Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

sway as a warhorse
Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: April 3, 2006 07:16

i can't believe this isn't blowing everyone elses mind....
but sway has been appearing regularly, and it doesn't seem to be phasing anyone anymore. honestly, i give the band a ton of credit for pulling it out of the dark after 35 years. and i give them more credit for playing it a lot in 2006.

cheers

Re: sway as a warhorse
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 3, 2006 07:22

the LA Forum version is VERY impressive. Ronnie rules - and, no I'm not drunk...

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: April 3, 2006 07:22

its a great song and they're playing it well so why not?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 3, 2006 07:25

and there's still room for improvement - it's an odd thing these days when Mick is the weak link in a song...still think he needs to go back and refresh himself on how it's done....his phrasing is all off. But, the band is kicking it into high gear behind him....

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: April 3, 2006 07:29

yah..i thought the LA Forum version was great...

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: April 4, 2006 00:05

just heard the LA Forum for the first time. StonesTod's right - Jagger needs to listen to Sticky Fingers again . . .

The band sounds great though, although the piano is a bit too high in the mix IMO.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-04 00:08 by nikkibong.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: April 4, 2006 00:07

Mick does seem to throw the timing off a bit. I'd rather listen to Sway with the timing off a bit, then one of the other tunes they've played hundreds of times.

Date: April 4, 2006 00:10

Bingo, Bingo!

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: April 4, 2006 00:16

Yeah, we have to give the band lots of credit for this.
Where can I get the LA forum version?

Date: April 4, 2006 00:16

posted at hot stuff right now!

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: April 4, 2006 00:25

We will see when Drakes CD comes out, but I believe Atlanta was far better than any other version of Sway so far. To be honest, LA had a great setlist, but not the best version of many songs. RCMH has very nice versions of the 19 songs played. Most all of Atlanta was hot with the exception of Keef double start on BS and a few B-stage mess-ups. Would like to hear a boot of Baltimore.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: April 4, 2006 00:27

and before someone jumps me I know Baltimore and RCMH didn't get Sway, I am talk about the quality of the performance.

Posted by: Some Girl ()
Date: April 4, 2006 21:14

Mick sings Sway in the same flat way that he sings songs like IORR and Brown Sugar, sort of like he's bored senseless with them, or just not into them. Which is why I think if they ever premiered Let it Loose, he would mangle it. It's unfortunate that he sings stuff like YGMR soooo much better than the above, but it's also one of the reasons why I am not too excited about hearing ancient songs debuted for the first time.

I'd love if they played more of ABB, though.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: April 4, 2006 21:58

Sway is hardly a WARHORSE! I've seen 9 Stones show this tour, 2 in 2006 and I have yet to hear Sway! Bummer! If it's not so great live I guess I'm glad I've not heard it! I'll content myself with finally hearing an awesome version of " Worried About You" at RCMH and 2 versions of " As Tears Go By!". Still.....I kinda wanna hear it, just ONCE!

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: April 4, 2006 22:11

Time for a reality check!!

Just listened to the SWAY version from the LA Forum, and coming from someone
who was THERE the night Mick Taylor played this song with Carla Olson in
LA Roxy Nightclub - 1990 - NO comparison!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The STONES shouldn't touch this song without TAYLOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MLC

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 4, 2006 22:18

MCDDTLC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Time for a reality check!!
>
> Just listened to the SWAY version from the LA
> Forum, and coming from someone
> who was THERE the night Mick Taylor played this
> song with Carla Olson in
> LA Roxy Nightclub - 1990 - NO
> comparison!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>

Agree and disagree. Agree that there is no comparison (I happen to think the Olson/Taylor Sway is one for the ages). However, I also believe that the Forum '06 version exemplifies why it's essential for the Stones to try songs like this - it forces the band in general (and Ronnie in particular) to concentrate and not fall in bad habits and auto-pilot. The LA Forum version shows RW and the band in as good a form as they are likely to get at this stage....

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: April 4, 2006 22:23

T&A - Half-Ass is the best I would call this. And my memories of the Stones
are so much "better" than that!!

I see your point and it's well taken, but....

MLC

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: April 5, 2006 02:27

Ron Wood makes a good noise on the solo--he's got the tone--can't really hear the rhythm guitar--all piano and drums--what I can hear sounds good.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 5, 2006 02:54

That is why they don't perform "2000 Light Years From Home" or "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" anymore. Don't want them to turn into old boring repeated warhorses do we? PS. I love warhorses. Like Satisfaction, Brown Sugar and Jumping Jack Flash.

Bjornulf

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: April 5, 2006 05:41

havr to agree w/ YA!!

Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: April 5, 2006 06:10

i know that sway will be the 2005-2006 treat, that one song that gets pulled out and kind of used as a banner for this tour to show that they can dig stuff up from the past and parade it for a tour
ie- shes a rainbow, cant you hear me knocking, 2000 light years, not fade away etc.
im glad that sway saw the light of day in the arena's of this tour, i wish more than anything that i could have seen it in toronto.
i cant help but feel i had a small part in the collective concsiousness of bringing this song to the stage, i focused so much on this song getting played that i feel it just popped into reality.... im tripping maybe
but im glad its been played

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: April 5, 2006 16:13

again...in nagoya! i don't think its a warhorse yet - next tour will determine that..the only warhorse i'm sincerely psyched about hearing/seeing is midnight rambler - i would take my chance on CYHMK getting old - bring it on!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 5, 2006 18:15

bv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is why they don't perform "2000 Light Years
> From Home" or "Can't You Hear Me Knocking"
> anymore. Don't want them to turn into old boring
> repeated warhorses do we? PS. I love warhorses.
> Like Satisfaction, Brown Sugar and Jumping Jack
> Flash.
>
> Bjornulf

You gonna tell me that if they dropped those three warhorse in favor of the other 3 songs you just mentioned that YOU would be disappointed? I just don't know what we're going to do with you, BV....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1202
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home