Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Charlie to quit touring at end December 2006
Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: April 15, 2006 20:15

Stones tour shock

15apr06

ROLLING Stones drummer Charlie Watts is to quit the global touring circuit in December.

Stones sources said Watts, 64, agreed to play a 2005-06 world tour on the condition frontman Mick Jagger and guitarist Keith Richards promised it was the last time.
"Charlie did not want to tour the latest album," a Stones insider said.

"Keith begged him to do it. It took a lot of negotiation. Charlie agreed if Keith promised he would not ask him to do another world tour."

Sources stressed Watts was not quitting the Stones, nor would he stop live performances.

But he had made it clear he planned to stop globe-hopping when the latest Stones tour, A Bigger Bang, wrapped in Hawaii in December.

Sources said Watts's health and family forced his decision. The drummer was treated for throat cancer last year. He underwent a minor operation and had six weeks of radiotherapy.

Jagger said the treatment left Watts feeling sapped of energy.

After his health scare, Watts has relished more time with wife Shirley and daughter Seraphina.

Last week, Watts's plan was corroborated by an LA music store owner and friend of Richards. And rock expert Glenn A. Baker said he spoke to Jagger during the 1994 Voodoo Lounge tour about Watts's future.

"One of the things Mick said to me, and he was very serious about this, is the Stones will end when Charlie quits," Baker said yesterday.

"Mick said the Stones would survive the loss of anybody, including Jagger himself, but it couldn't survive the loss of Charlie."

For those fans in the USA who have boycotted the tour because of ticket prices/set lists
you may well have missed your last chance to see the'Rolling Stones' perform
in live concert.
The European fan base is lucky because they can see the 'Rolling Stones' in live concert this summer.
If you think that this is just another rumour please remember that stonesdoug/BV
indicated last year that this was likely to be the last big world tour by the'Stones'

Re: Charlie to quit touring at end December 2006
Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: April 15, 2006 20:18

Where'd you get the article? Do you have a link to it?

Date: April 15, 2006 20:23

[p081.ezboard.com]

Re: December 2006
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 15, 2006 20:23

yeah, it would be cool to know the source of this, Stones40.
edit: here's the link again - i hope it works: [p081.ezboard.com]
Stonesdoug didn't mention the source either, but the author appears to be a New Zealand-based journalist.

it sounds pretty plausible, but ... who knows.
and of course there's a difference between "no more world tours" and "no more tours".

>> when the latest Stones tour, A Bigger Bang, wrapped in Hawaii in December <<

Hawaii, eh? i guess i missed where that became official ...

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-15 20:33 by with sssoul.

Date: April 15, 2006 20:36

There is always conjecture/false rumours with anything to do with the 'Stones
but this was expected.
Remember back withsssoul to the message i sent when the Wembley fiasco was discussed & many posters thought that the Stones would just delay & comeback in 2007.
The main sources from IORR/Shidoobee also gave us all a big clue when thet also stated that ABB would be the last big world tour.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: April 15, 2006 20:54

I think everybody knows that it is the Last World Tour. We have been lucky. I was struck by Charlie photo in the last issue of IORR. He looks great. Now, let him as well as Keith and Mick enjoy life. How can we ask them to tour for a year or so...Too much demanding. Look what is happening in UK, Germany, Holland. Their audience have shrink drastically and dramatically. It's high time they stop. I would not like to see them only touring in small arenas, circus or something like this. German prices are indecent. They know it well. My sole regret is not to se them playing at Wembley. Just once. Leave gracefully.

Date: April 15, 2006 22:06

>> but this was expected. <<

yes it was, and as far as i'm concerned it still is. this is not an official announcement, right?
nor does it say anyone is quitting - it says someone says Charlie says he won't do any more world tours.
not that he's quitting, not that won't do any more tours - just that he won't do more world tours.
even if that were official, it sounds reasonable, nondisastrous and nonmelodramatic.
not anyone's favourite thing to hear, but we don't all have to come unglued, i think.
(okay, so some of us apparently *do* have to - but that's just their nature. :E)

when/where was there an official announcement of the december 06 Hawaii date?
i missed that, somehow ...

- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-15 22:38 by with sssoul.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: April 15, 2006 22:10

I guess all this shows how vital Charlie is. Hes always been soooo cool. True Stones fans know how pivotal he is. God bless ya Charlie

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: April 15, 2006 22:13

No Charlie no Stones anymore

Date: April 15, 2006 22:26

>> True Stones fans <<

... is it a question of "true Stones fans" or a question of understanding the difference between "no more world tours" and "no more tours"?

of course Charlie is vital. and all this outpouring of love and appreciation is beautiful.
just ... ahhh never mind, bring on the love and appreciation! for all of 'em!
hail hail Rolling Stones - starting with the impeccably hip, essentially vital, one & only Charlie Watts

-1975, by either Annie Leibowitz or Christopher Simon Sykes

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: April 15, 2006 22:34

I don't beleive it.. Charlie seemed pretty happy touring in interviews.. if he wanted to stop he would just say it and not let it leak out through "Stones sources".

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: April 15, 2006 22:36

I guess if a rumor like this starts on a major board like this, they will come with an official statement rather sooner than later.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: April 15, 2006 22:40

Maybe they need to sell tickets

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 15, 2006 22:41

Im confused? If theyre touring through December we in the US will get one more chance to see them still right? how could we have missed our chance?

Date: April 15, 2006 22:43

Harm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe they need to sell tickets

> You know the reasons why they don't.

stones40 Wrote:
>> >
> For those fans in the USA who have boycotted the
> tour because of ticket prices/set lists
> you may well have missed your last chance to see
> the'Rolling Stones' perform
> in live concert.
> The European fan base is lucky because they can
> see the 'Rolling Stones' in live concert this
> summer.
>
What about the additional US shows planned for SEPT & OCT? and Hawaii is part of the US too.

are we not allowed to say @#$%& anymore? God damnit that @#$%& blows.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-15 22:53 by ryanpow.

Posted by: kaskatanas ()

NO WAY...... give me an TV interview where I can listen it from Charly himself and I´ll believe it...... if not, I´ll believe this is other "insiders thing" (mean, a Stone´s things but they can´t say it theirself) for sell the tickets than they can sell now. (Germany, Netherlands, some England shows bla, bla, bla).... Been truth or lie..... they can count with me... so, they don´t need do such stupid thing!!!

Date: April 15, 2006 22:45

Yeah, and furthermore, if this were really the Stones' last global tour:

Why the hell wouldn't they have said so?

I mean, come on, ticket sales haven't really been good. Just imagine announcing this is their last world tour! They could fill up every stadium about 10 @#$%& times!

With all of the Stones' rip-offs, wouldn't this be the ultimate one? I can't imagine Mick not grabbing this chance.

Date: April 15, 2006 22:46

If the rumor thing is because the promotor wants to sell more tickets, than he really is a major @#$%&!

Posted by: kaskatanas ()
Date: April 15, 2006 22:50

Laughs....... this seem we are all agree... smiling smiley

Date: April 15, 2006 23:04

>> are we not allowed to say @#$%& anymore? <<

we never were allowed to say @#$%& on iorr, unless we spell it funky so the automatic censor doesn't spot it.
but let's go back to the outpouring of love and appreciation, can't we? it was nice!

- Keith

Date: April 15, 2006 23:06

Hey hey, now let me get back on that censorship!

It's @#$%& bullshit!

How many Stones songs have f-u-c-k in 'em? Well, I'm not gonna count 'em! But it sure is allot.

I didn't expect this on such a liberal kind of anti-Bush European board.

Date: April 15, 2006 23:19

with sssoul Wrote:
> >> are we not allowed to say @#$%& anymore? <<
>
> we never were allowed to say @#$%& on iorr, unless
> we spell it funky so the automatic censor doesn't
> spot it.
> but let's go back to the outpouring of love and
> appreciation, can't we? it was nice!

there was one night, it may have been last night or a couple of nights ago where people were able to say @#$%&. Everyone was cussing up a storm. It was one breif shining moment.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 15, 2006 23:20

I can still say @#$%&

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: April 15, 2006 23:21

@#$%& @#$%& @#$%&

how did You do that?

Yeah maybe Bjornulf's trying to make a point here.. no lame small letter F-words, just some really big fat @#$%&!

December 2006
Date: April 15, 2006 23:22

>> one brief shining moment <<

really?? and i @#$%& missed it! as usual. :E

- Keith

Posted by: SeNdEr ()
Date: April 15, 2006 23:24

when charlie was asked if this is the last tour he said "yes"

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: April 15, 2006 23:24

i'm not surprised by this news and it explains to me why they doing more in the fall. charlie said on the fan club dvd that that its very hard to stop touring, go home, relax, start your other life - then pick up and fly again. they're trying to keep the momentum to get the most out of him.

even moreso, in a british airways magazine which i read on the flight home after the '99 tour (ironically they were on the cover), charlie said something to the effect that if he had to play brown sugar "one bloody more time"...he was obvious frustrated with the lack of setlist change too!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2329
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home