Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What is more popular: the Stones music or logo?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: April 7, 2006 02:38

Do you all think that the Stones music is more popular with people today or is the logo?

The logo is making its way onto everything mainstream from jeans to hats, tee shirts, underwear, baby clothes, flags, air fresheners and even graffiti.

We all know and love the music but does everyone else out there? You can show the kid a tongue logo and they say Rolling Stones but they can't recognize some of the songs.

What do you think?

Re: What is more popular: the Stones music or logo?
Posted by: mttlacroix ()
Date: April 7, 2006 02:41

well, we like them both, but i think for the general population, the logo is most recognisable. Also, songs like SMU are pretty common here and there, but the logo is what is known best.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 7, 2006 02:48

The tongue is like the yellow arches.......a billion served..........licked......sucked......and slurped............

Date: April 7, 2006 02:57

I don't know.The music is played every few hours for the last 30 years on the radio.Most cities that I have been to have about three stations that play the Stones + whatever out of town stations that people can pick up.Classic Rock,Rock,Oldies,Semi-Easy Listening,and Mix types of radio stations all play the Stones' music.Most people at least know that (I Can't Get No)Satisfaction is by the Rolling Stones but,I wonder how many people recognize who the logo represents.

Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: April 7, 2006 04:00

i would say the logo
genius marketting strategy by the band. as good as the music is, get some one to sing all the lyrics to start me up, satisfacion or jumping jack flash.
gaurenteed most could get some of them, but not all.
the logo is instantly a recognizable symbol, and anywhere people know the at least some of the music, they will for sure know the symbol.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 7, 2006 04:08

Hard to say - coolest band ever, coolest logo ever.

Posted by: mttlacroix ()
Date: April 7, 2006 04:57

even my grandparents know the logo

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 7, 2006 08:03

I have actually met people who were wearing the logo and had no idea that it had anything to do with a rock and roll band.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 7, 2006 13:20

I would say the logo and the posing since 1981.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: April 7, 2006 13:30

OpenG, behave urself!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: April 7, 2006 13:40

these days, you see all the non-entity celebs, getting snapped by paparazzi, wearing department store 'fake' tongue logo tops.

The brand/logo, has become a
'look at me- i'm a hip rock chick', fashion statement.
For celebs trying to look achingly cool.

the image/brand outweighs the music, these days.

The Ramones logo, suffers the same indignity.
Next time you see a 'rock chick' wearing a Ramones t-shirt, ask her what their favourite Ramones album is.....

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 7, 2006 13:40

Not since 74?

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: April 7, 2006 14:23

@Adrian-L
> Next time you see a 'rock chick' wearing a Ramones t-shirt, ask her what their favourite Ramones album is.....

Not true Adrian. I met one. And she was really into the Ramones, even though my first guess would've been: she's an R&B girl.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: April 7, 2006 14:58

Whale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not true Adrian. I met one. And she was really
> into the Ramones, even though my first guess
> would've been: she's an R&B girl.

pleased to hear it- there are always exceptions to the rule.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: April 7, 2006 15:50

Good point. Nowadays, it's "cool" to wear a Stones tongue but the music is for old geezers.

Date: April 7, 2006 19:14

I met a girl recently who is 18 or 19 and she was wearing a Paul Revere and the Raiders T-shirt. I told her "I'm 46 and even I am not old enough to be a fan of Paul Revere and the Raiders!"

My stepson wears a brand new T-shirt that proclaims LED ZEPPELIN North American Tour 1977. He was born in 1983. That sort of thing drives me nuts.

I don't think wearing a tongue logo makes anybody look cool. It hasn't made anyone look cool since the 70s. Now it makes you look hopelessly UNCOOL. I still like it, though.

Posted by: terry1 ()
Date: April 7, 2006 19:32

no words ...just the tounge ....and just perfect....and its the only logo i will wear.....the lapping tounge says it all

Date: April 9, 2006 20:12

tatters Wrote:
> I don't think wearing a tongue logo makes anybody
> look cool. It hasn't made anyone look cool since
> the 70s. Now it makes you look hopelessly UNCOOL.
> I still like it, though.

