Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Easy Rhythms Parts To Play
Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: April 26, 2006 02:06

Hey Everyone,

I'm finally getting my own guitar this summer so I can really start to practice. I'm going to be taking lessons learning the basics, but on the side I'd also like to start to learn some basic rhythm parts from Stones songs.

Any suggestions as to what might be easy rhythm parts from some numbers to start off with when I'm just playing around with the guitar? Where would be a good place to start, just to get a feel of what it's like to be playing a rhythm part.

Any veteran guitar guys out there have suggestions?

Re: Easy Rhythms Parts To Play
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 26, 2006 02:09

gomper

Date: April 26, 2006 02:37

Thanks. Once you get past the psychedelia, it's pretty easy, ha ha

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: April 26, 2006 02:38

easier with the assistance of a couple of tabs . . . and i'm not talkin about guitar tabs

Date: April 26, 2006 02:38

ha ha, wink wink nudge nudge say no more say no more

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: April 26, 2006 02:54

I got mine last summer but I haven't done any lessons.The easiest song I have played is brown sugar and general all the songs that are in open tunings.Brown sugar,before they make me run and stuff like that.I am a beginer so I am just making a suggestion don't take my advice for sure.

Posted by: La Mano Nera ()
Date: April 26, 2006 03:28

You're not a guitarist until you play Satisfaction. Simple as that.

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: April 26, 2006 03:43

It's kind of hard for me to think of a Stones song with straight rhythmn guitar because Keith never really plays anything the same way twice. I mean, you could play When The Whip Comes Down which is just alternating between the A and D chord with a G thrown in the bridge for good measure.

Date: April 26, 2006 04:53

These are good suggestions. I know Keef likes to mix it up (I know he's said he never plays satisfaction the same way twice) but I just want to get a general idea of the template so when I improve I can feel free to improvise

Thanks everyone

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 26, 2006 05:12

JJF, the best songs to start out on are the melodic ones; the ones that rely on the full chords and not so much on riffing. Songs like "Whip" and "respectable" e.g. that are basically A/D/E songs are not that easy to play.
But "Dead Flowers", "Sweet Virginia", "Loving Cup", "Sittin on a Fence" will right away sound full, once yoiu've mastered a few basic chords.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: April 26, 2006 05:14

Yeah, that's the same thing that I was thinking. Not only were those songs that really display the acoustic sound of the Stones, but some of them, especially Dead Flowers seemed easy to play. This is great.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 26, 2006 05:24

Under My Thumb and Paint It Black are good ones too.

Posted by: HomerJRichards ()
Date: April 26, 2006 05:50

Also give Don't Stop a go - it's very easy to play. I think it only has about 3 chords in it. It's open G tuning from memory. I've just started mucking around with open chords - mainly open G- & I'm really enjoying it because you can make little mistakes like picking extra strings for example & it'll still sound ok.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1514
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home