Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

How pathetic we've became!
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 26, 2006 05:37

First 5 posts are all started and answered by the same person. They say it's OK to talk to yourself, just not to answer back!winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-26 05:38 by Elmo Lewis.

Re: How pathetic we've became!
Posted by: kienan ()
Date: March 26, 2006 05:43

What? I always answer myself. No worrys that way.

Date: March 26, 2006 05:47

Hey, kienan, it prevents arguments! Have a good trip south?

Date: March 26, 2006 05:55

YES! It was 85+. Sat on the beach with a cold one. Came back to old man winter. Rough on the old bones. How about yourself? Everything ok?

Date: March 26, 2006 06:00

It's all good. This cold snap hasn't been much fun after those nice warm days. But it'll be August soon enough with those 75 nights and 95+ days!

Went to a benefit event tonight with the wife's employers. True elevator music played by my wife's boss. Live, not recorded. They must be the house band for Muzak.

Date: March 26, 2006 06:10

We went to a friend's house tonight in W/R who had a live band. They were once members of the group Doc Holliday. They played R&R! Great to hear someone play songs like 'Magic carpet ride" and "Sweet Melissa." Had a good time, nearly froze!

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 26, 2006 06:27

kienan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We went to a friend's house tonight in W/R who had
> a live band. They were once members of the group
> Doc Holliday. They played R&R! Great to hear
> someone play songs like 'Magic carpet ride" and
> "Sweet Melissa." Had a good time, nearly froze!

hey K:
saw John Kay at the Bluebird in Nashville last summer or fall...
1st amendment night annual concert...
lean and mean; lookin' young, lean and strong and sounded full voiced as ever.
pretty amazing...for the guy on the soundtrack to easy rider for goddsake...

Date: March 26, 2006 06:32

Beelyboy! Sounds like you a good time. Always loved Steppenwolf! Wonder how many of us here saw Easy Rider when it first came out? For that matter I wonder it most of us have seen it!

Date: March 26, 2006 06:52

kienan Wrote:
> Beelyboy! Sounds like you a good time. Always
> loved Steppenwolf! Wonder how many of us here saw
> Easy Rider when it first came out? For that matter
> I wonder it most of us have seen it!

i think it is one of the most important films of the last half century, honestly...
more relevant than ever in these sweet neocon daze...
it gets ***** from me...
then again, that Dodge Ball flick with Ben Stiller
gets **** on my scale...
so buyaah bewaaarrreeee...

soundtrack amazing; hendrix, byrds, steppenwolf...

for those who may not know, but may be interested...
i found this on The Band's website:

Tracks
The Pusher (Hoyt Axton) - Steppenwolf

Born To Be Wild (Mars Bonfire) - Steppenwolf

I Wasn't Born To Follow (Gerry Goffin & Carole King) - The Byrds

The Weight (Robertson,Robbie) - Smith (244K)

If You Want To Be A Bird (Antonia Duren) - The Holy Modal Rounders

Dont' Bogart Me (Elliott Ingber & Larry Wagner) - Fraternity of Man

If Six Was Nine (Jimi Hendrix) - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Kyrie Eleison Mardi Gras (David Axelrod) - The Electric Prunes

It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) (Bob Dylan) - Roger McGuinn

Ballad Of Easy Rider (Roger McGuinn) - Roger McGuinn

Soundtrack Album/ Various Artists - Easy Rider - USA 1969 - ABC-Dunhill DSX 50063
CDs: MCA 3594 (1993), MCA 119153 (2000)

Easy Rider was the surprise box-office hit of the summer of 1969, a low-budget film about a couple of hippies who use their profits from a drug deal to drive their motorcycles across the Southwest and attend New Orleans' Mardi Gras celebrations, encountering adventures and tragedy along the way.

It turned out to be a telling portrait of America's cultural divide in the late '60s, and no small part of its impact was the soundtrack music, which eschewed a traditional score (the filmmakers couldn't have afforded that, anyway) in favor of rock music.

Even then, director Dennis Hopper didn't have much special music written, instead mostly using songs he'd heard on the radio in 1968 while he was editing the film. (In the liner notes to the 2000 CD reissue, Hopper claims that he canceled a proposed Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young score when he became enamored with his own selections; other accounts claim the film studio insisted on the music used in the rough cut.)

So, the film's music consisted of such 1968 rock radio favorites as Steppenwolf's "The Pusher" and "Born to Be Wild," the Band's "The Weight," the Byrds' "Wasn't Born to Follow," and the Jimi Hendrix Experience's "If Six Was Nine," with such humorous changes of pace as the Holy Modal Rounders' cosmic folk song "If You Want to Be a Bird" and Fraternity of Man's marijuana-smoking behavior guide "Don't Bogart Me."

Hopper had little trouble persuading various record labels to grant the screen rights to these songs at a time when re-used rock wasn't heard much in movies. Roger McGuinn, making his solo performing debut, contributed new recordings of Bob Dylan's "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" and his own specially written "Ballad of Easy Rider," actually co-written with Dylan, who was not credited.

When Easy Rider became a successful film upon release, a decision was made to release a soundtrack album, and most labels agreed to license their tracks to Dunhill/ABC. Only Capitol Records held out, so the Band's version of "The Weight" was replaced by a near-copy recorded by Dunhill act Smith.

The soundtrack album also featured some dialogue and sound effects from the film. The result was a commercial bonanza: The album reached the Top Ten and went gold, becoming the second most successful soundtrack LP of the year, after the Nino Rota score to Romeo and Juliet. Just as the film transformed values in Hollywood, the soundtrack album helped give birth to a new business in which soundtrack albums became collections of various pop songs that sometimes out-grossed the films with which they were associated.

Its very success ironically doomed the availability of the Easy Rider soundtrack album, however. By the CD era, the various labels that controlled the songs were no longer happy to license their material, and the album went out of print, although a CD was issued overseas in 1993.

Finally, on June 13, 2000, MCA managed to bring the Easy Rider soundtrack album back into print in the U.S. Thirty-one years later, it still sounded like a good thematic collection, reflecting the film's values of drug use and open-road freedom. Songs like "Born to Be Wild" and "The Weight" had long-since been enshrined as rock classics, and the lighter material continued to amuse, confirming Easy Rider as both a historical document and an entertaining listen, especially to those who knew the film.

--William Ruhlmann, All-Music Guide

Date: March 26, 2006 07:03

Beelyboy! Great reading. I have the soundtrack. Always has been one of my favorites. A classic movie, should be required viewing in today's history classes.

Date: March 26, 2006 07:18

kienan Wrote:
> Beelyboy! Great reading. I have the soundtrack.
> Always has been one of my favorites. A classic
> movie, should be required viewing in today's
> history classes.

honestly and totally agree...
ty for reminding me of steppenwolf tonite.

if hopper had had scorceses money he woulda licensed some stones cuts i bet.
like goodfellas...

Date: March 26, 2006 16:38

kienan, a guy at the so-called party I went to occasionally plays harmonica with Doc Holliday! I invited him to join us for third Thursday. Kind of a conincidence.

BTW, I've got the Easy Rider soundtrack and enjoy it and the movie very much. Back in the early 80's, I went to see Jackson Browne at the old Omni, then Steppenwolf at the Agora Ballroom. The next day we stopped off on Warner Robins to see David Allen Coe and Waylon made a surprise appearence. Lots of good music that weekend!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home