Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
rs.com - a warning about automatic renewals
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 4, 2006 19:00

Just realised this the other day, so thought it might be timely to mention it as many of you will have your membership up for renewal in the next few days

I happen to have 3 memberships (one of them with a pre-sale still unused) and on checking the membership details a few days was pretty horrified to find that unknown to me my memberships are scheduled to automatically renew immediately upon expiration - $100 for each membership, even though theres next to no chance I'll be buying tickets for any Stones shows in the next 12 months.

I dont recall being provided with an 'automatical renewal option'when I signed up - does anyone else? Seems yet another pretty underhand way of fleecing a years membership out of thousands of people (and then bagging the interest before issuing some refunds)

Of course, a new 12 month membership might suit those of you who are planning to buy tickets for any shows in the US or Asia this autumn, but I'd imagine for most people it will be something you have no intention of renewing, especially not for $100 "just in case they announce any shows" (see the 2004 fiasco)

Fortunately, you can still change the "automatical renewal" option on your account by going to :

[myaccount.rollingstones.com]

and clicking on "purchase history"

Re: rs.com - a warning about automatic renewals
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: May 4, 2006 19:06

Holy s****, thanks for that info Gazza!
Can't believe that it is set to renew automatically!!

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 4, 2006 19:11

wow - thanks for the alert, Gazza! I had no idea. Cancellation - here I come!

Date: May 4, 2006 19:15

Damned. My problem is i have so much memberships i'm not sure i will remember all the names and passcodes. This is a f***** trap. Is rs.com driven by the mafia or what?

Date: May 4, 2006 19:15

wait a minute - just looked again - my account renewal date is set for May 9, 2007. Was this a two-year membership for Platinum members?

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: May 4, 2006 19:24

I think we should blitz rs.com with e-mails about this very very tacky procedure. Thanks Gazza, I would have had $200 billed to my credit card which would have put me over my limit, incurring god knows what in interest charges, etc. etc. etc. I have no recollection of rs ever mentioning automoatic renewal - I wonder if it just keeps on renewing for the next decade - that way the Stone won't need to tour by the time they are in their 90's - the fan club will have earned them enough money in presale $$$! Thanks again Gazza. I just hope I remembered to cancel all my memberships! I still have one outstanding for the fall tour. Sarah

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 4, 2006 19:25

Hey T&A,

Maybe yours was already renewed. Did you check your c/c statement?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 4, 2006 19:35

pre-may-9th memberships were extended for an extra year for free.
and yeah, they did mention that the renewal is automatic. it was even discussed kind of a lot on the boards there last year.
cancelling a membership just means it doesn't renew - apparently you still have access to the site for the whole period ...
if that matters to anyone ...

Keith, be well

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: May 4, 2006 20:01

Thank you Gazza. Just need to remember my fourth password. This automatic renewal is typical for RS.com, isn't it? Well, on with the show

Posted by: tonym ()
Date: May 4, 2006 20:03

Cheers for posting this Gazza - you've just saved me a few quid. I should have realised this might happen because I got caught out by the Bowie fanclub which I joined to get tickets. They renewed my membership automatically - I complained and eventually they gave me my money back.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: May 4, 2006 20:04

It's the Sweet Renew-o Con

Date: May 4, 2006 20:31

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> wait a minute - just looked again - my account
> renewal date is set for May 9, 2007. Was this a
> two-year membership for Platinum members?

Don't forget that after the press conference,they added an extra year to all active pre - May 9,2005 memberships.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 4, 2006 20:35

It may have been mentioned, but I appreciate the tip because I only visited the boards once or twice since I purchasing two memberships last year and certainly didn't notice this detail.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 4, 2006 20:39

Fan Sites should be free of charge

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: May 4, 2006 20:41

Thanks Gazza, I owe you a beer or two around Twickenham.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 4, 2006 20:45

Free like www.stonesvikings.com

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: May 4, 2006 20:47

Gazza saved us all from big expenses - and granted himself free beer for the whole tour, it seems winking smiley

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: May 4, 2006 20:48

Damn, anything to squeeze the money out of you. I never used my presale code and doubt I ever will so maybe I should try to get my refund back... All that BS about the club shows is the reason I got the membership in the first place. Its funny cause the guy sitting next to me at MSG used his presale code and got the same seats I did through the box office.

