Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
David Gilmour on the Stones
Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: May 30, 2006 14:17

Well, yesterday it was Bon Jovi, today it's David Gilmour talking out of his @#$%&. Interesting: last time I checked he was on tour too, promoting some piece of shit album.

Gilmour urges Stones to quit Tuesday May 30, 09:30 AM By WENN

Pink Floyd star Dave Gilmour has told The Rolling Stones to quit touring and "get a life".

Gilmour, 60, insists the veteran stadium rockers aren't interested in music, they are simply obsessed with the adulation they receive from fans.

He says, "I think it's ridiculous, actually. Mick (Jagger) and Keith (Richards) should get a life. It's like a strange, sexual compulsion.

"How much do they need? I think a lot of it is the applause. It's a powerful drug. 50,000 people appearing to adore you.

"I'm a big Stones fan but they haven't done anything that matches their earlier stuff in years."

Re: David Gilmour on the Stones
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: May 30, 2006 14:19

Can You Say Mick Taylor and Vibrato 69-74

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 30, 2006 15:35

OpenG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can You Say Mick Taylor and Vibrato 69-74

?

about Gilmour: not to mention what has he done in years that match early Pink Floyd's?

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: May 30, 2006 15:39

Since Gilmour is 25 years old he's right...they're too old to rock! get off of the stage and get a life!

What's gilmour interested in? touring, money, making records, having adoring crowd..i can't understand what the @#$%& is talkin about!

Date: May 30, 2006 15:45

Plus, he should really go on a damn diet. He's looking pretty bloated these days.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 30, 2006 16:01

Whilst not disputing Mr Gilmour's undoubted prowess as a guitarist and musician...

...all this from a dude who's traditional idea of a live gig has been a bunch of lazers and an effects rack bigger than most players' backline !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-30 16:01 by Spud.

Posted by: michrud ()
Date: May 30, 2006 16:09

Get a life yourself, Gilmour....poor looser. Your music suck! Depressed soul.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: May 30, 2006 16:24

he should go on stage, play his Floyd stuff and shut up...

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 30, 2006 16:33

ok, who's next?
everyone seems to jump on the waggon to get some of their own piece of gossip b.s. in some phoney news
just green with envy, imo

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: May 30, 2006 16:43

Funny, i just read a article about Gilmour in some guitar magazine today. I forgot wich magazine it was but it was an interesting read. He talked a bit about the Live8 gig with Riger Waters and stuff. He said he didn't have any motivation to make a reunion with Pink Floyd because for him it was history and now he wants to do new stuff. He released a new solo cd recently wich has got very good reviews!!! He also talked about that making a new cd is the only way he can go on tour is to make a new cd because otherwise you would just do it for the money.

I think the point Gilmour was trying to make in the statement on the stones was that they havent't done anything interesting (new) in years, in his opion and therefore he doesn't understand why they are still going one other than for the big applause and adoration.

Why do people here always act like a little girl when someone says something 'critical' about the stones. Let the man have his opion. It's not that strange kind of on opion and it is made by someone who knows them and is a fan of there music so it's not just slagging them, he just gives his opinion.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-30 16:43 by Wuudy.

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: May 30, 2006 17:00

Well, at least we will never hear comments like these from Macca, Daltrey and Townshend.

Date: May 30, 2006 17:05

A friend played me the new solo CD of Gilmour - I thought it was old Pink Floyd stuff, 'till he told me
so much about interesting stuff.

ABB makes a good stand in the back catolog of the Stones

Date: May 30, 2006 17:07

Raoul Duke Wrote:

>
> He says, "I think it's ridiculous, actually. Mick
> (Jagger) and Keith (Richards) should get a life.
> It's like a strange, sexual compulsion.
>

"Get a life" :
Without sexual compulsions ?
What a life : )

Date: May 30, 2006 17:09

Wuudy Wrote:
> Why do people here always act like a little girl
> when someone says something 'critical' about the
> stones. Let the man have his opion. It's not that
> strange kind of on opion and it is made by someone
> who knows them and is a fan of there music so it's
> not just slagging them, he just gives his opinion.

Oh, he can have any opinion he likes (plus, I must say, Gilmour has always been one of my heroes). My opinion, however, is that the stuff coming out of his mouth - let alone his once-creative mind - is a load of foul-smelling crap these days. Seriously, how many people attend a Gilmour show today to listen to the tracks on "On An Island?" (by the way, I wasted $15 on that piece of shit). Sounds a little hypocritical on his part, that's all.

Posted by: stonesctl ()
Date: May 30, 2006 17:28

Pink Floyd is sad bastard music. I realized that I didn't used to listen to Pink Floyd because I was depressed, Pink Floyd music made me depressed. Just because Gilmour's lyrics are laced with depressing imagery doesn't make it poetic. He should get over trying to create music that represents his acid trips... idiot.

As long as Mick, Keith and the boys put asses in the seats, they can go on for as long as they want. The minute only half an arena is filled, they can re-evaluate.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: May 30, 2006 17:33

Oh dear, poor old Dave. Unlike him, The Stones are actually worth seeing live. Gilmour has the onstage charisma of a sack of mouldy potatoes. And I bet he's back on the road with Pink Floyd next year.

Date: May 30, 2006 17:35

The Rolling Stones have a life - it's called rock'n'roll.
you would have to seriously worry about them if they stopped doing what they do.

what a twit^^

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: May 30, 2006 17:43

.....ouch!!!! I'm not feeling a lot of love in this room.