Tatters,

You need to get out more, if you don't think the tongue logo looks sexily cool on a hottie chicks ass then tell us what does?

Retro is always in at one time or another, and its allright for someone to wear something like a Stones tee shirt even if they never seen them. My 11 year old daughter has a Stones logo in rhinestones on a black tee shirt and that just makes me proud. Get this, she bought it on her own, I never forced it on her. She knows who they are and her friends like it too.

Another generation to carry on the mantle of music.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: April 9, 2006 20:24

The best one was a supermodel hosting some bullshit TV show with an MC5 tshirt on, revolution brothers to the barricades!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 9, 2006 21:01

This is a bit off topic, but sticking with the t-shirt theme. I was once wearing a Tamla Motown top and this girl I was chatting to asked "are they a band?"

You see people wearing Stones t-shirts everywhere these days. It's purely a fashion thing and absoloutley nothing to do with liking their music.

Posted by: Rock'NRollAngel ()
Date: April 9, 2006 21:15

Big Al Wrote:
> This is a bit off topic, but sticking with the
> t-shirt theme. I was once wearing a Tamla Motown
> top and this girl I was chatting to asked "are
> they a band?"
>
> You see people wearing Stones t-shirts everywhere
> these days. It's purely a fashion thing and
> absoloutley nothing to do with liking their music.

A lot has to do with the demographic. Paris Hilton was at the Hollywood Bowl. Do you honestly think she is aware of all the Rolling Stones deep tracks? But she's been seen sporting RS gear. Now Pamela Anderson on the other hand as the extraordinarily beautiful white trash bimbo she is, is highly likely to be into the Stones and all that rock and roll culture. She was married to Tommy Lee, the ultra sexy, super cool, tattooed white trash prince of rock. She's a rocker chick, through and through. She's been seen sporting RS gear probably because of the appreciation of the band/music and because it's a rocker fashion statement. Rock n Roll and the fashion industry are long time partners. Rock n Roll is first and foremost about the music, but it is also about projecting a certain image and style. Mysterious, rebellious, naughty, dangerous, sexy, non traditional.

Some young people know about the Stones music and the Logo is one of the coolest ones out there. I know a lot of older people who wear things too just for the sake of being trendy or trying to capture a piece of their youth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-09 21:17 by Rock'NRollAngel.

Posted by: Some Girl ()
Date: April 9, 2006 21:29

I think they pretty much even out-- or maybe there are more people who have SEEN the logo but don't know what it means, than there are people who have heard SMU but don't know what band plays it.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 9, 2006 22:56

I think the logo is really cool, but the music is more recognizable IMO.

Date: April 12, 2006 02:39

Think of how the Stones were marketed prior to the launch of the tongue logo. Once they had a symbol connected to them their exposure increased dramatically.

Now that it is marketed on almost everything, there has been a resurgence in their popularity. The music does not get as much exposure to the younger crowd as the logo does.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 12, 2006 05:40

RRAngel, so true--
Pamela Anderson was at one of the Stones Las Vegas concerts this tour.

Date: April 12, 2006 08:20

The Sicilian Wrote:
> tatters Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I don't think wearing a tongue logo makes
> anybody
> > look cool. It hasn't made anyone look cool
> since
> > the 70s. Now it makes you look hopelessly
> UNCOOL.
> > I still like it, though.
>
>
> Tatters,
>
> You need to get out more, if you don't think the
> tongue logo looks sexily cool on a hottie chicks
> ass then tell us what does?
>
> Retro is always in at one time or another, and its
> allright for someone to wear something like a
> Stones tee shirt even if they never seen them. My
> 11 year old daughter has a Stones logo in
> rhinestones on a black tee shirt and that just
> makes me proud. Get this, she bought it on her
> own, I never forced it on her. She knows who they
> are and her friends like it too.
>
> Another generation to carry on the mantle of
> music.

I'm surprised that there are kids that actually like OUR music. When I was young, not too many of my peers were into our parent's big band jazz. Maybe that's a shame, but we liked having our OWN heroes. I would think this generation would, too. Can it be that our music is really THAT much better?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1800
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home