Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick and guns
Posted by: undermythumb ()
Date: May 30, 2006 05:55

What's up with Mick's gun trilogy - Mother of a Man, Gunface, and Gun (are there any more?). Is he trying to establish street cred? In the first two songs he is awkwardly clear that...he has a gun, you can look at it, and then he's going to shoot you with it. Gun has a different message than the first two (and it also really sucks) but still shares the name. I always thought these lyrics were a little weird for Mick at this stage of the game.

Re: Mick and guns
Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: May 30, 2006 06:12

From what I understand, "MOTHER OF A MAN" was written and recorded during the Los Angeles Riots in 1992 since Mick was here working on an album during that crazy period. There's that line "I know it's hard but/why do they have to do it in their own backyard" refering to the minority groups in LA's getto's, manyly blacks, burning down their own neighbourhoods which was brought up A LOT in media discussions during that period - that no big business' are gonna wanna rebuild after having their places robbed. lotted. and burned down so the people rioting are just making their situation go from bad to worse. Almost all the words relate to the riots and gangs and things like that if you listen to them with that info in mind.....

Posted by: Fadeout_Freedom ()
Date: May 30, 2006 07:21

...plus Hand of Fate, I'm Going Down, (I Can't Be Satisfied, if you wanna count covers...)

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: May 30, 2006 08:22

I'll rifle through my discs to see if there are any others...

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: May 30, 2006 10:27

Also this song about a 38 pistol - Cops and robbers - can't remember the name

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 30, 2006 10:30

>> Cops and robbers - can't remember the name <<

you might mean Cops & Robbers - just guessing, though ... :E
and as long as we're into covers where someone else has the gun, there's also Stop Breaking Down.

back to the MJ/KR originals, though: there's also Crazy Mama and Ventilator Blues - although Mick's not necessarily the main author of those lyrics.
or of Hand of Fate, actually:

"[Keith and I] write some together. In fact, Hand of Fate we kind of did, get together.
Even on the lyrics, we discussed it over a lengthy coffee... coffee BREAKS, in the studio,
and we came up with the lyrics TOGETHER on that one."
- Mick Jagger, 1976 (from [www.timeisonourside.com])

Keith, be well - all the way, baby, all the way

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-30 10:45 by with sssoul.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2401
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home