I agree with Wuudy's comments earlier. David Gilmour happens to make a statement, which uderstandibly could be offensive to Stones fans, and all of a sudden we turn into a pack of hungry jackals making comments about how awful his music is and how "bloated" he is.

Why don't we try to be a little more tolerant of other people's opinions, or at least try to disagree in a manner that is not so critical?

Group hug?

Posted by: Riffbuk ()
Date: May 30, 2006 17:59

He looks so fat nowadays that he can be use on the sky of London to promote the re-release of the Animals album instead of the pig ballon that they had before!
Gilmour get a diet!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-30 18:01 by Riffbuk.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: May 30, 2006 18:02

I give up

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: May 30, 2006 18:04

taylor does not climb up coconut trees to practice - Air Guitar. LOL

Date: May 30, 2006 18:07

Keith also doesn't - well, not to practice air guitar

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: May 30, 2006 18:08

I don't get his point. He's making a complete fool out of himself. He hasn't released anything worth listening to since he went solo. The Stones have been, in my opinion, rocking hard. I liked Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge and Bridges To Babylon. A Bigger Bang hit the charts at nr. 1, I'd like to see him do that.

A true musician has passion for what he does. The Stones have obviously shown that they are indeed true musicians. With this comment, Gilmour is obviously showing that he is not at all a real muscian and all he cares about is getting cheap media attention by making fun of colleagues.

Very childish, I have lost the small amount of respect I had for this man..

David Gilmour on the Stones
Posted by: Gricha ()
Date: May 30, 2006 18:10

Wuudy Wrote:

>
> I think the point Gilmour was trying to make in
> the statement on the stones was that they havent't
> done anything interesting (new) in years, in his
> opion and therefore he doesn't understand why they
> are still going one other than for the big
> applause and adoration.
>
>
> Why do people here always act like a little girl
> when someone says something 'critical' about the
> stones. Let the man have his opion. It's not that
> strange kind of on opion and it is made by someone
> who knows them and is a fan of there music so it's
> not just slagging them, he just gives his opinion.

Fully agree with you, and Gilmour.
I'm a Stones freak, I've spent a lot of time and money chassing them all over the world to see gigs.Last 4 gigs I saw in Los Angeles (2005 / 2006) were great
But, it is true they havent done anything valuable for a serious long long time.
And the latest of Gilmour is an interesting piece of CD, lots of things to throw away but a few very good tracks.

Grichka >> [collateral-interference.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 30, 2006 18:56

"...haven't done anything valuable for serious long time "

So nobody listens to, or gets any enjoyment from listening to the Stones more recent output ? ...or gets that electric buzz at a concert when they hit the stage ?
Who decides what's "valuable" ?
Music critics with their heads up their arses... or the folks spinning the discs and attending the gigs ?

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: May 30, 2006 20:02

Curious... why don't Gilmore and Jovi and Wyman say the same thing to older blues players like BB King and Lonnie Brooks ??

Why didn't they tell Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker to retire ? Bo Diddly, shouldn't they tell him to retire ?

Would they have told Beethoven to stop and retire ?

What's wrong with these &^%$....

And further, why don't they let the FANS DECIDE...

Just because Gilmore can't draw huge stadium crowds, and 2 Million Fans in Rio, why should he criticize the Stones when they do so over and over...

I don't hear Gilmore telling Elton John to take his pacemaker and hangup his Vegas lounge act. (not that I have anything against EJ).

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-30 20:11 by BornOnTheBayou.

Date: May 30, 2006 20:17

Quite honestly, I think that if Gilmour wanted - and called it a Pink Floyd concert (with or without Roger Waters) - he may well fill quite a few stadiums, just as the Stones do. He just doesn't want to. That's fine by me, but I am not sure why he feels the need to pick on musicians who still do.

I am not sure what he means when he urges them to "get a life." Does he imply that they should get a life as glorious as his? Judging from his size, much of his life is spent sitting on the couch in his underwear - box of twinkies in hand. Seriously, if his fat tits get any larger he'll need to wear a bra.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-30 20:18 by Raoul Duke.

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: May 30, 2006 20:29

If I'm not mistaken, in Chicago Gilmore played the old Rosemont Horizon, about 6000 seat place. He didn't and probably couldn't have filled United Center let alone Soldier Field stadium. The Stones this tour have filled the United Center twice and Soldier Field once... Gilmour couldn't come close, and nobody would buy his calling himself "Pink Floyd".

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: May 30, 2006 20:30

I just don't get why most of the people always react so offended towards any critical word.
David Gilmour is not fat and he is one of the most important British musicians, a legend, just like Mick'n'Keef, though I don't like too much of PF.
He admitted that he is a real Stonex fan, but he also sais that they haven't put out any really intersting material since many years.
And I think, with a few exceptions (ASMB, Out Of Control, Moon Is Up, Laugh, I Nearly Died, Love Is Strong, most of Keef's songs), he's right.
And I have to admit that I can truly understand that people are embaressed about the relatively strange way of ageing of the Stones: They are icons, but they surely make fools out of them self when Jagger sings "One time you were..." at the age of 62 and their tour promoters still keep the image of bad boys of rock'n'roll.

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: May 30, 2006 20:46

Pink Ployd made music which belonged to the seventies....

Rolling Stones made music that could played from the 50'ies up till now and will contiue to be played the next many year.....

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1227
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home