Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Criss Cross Man
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: April 21, 2006 18:23

I've been wondering about this.

In this song (aka "Save Me" on Trident demos") Mick sings "I think I need a blood transfusion". Did this come from the Keith transfusion rumors, or did the song come first and the rumors later?

My thoughts are the song came first, because I think it was recorded around '68, but i'm not sure.

Thanks!

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Re: Criss Cross Man
Posted by: django ()
Date: April 21, 2006 18:36

I don't know the story behind the song but I think the correct title is Criss Cross Mind. It is in fact a GHS outtake. Informations about the recording from Nico's site:

25th - 30th November & 6th - 21st December 1972: Kingston, Jamaica, Dynamic Sound Studios. Producer: Jimmy Miller. Sound engineer: Andy Johns (with Carlton Lee). Additional musicians: Nicky Hopkins (p; first three weeks)/Billy Preston (keyb; last week)
- Criss Cross I (MJ/KR) -basic track, without sax

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-21 18:36 by django.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 21, 2006 18:38

Criss Cross Mind is the correct title. When you read the lyrics, the line "giving me a Criss Cross Man" makes no sense

and as django says, the song predated the supposed date of the blood transfusion (which was supposedly during the break after the Birmingham show on 19.9.73 although its apparently a myth) by about ten months.

Date: April 21, 2006 18:47

Hey thanks guys.

About the Criss Cross Man/Mind thing.

I don't have my Mad Shadows disc here, but I'm almost 100% certain it says Criss Cross Man. Additionally, I am listening to a version Cafaro uploaded and it says Criss Cross Man.

If you search IORR for the last year with Criss Cross only, you'll see that most people refer to it as Criss Cross Man. I wonder where the error started because it obviously keeps getting repeated.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 21, 2006 18:51

cindy:

you dare to question Gazza's authority? i've tried that before and it's not a good experience...

Date: April 21, 2006 18:54

StonesTod Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
cindy:

you dare to question Gazza's authority? i've tried that before and it's not a good experience...

HAHAHA - No offense Gazza! I agree with you that Mind makes more sense. I just didn't want you to think I made "Criss Cross Man" up myself!

I wrote to Cafaro on Hot Stuff to see if he can check his copy.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 21, 2006 18:55

another question is whether the title has to be echoed in the lyric.
it's (a bit) like the recent discussion of HTW - even if they clearly sing plural women, the true title is ... whatever they entitled it.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Date: April 21, 2006 18:56

with sssoul Wrote:
> another question is whether the title has to be
> echoed in the lyric.
> it's (a bit) like the recent discussion of HTW -
> even if they clearly sing plural women, the true
> title is ... whatever they entitled it.

Good point! Maybe they were imitating Led Zeppelin and their tricky titles.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 21, 2006 19:30

On a related subject, who names the bootleg instrumentals - the Stones or the bootlegger?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 21, 2006 19:32

at least some of them are named in the studio. Track 15, for example. :E

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Date: April 21, 2006 19:40

CindyC said:

Maybe they were imitating Led Zeppelin and their tricky titles.

What's up with that?

D'yer M'aker = Jamaica ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-21 19:47 by Elmo Lewis.

Date: April 21, 2006 19:44

Elmo Lewis Wrote:

Maybe they were imitating Led Zeppelin and their tricky titles.

What's up with that?

D'yer M'aker = Jaimaca ?

Yeah, and I can never remember how No Quarter goes just by hearing the title. I always have to have someone hum it so I remember.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-21 19:45 by CindyC.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: April 21, 2006 19:48

"Close the door, put out the lights..."

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Date: April 21, 2006 19:48

The song "Houses Of The Holy" isn't on the HOTH CD, it's on Physical Grafitti. Were they on drugs or something?

Date: April 21, 2006 19:50

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> The song "Houses Of The Holy" isn't on the HOTH
> CD, it's on Physical Grafitti. Were they on drugs
> or something?

Yeah, I always liked that switch up.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 21, 2006 20:13

I think the "criss-crossing" the song's about is racial, hence the "blood" and the kinky hair. The lyrics to this tune are fascinating (to the extent that I can decipher them), and the music is great; can't imagine why it wasn't included on the album. A much richer text on the white-guys-playing-black-music subject than "Dancing With Mr. D."

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: April 21, 2006 20:18

Wow CC, I always thought it was Criss Cross MAN too...and I dig how HOTH is on PG and not HOYH. We're clickin' man, that's COSMIC !!! What's your fav color? OK, this is the big one, PICK ONE: Would you rather:

Dance in the Rain (#1)

Ride on a Train (#2)

Feel no Pain (#3)

OK, this is the big one.... What's your answer? (get it right and we might just gel)

Date: April 21, 2006 20:32

I'm gonna have to go with #3

I do enjoy #1, but if I had to do it with pain, it probably wouldn't be enjoyable.

