Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - The Who at Beaulieu
Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: March 21, 2006 00:42

I can't believe it...

I just got tickets to see The Who play at Beaulieu Motor Museum (£38.50 each standing). This is only a few minutes from my house and it just seems a weird venue to me.

Anyway, the bit that makes me wonder is the bit on the ticketmaster site that says...

"Additional Information:
General admission standing tickets permit access to a grassed area for those wishing to bring folding chairs and light picnics"

What is all that about? Hardly rock n roll!

Does anyone know anything about this gig? It is billed as "Pops06"...

Re: OT - The Who at Beaulieu
Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 21, 2006 16:38

I live near Butta Ash, are you in Didben Purlieu?

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 21, 2006 17:05

I've not been to Beaulieu but my understanding is it's basically a picnic so people will be around with deck chairs and picnics. I heard it was a bit of a push to get to the front through all the deck chairs. I'd love to go (as it's a couple of miles away) but I've seen the Who 3 times (with out Moon but with Entwhisle) and Stones come first (as always).

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 21, 2006 17:23

Does that mean you can take your own booze in? and not pay stupid prices.

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: March 21, 2006 18:17

Never mind .............£38.50 to see The Who!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 21, 2006 18:19

Cracking pricing going on with the Who..... Bristol football ground just under £50. Is this possibly the last great tour by the Who cause they seem to be putting in a huge effort? Lets hope for some surprises.....

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: March 21, 2006 18:28

Why carry your own drink?

Buy one of the VIP tickets and after a champagne reception, enjoy a nice buffet and and a free bar all evening....tickets a mere £172 each.

courtesy of www.factmagazine.co.uk/da/12260 it seems Beaulieu has a significant place in music history:

" The first riot at English music Festival was at Lord Montagu’s Beaulieu Jazz Festival in 1961. Fans attacked TV cameras and burned toilets. Montagu said: “The worst riots were between the fans of Johnny Dankworth and Acker Bilk.” (‘trad’ and ‘modern’ jazz). The early ‘60s jazz festivals, argues George McKay in Glastonbury A Very English Fair, were pre-cursors to late ‘60s events. There’s a picture of some people dancing at Beaulieu in McKay’s book – cool looking kids in tight black slacks, denims and obsidian shades. "

So now you know.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 21, 2006 18:30

Sounds a bargain to me...... I could easily piss me way through £172 worth of booze!!!

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: March 21, 2006 21:37

here's an eye witness account of 3rd National Jazz Festival at Richmond in 1963, reproduced courtesy of [tinpan.fortunecity.com]

" Early Sunday evening Acker played a set on the main stage while the Stones did their stuff in the club house. It was packed, if you had fainted you could not have hit the floor. At the end of the set Mick Jagger gave a little speech saying that we were running to a timetable and they were going to play one more number then make way for the next band. he referred to the riots at the Beaulea jazz festival the previous year when Acker's fans had wrecked the place when he stopped playing. Mick said that if that happened here the Stones would not be able to play venues like this again. They played one more number whilst we 4 or 5 "security staff " crossed their fingers then after suitable applause the crowd left in an orderly manner, I had always shared much of Mick's musical taste but this was the first time I realised just how good he was at crowd control.

John Clark "

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1570
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home