Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Cricket
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: May 31, 2006 18:09

I like sport....I never was into cricket..its Micks fav sport...what is so exiting about cricket??I dont know nothing about it..I heard its pretty complex...the best performer in this world loves this sport!..so maybe..you can tell me something about it?Didnt Mick play basket too?Sometimes you see Jagger on the telly when England plays!!share your thoughts...what is cricket anyway?

Re: Cricket
Date: May 31, 2006 18:19

Ha..Ha...this is becomming a sports...board!!!Jumping in the air on JJF..is also sport I tell you!!!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: May 31, 2006 18:21

are you bowling me a googly?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 31, 2006 18:26

If you're REALLY interested ;^)

All you ever needed to know about cricket - but were afraid to ask!

The basics:
Cricket is played between two teams: each team has 11 players.
A Test Match is scheduled to be played over five days but it often finishes quicker than that. There are usually five test matches in a 'series' (but not always). Throughout each Test Match each team of 11 players gets to field and to bat twice.
A team has won a series if they win more test matches than the other. A series can also be drawn - more of that in a minute.
Each day's play lasts for six hours (weather permitting). Test matches are usually played from a Thursday through to a Monday.
If the weather is bad, then after the end of the five days, the match will be called a draw - no matter which team was winning. A draw will also be called after the end of the five days if the team bowling still has some of their ten players left to bat.
This is where strategy comes in as the team who is batting can decide to 'declare' at any time - even with players left. By declaring this means that the other team has to start batting.

What's the aim?
Sides take turns to bat in successive innings and attempt to score runs, while the opposing side fields and attempts to bring an end to the batting team's innings. After each team has batted an equal number of innings (either one or two, depending on conditions chosen before the game), the team with the most runs wins.
Which team goes first is determined by the toss of a coin, the captain of the team that wins the toss decides to either bat or field first.

How does it start?
All the 11 players on the side that's fielding take up their positions and the first two batsmen on the opposite side go out to bat. The other players wait off the field for their turn.
The aim of the side fielding is to stop runs being scored and to get the batsmen out (more of that later). The fielders will place themselves in various positions on the pitch (of which they're too many to go into in detail here). The side that scores the most runs, wins!

Take your positions!
The first two batsmen take their positions in front of the wooden wickets and the bowler then 'bowls' to the batsmen standing furthest away.
The other batsman stands still, getting ready to run if his partner manages to hit the ball.
If the batsman misses, then the wicket-keeper, standing behind him, will catch the ball and return it to the bowler.

Runs:
If the batsman manages to hit it, then he and his partner will start running between the two wooden wickets until the ball is caught by one of the fielders and returned to the bowler.

Bowlers:
Each player chosen to bowl must bowl one over at a time. An over is six consecutive balls bowled by one bowler. After an over is completed, the bowler retires his role as bowler and moves to a fielding position. A different member of the fielding side, chosen by the captain, becomes the bowler for the next over.
Consecutive overs are bowled from opposite ends of the pitch. The batsmen do not change ends, so the roles of striker and non-striker swap after each over. Any member of the fielding team may bowl, so long as no bowler delivers two consecutive overs. Once a bowler begins an over, he must complete it, unless injured or suspended during the over.

Batsmen:
If a batsman gets 'out' then he leaves the field immediately and another one replaces him. All 11 players must bat. The order that they come on is decided by the captain and can be changed at any time, for tactical or practical reasons. Once 10 of the 11 players are out then that completes one innings.

In and Out:
Batsmen can get 'out' in a number of ways (there are 10 different ways to be exact!). The most common are they can get 'caught' - which means that one of the players fielding catches the ball or 'bowled' - which means that the batsmen fails to hit the ball and the ball hits the wooden wicket behind him and breaks. (If it fails to break them he's not out.)

Umpires
Cricket matches are officiated over by umpires - who's decision is final. There are two umpires for every game of cricket. If a decision is in doubt though, the umpire must rule in favour of the batsman.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print now Send to a friend Related articles Related products

Date: May 31, 2006 18:28

Date: May 31, 2006 18:32

Thanks very much!that is cool!!Ths sport isnt very popular in old Holland you know...I find it intresting!

Date: May 31, 2006 18:35

the Dutch have been in the last couple of World Cup's

Date: May 31, 2006 18:36

It is played a litle in Holland [and in Denmark I believe] isn't it ?

Date: May 31, 2006 18:40

here's a Dutch cricket website for you Rooster:-

[www.kncb.nl]

Date: May 31, 2006 18:41

You just never hear or see it over here!!!

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: May 31, 2006 18:42

Cricket is a great game and if possible try and get a copy of the 'greatest test ever' the one at edgbaston last year between england & australia as the particular game has got everything in it good about cricket.

On the other side of the coin had tickets for last saturdays game and with the bad weather managed to watch around just under three hours of cricket for £40, oh for a english summer!!!

Date: May 31, 2006 18:51

usually get to one day of a test match at Lords, per year and a County day/nighters at THe Oval...weather permitting.

Date: May 31, 2006 19:05

Thank you!!!

Date: May 31, 2006 20:01

Here's a much more entertaining explanation of cricket !

This is the one I was looking for earlier when I had to settle for the sensible answer [I never like the sensible answer ]

This should clear it up

"You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game! "

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: May 31, 2006 20:05

Thanks Spud

We have that on a tea towel!!! How sad is that!

NickB

Date: May 31, 2006 20:30

Nick, don't worry...it's not just you !

I have the same tea towel ;^)

That's where I just lifted it from !

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: May 31, 2006 21:21

me too!

don't you know it is THE must have kitchen accessory for this (or any other) summer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1177
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home