Ride on a Train is tricky because I love travelling, and I love the aniticpation and thought of travel, however the actual train part usually kinda bites.

Feel no pain - Well I had back labor when I delivered my son, and I don't know if I could stand that twice.

However, no pain AND no fun would suck, so I change my answer to # 1.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: April 21, 2006 20:43

OH man # 3 was CORRECT !!! This is a CIA question...each one tells you alot about that person. You figure it out and tell me what they represent...

Date: April 21, 2006 20:45

Oh Man! I was so close too!

Date: April 21, 2006 20:55

I'll give it to you ...we gelin' in Boston or where..... Take a guess at what they mean, it's easy (i got it from a film) not CIA , don't worry....That would be the day...

Where'd that little dream machine run off to? SHE - IT....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-21 21:03 by MicksBrain.

Date: April 21, 2006 21:02

Ok, off the top of my head, i'm thinking

#1 - Impulsive

#2 - Does things the long way - bad time management

#3 - Sensible - thinks things through

Date: April 21, 2006 21:08

#1 Not realistic, into fantasies a lot (kinda like teenage girls)

#2 Restless, never happy where they're at (a bit like Mr Jagger - the real one, not Mcool smiley

#3 Sensible, wants everything out of the way (including pain) to get things done.

Pretty smart cookie, I bet your kid's smart....

Date: April 21, 2006 21:11

MicksBrain Wrote:

Pretty smart cookie, I bet your kid's smart....

I hope he is, he's too young for me to tell yet. Man is he freakin C U T E!!!

Date: April 21, 2006 21:19

How old is he? 5? another 7 years or so.... Send him to Southern Cal and I'll teach him how to Body Surf into cute, curvey girls in thongs (make it look like an accident) that's all we used to do at 13/14.....

Date: April 21, 2006 21:25

of course they have to be in the water. BTW, What's BACK labor? Is child birth REALLY that painful or is this a female conspiracy idea to get free gifts, sympathy, and shit?

Date: April 21, 2006 21:31

MicksBrain Wrote:
of course they have to be in the water. BTW,
What's BACK labor? Is child birth REALLY that painful or is this a female conspiracy idea to get free gifts, sympathy?

MB, I'm surprised at your think so small. When he's 13, he'll be in the house learning to play the guitar. That way he won't NEED to "accidentally" bump into those girls, they'll be after HIM! I've got it all planned out.

As for back labor, it's when the face is pointing down (or up, I get it mixed up) and the their bones are pressing along your spine, normally its the other way, and those bones don't hit you there. It's not like breech where the feet are in position to come out first. Anyway, it was horrible and the stupid nurse didn't check me, she thought I was just being a baby, so I didn't get my epidural till I was at 9cm. If I ever run into her.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-08 20:46 by CindyC.

Date: April 21, 2006 21:41

If you ever run into her you'll run OVER HER!!! F*cking American Med People, alway's effing up....Guitar? Did you see my little guitar list up about 10 back? They're all resting now...My lead guitar guy split - he was GREAT too...Dudes, it a miracle bands stay together.....

No, I made a boo boo...the guitar list is on your Reference Post....Check it out and see if you know all of those....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-21 21:45 by MicksBrain.

Date: April 21, 2006 22:13

The blood transfusion is not a myth.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 21, 2006 23:17

CindyC Wrote:
> StonesTod Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> cindy:
>
> you dare to question Gazza's authority? i've
> tried that before and it's not a good
> experience...
>
>
> HAHAHA - No offense Gazza! I agree with you that
> Mind makes more sense. I just didn't want you to
> think I made "Criss Cross Man" up myself!
>
> I wrote to Cafaro on Hot Stuff to see if he can
> check his copy.

LOL...yeah but the point is that very often bootleggers dont know the correct titles so they 'guess' them or simply make them up - and then collectors copy the same errors. Naturally it sounds like Mick is saying 'Criss Cross Man' so its understandable that if it says that on a bootleg LP/CD, thats what people will call it (actually, the song was bootlegged as 'Save me' for years before someone was (presumably) able to track down a session log and saw a title listed which was more accurate.

Another one that has a slight mis-spell is "Gangster's Moll" (from 1979). For some reason it was long bootlegged as "Gangster's Maul". I can only assume that whoever did that originally didnt have English as their first language, because that original title simply makes no sense.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1455
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home