Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: I'm still shaky
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 20, 2006 23:35

I was out in the woods tonight, walking on a dark, slim road.
Suddenly an elk stood there right in front of me. I didn't see him, as I looked to the ground, to see where I was going. No kidding, I've NEVER been this close before, probably 3-4 meters. I'm usually not scared of these elks, but I think my heart stopped, it was so dark, and he was so near. IHe made this moves, I think he thought about backing up, but changed his mind or something, so it looked like he was going towards me. I guess I'm getting old, having such nerves. I didn't know I could ran that fast.
Perhaps it was a bit off topic. Perhaps.

Re: OT: I'm still shaky
Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: March 20, 2006 23:35

definitely

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: March 20, 2006 23:36

Freaky. But kind of cool!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 20, 2006 23:42

Geez Erik ya should have asked him who his favourite Stones guitarist is but I guess he'd be a Wood elk....!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: March 20, 2006 23:46

Elks rule!

Date: March 20, 2006 23:46

Good one, Rockman!

Date: March 20, 2006 23:48

I was out walking at dusk the other evening in our neighbourhood. Two deer ran across the street right in front of me. There are so many in this suburban area that we call them Urban Deer. Every night our yard is a meeting place for several of them. They love our gardens, even in the winter when there's nothing there.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: March 20, 2006 23:49

With this shirt you could have proven you're on his side

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: March 20, 2006 23:49

venison stew = mondo delicious

Posted by: stein ()
Date: March 20, 2006 23:50

Where did that happen Erik? I was also a few meters from a big moose (elk) last week.

Date: March 20, 2006 23:58

stein Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where did that happen Erik? I was also a few
> meters from a big moose (elk) last week.

In Harstad in Norway, way up north.

Date: March 21, 2006 00:00

If it makes you feel any better.. this is what they look like on the inside:

[homepages.stmartin.edu]

Edit: I don't understand, nobody likes it. Well, just click it at your own risk then!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-21 00:02 by Reptile.

Posted by: stein ()
Date: March 21, 2006 00:01

In Kragerø Norways south coast.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()

Please remove this Reptile!

urrrg...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 21, 2006 00:04

Aw reptile your better than that....not ya best move...

ROCKMAN

Date: March 21, 2006 00:05

Hallo Stein!
Artig med flere nordmenn her paa IORR!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 21, 2006 00:06

Have elks been known to attack people?

I think I remember a show on Fox called "when Elks attack". just kidding.

but seriosley are they violent

Date: March 21, 2006 00:07

Reptile, I've seen it before!
My neighbour had something under a "carpet" outside his house when I was a kid. And I sneaked, and looked under the rug. It was an elk's head, cut off, with lotsa blood. He was going to stuff it out and hang it on the wall.

Date: March 21, 2006 00:11

No elk aren't violent. But then can be, if they are scared or if they got elk-kids nearby. I know a man here in Harstad (he's a pharmasist), he was attacked by an elk when walking. He just almost survived, he was in the hospital for weeks. You see they can kick REALLY hard. This elk had stepped on him while he was lying on the ground too. And my, they're heavy!

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 21, 2006 00:13

A good friend of mine had a sister who was crushed to death by an elephant about 15 years ago. True story.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 21, 2006 00:13

perhaps that was a lame post...or perhaps it was a lamp-post....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-21 00:14 by T&A.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 21, 2006 00:17

CindyC Wrote:
> A good friend of mine had a sister who was crushed
> to death by an elephant about 15 years ago. True
> story.

And let's not forget Chuckles the Clown, dressed as Peter Peanut, who was unfortantely mistaken for a giant peanut and "gnashed" to death by the parade elephant.

Date: March 21, 2006 00:18

Scenario number 1:

A cow or bull spots you at 20 yards away. I found if you don't move and are standing up straight they wouldn’t see you.
You should be in front of a tree for best results. Being out in the open will give
you away as a human, which translates, to a predator in the mind of an elk.
Elk will usually stop, stare, stare some more, then make a move.
Their move could be to flee if they smell you. If you move they will move.
If you don’t move they will probably walk off. Leaving them undisturbed is the best solution for this scenario, as it will allow you to return again and again until you are discovered.
I took this photo after cow calling to this rutting 6x6. I was partially behind an 8-foot pine.
The bull saw my outline but I did not move. He stared for what seemed like over a minute before turning broadside and walking up the mountain – still looking for that cow sound.
Instead of pursuing (always a difficult thing to do), I backed off and walked the other way so I could return again.
An undisturbed elk is a natural, stress-free elk. A disturbed elk will flee further than you think but will hopefully return to his routine three to four days later.

read more scenarioes here at elkheaven winking smiley
[www.elkheaven.com]

Date: March 21, 2006 00:24

CindyC Wrote:
> A good friend of mine had a sister who was crushed
> to death by an elephant about 15 years ago. True
> story.

How'd that happen? Do you live in Thailand or something?

Date: March 21, 2006 00:31

Actually elk are very dangerous. The Canadian military uses them to defend our arctic territory from attack. They patrol in close formation across the tundra looking out for food and invaders. They are spray painted white to blend in with the ice and snow. This created problems though. The Canadian army can't find them anywhere.

Then there's the problem of entertaining the elk troops. They seem to like that old champagne music so the most popular elk performer is Lawrence Elk. Second most popular is Elkon John.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 21, 2006 00:32

Reptile Wrote:

How'd that happen? Do you live in Thailand or something?

No - I wish! I'm a great ping-pong ball player.

She worked in a zoo in San Diego. I thought he was lying when he first told me. I think I even laughed because it sounded so far fetched. But he used to just say, "my sister was killed by an elephant" instead of saying, "my sister, was an elephant trainer, and was killed by an elephant" which is slightly more beleivable.

Date: March 21, 2006 00:34

I laughed too. Sorry! It just sounds pretty funny at first.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: March 21, 2006 00:49

"If that elk dosn't stop it, man, we won't play!"

Keith Richards heard during the Elks Head Soup tour, also repeated on the Some Elks tour and the Elks on Main Street.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: March 21, 2006 00:55

This is very good post indeed,I live in the inner city..and I love nature,Eric. I had two encounters with Bulls,and I was running so fast. I hope ya all understand me!I think people who make faults...well I make mistakes in my written English(I speak it so much better)But I dont really care and we learn everyday. It is not a good feeling when someone you dont know ,follows you,and critisize you,atack you and atack other people just for fun!!But its life,what is life also,is the fact..that I like a confrotation,with the whore ,so give me your Email..then you can stalk me ,and leave this great board alone. Ya like tha atack some of us in the back,and it seems you even feel good about that,it might be a joke for you but for me it isnt. I have to add ,that my impresion of you is,that you are not intrested or love the Stones!!Well you had your atention..One day you will walk in a wood...and there he comes that big elk..you gonna sream like a pig(wrong!!a pig is social ,and yor not!)Amd dont say nothing bad of Eric and Cindy ...you rat!atack me Im used to it!!and ,once again I will discover who you are!!and than you ,dont have to say this was all just a joke!!cause you dont have1% humor,Tired of you.Cheers Eric!!It might seem of topic, but this ''hate-person''follows me in every thread,so it really doesnt matter.So whore come out!!!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1402
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home