd so as to be more accurate to what I say,but I have to catch a plane in a few hours so I don't have time.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1516
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home