Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Concept of Stage Overwatch
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: June 16, 2006 01:47

So, who's the current "band leader" on stage? I have a theory, which, in using military terminology, I call overwatch. The co-band leaders are Mick and Chuck, with Mick overwatching Ronnie, and Chuck overwatching Keith.

I think the guitarists know and acquiesce with this, too. If Keith gets lost in the rhythms, he looks over at Chuck, who uses head signals to get him back in sync.

I really noticed the vocal interplay between Mick & Ronnie on the Tokyo "earphone mix". When Ron launches into a solo, the "coach" is Mick, and if Ron plays too long, it's Mick that stops him.

This is not set as a hard and fast hierarchical rule, and maybe it's evolved naturally, but it works. It's been a long time since a song fell apart onstage. It occassionally teeters on the edge, but this overwatch method seems to help smooth out the rough spots.

Does this theory make sense to you folks?

Re: The Concept of Stage Overwatch
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 16, 2006 01:56

That's pretty interesting Bassplayer. I think you're right when assuming that it would have naturally evolved. Keith is way too proud, has always been to the point of bullheadedness, to acquiesce to Jagger. And these days he does gets lost sometimes with computerized cues, and Horncharts etc.; so it makes sense for him to look at Grand Leavell Central.
And since many of the more feature solos are by Ronnie, he automatically has to interact with lead vox Jagger. Keith takes the jamming solos. The ones that might not last a definite amount of bars, or follow a fixed chord chart. Ron takes the ones in Hand of Fate, Sway, Angie etc.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: June 16, 2006 02:12

Mick has been cueing Ronnie's solos for him at least since the Voodoo Lounge tour if not earlier.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: June 18, 2006 10:13

Interessting post indeed. You're onto something.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 18, 2006 10:47

Ronnie cues Mick as well, on occasion; i mentioned it recently on another thread,
but on one of my DVDs from the current tour Ronnie's very actively cueing Mick for the sunshine in Rocks Off.
and Keith's famous cueing of Charlie is still part of things, even if it's not as crucial as it used to be.

the cues go wrong sometimes too, of course; there's a moment in the 97 Soldier Field DVD -
i forget on which number - where Mick is standing face to face with Ronnie saying "come on - come on!"
and Ronnie just gazes calmly at him before finally coming in a bar or two later.
i'm sure there's someone here who'll know: who was right in that situation?

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-18 12:01 by with sssoul.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: June 18, 2006 11:54

Interesting thread!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 18, 2006 22:03

Ya, and this is what makes these guys so good........

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: June 18, 2006 22:19

Great thread!

But who overwatches Mick?

I may be wrong but in Mick's overzelous coaching of Ronnie's ending solo during Sway in Tokyo did he not come in to soon and blow the ending?

Mick's so-call encouragement during the song is irritating! It like parent taking it too far yelling at their kid on the soccer field.

Just let them play!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 18, 2006 22:25

Markdog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But who overwatches Mick?

His inner vitamine-omega3-biological-chief.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: June 18, 2006 22:29

bassplayer617 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> I really noticed the vocal interplay between Mick
> & Ronnie on the Tokyo "earphone mix". When Ron
> launches into a solo, the "coach" is Mick, and if
> Ron plays too long, it's Mick that stops him.
>

Nice thread Bassplayer!!!
Can you tell me a bit more what you mean with the "earphone mix" and how Mick stopped him? I haven't seen it yet.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: June 18, 2006 22:46

Mick's "coaching" is perhaps overstated, but when Mick says "alright, let's go", that's a not so subtle cue that the next verse is coming up.

As for Mick's "overwatch", it's Chuck. Many may cringe at the thought, but Mr. Leavell's knowledge and innate sense of timing is why he's there.

Let's not make too much of this. After 40+ years, much of what happens onstage is telepathic -- Charlie is the best example of this -- he instinctively knows every nuance of his bandmates, and on songs like "Midnight Rambler", he can anticipate the speed and timing changes.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 18, 2006 22:53

Mick seems to be the leader on Handsomes girls Far Away Eyes "Who's playing on this part, Doug are you comming on? Doug, you play on this part".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-06-18 22:53 by ryanpow.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1472
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home