Not going to waste my money on another greatest hits show. So sad..

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: May 4, 2006 20:49

Well guys, this was discussed a while ago at Shidoobee, and though many do not remember, it was made very clear at renewal time last year that afterwords it was going to become automatic. Maybe if you did not read the fine print you were never aware.

Also discussed at Shidoobee, there is a way to stop this. I think you had to open your account at RS.COM. look at the account info and cancel your credit card info. I think the problem was then though that you lost access to the site all together.

My problem is like Jumpinjackflash59, I got so caughyt up in buying tickets, and the new accounts that went with the process, I have lost track of how to find all the accounts.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 4, 2006 20:51

Thanks Gazza - another beer for free!

Date: May 4, 2006 20:58

Not everyone has time to read all the boards, though

The buck stops with the people who run the official site. This 'option' was not offered at the time of purchasing the membership (not to my knowledge anyway - I stand to be corrected by anyone who was given such an alternative. i know I certainly wouldnt have ticked 'yes' to it 3 times!) and it seems that at some period during the 1 year lifetime of the membership, they appear to have altered their site in such a way that your membership automatically renews and they bill you $100 - yet despite all the mailshots they bombard you with regarding merchandise and presales, this was something they 'overlooked' to tell us.

Pure 100% deceit. No other way of looking at it.

The levels Cohl and rs.com stoop to knows no bounds. The site is scandalously overpriced and inept already as it is without something as despicable as this.

and thanks for the offers of a beer to those of you - mine's a Carlsberg,

Date: May 4, 2006 21:09

kahoosier Wrote:
> Well guys, this was discussed a while ago at
> Shidoobee, and though many do not remember, it was
> made very clear at renewal time last year that
> afterwords it was going to become automatic. Maybe
> if you did not read the fine print you were never
> aware.
>
> Also discussed at Shidoobee, there is a way to
> stop this. I think you had to open your account at
> RS.COM. look at the account info and cancel your
> credit card info. I think the problem was then
> though that you lost access to the site all
> together.
>
> My problem is like Jumpinjackflash59, I got so
> caughyt up in buying tickets, and the new accounts
> that went with the process, I have lost track of
> how to find all the accounts.

They (RS.com) claim that even if you cancel,your membership stays active up until the expiration date & then would not be renewed.This does not justify the automatic renewal however.Borderline fraud once again.These would seem to be unauthorized charges.

Posted by: madmaxx ()
Date: May 5, 2006 00:36

Well my card expires before the renewal date so I guess that lets me off the hook as the security code will change with the new card.

I hope so any way.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 5, 2006 00:41

When I bought my memberships it was made very clear that they would be automaticaly renewed, unless I cancelled them, which I did. I thought it was very clear, but I found out that several of my friends probably didn't like to read all that stuff

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: May 5, 2006 00:43

Rolling Hansie Wrote:
> When I bought my memberships it was made very
> clear that they would be automaticaly renewed,
> unless I cancelled them, which I did. I thought it
> was very clear, but I found out that several of my
> friends probably didn't like to read all that
> stuff

You mean you had to READ? Well that explains it. I hate it when people make you read stuff.

Date: May 5, 2006 02:00

Rolling Hansie Wrote:
> When I bought my memberships it was made very
> clear that they would be automaticaly renewed,
> unless I cancelled them, which I did.

thanks - when did you buy yours? My first one was the day they announced the US tour, and I dont recall seeing anything like that.

seems a bit misleading in that you have to cancel an existing subscription to avoid being billed. I'd imagine many people would have assumed that if they did that their membership would cease immediately and would have been reluctant to do so.

Date: May 5, 2006 02:26

Here's a BV-ism for you.Is the restaurant that I ate at on Wednesday still charging me for meals since I have left because I did not call to tell them not to?

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: May 5, 2006 03:50

I don't think automatic renewals are legal. Any lawyers here?

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: May 5, 2006 04:21

Thank you Gazza.

Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: May 5, 2006 05:32

I KNEW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT THIS--and I'm sure many, many others do not either and will probably never notice it on their statement!! WHAT A SCAM!!
I was due for renewal on 05.11.06...so thank you Gazza!!!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1808
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home