Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Streets of Love........
Posted by: LittleHelper ()
Date: March 18, 2006 04:51

So why didnt they play this song in the U.S if it was promoted alot.
are they gonna do it in Europe and put it on the next live album???
i think its a good song..i dont know why people say its embarassing.
its the stones...c'mon.

Re: Streets of Love........
Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: March 18, 2006 05:03

it's one of the worst stones songs of all time. no, wrong. it's one of the worst songs of all time by any band EVER.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: March 18, 2006 05:14

to be honest with you, it really was'nt promoted THAT much....the entire LP was sort of dumped by retailers after a week or two in the shops...can't say the stones did their part by playing a lot from it either......a shame too....great music that won't be heard by most casual fans.....

STONES JAM!! MICKEYS RULES!!! (burp) NADER IN 2016!!!!! GO GIANTS!!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 18, 2006 06:04

I hate SOL, it killed the commercial potential of the album. Embarassing.

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: March 18, 2006 06:33

huge mistake to include it on album and then as single.. shows the stones do not have a good producer (ie, a producer with authority to say "no, this is crap...this is NOT going on an album where we already have a bunch of really good songs!")

can one imagine jimmy miller putting up with "streets of love"?..

i bet at some point after the album came out mick (and i'll bet anything mick pushed the song) realized people hated it...

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: March 18, 2006 06:37

i cannot believe a real stones fan can like streets of love.. its absolutely horrible and the anti-thesis of everything i love about the band..

just had to add that to make sure its clear!

Posted by: Alvaro ()
Date: March 18, 2006 07:22

Well, i consider myself a real stones fan, i hear stones ecah day. I love the 72 tour and the 78, i love exile, let it bleed. i love some girls and its only rock and roll, i travel to see them, "its only (put a word) but i like" its the motto of my life.....but guys i LIKE streets of love. I cant see the magic of richards on it but i prefer it over the overrated Laugh....I mean, RJ is not all down the line, and let me down real slow is so 80's, you can complaint in every song....i dont know, the first time i hear SOL i was with collegues in a car and i feel embarrased, but, late, i loved the way jagger sings...and even i used to think that 40.000 thousands voices will singh AH AH AH AH in a stadium....sadly i now realise that it wont happen...but i like...ok its not in my 30 favourites (but Biggest Mistake its...) but...

Infamy its the worst stones song ever...i mean.....excellents worst, thru,thieft in the night,u dont have to mean it, TPIE and after...... Infamy...keith are you kidding?
That its embarrasing, is a demo, is wannabe, not a song.....

And i must say that ABB makes me happy its not the best possible but it is...exist, and make me sing and dance....
Im still waiting the guys sit down a day with a bunch of acoustic guitars and do something definitive...after that a tour in theaters...and after that......

Un beso a todos

Posted by: swsfo ()
Date: March 18, 2006 10:19

Speaking of Streets of Love - here is a link to a review of ABB....

[www.hollywoodjesus.com]

SwSFO

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 18, 2006 11:21

Great song. It has to grow on you. If you like Angie you like this. Period.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: March 18, 2006 12:02

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great song. It has to grow on you. If you like
> Angie you like this. Period.
>
>

now i know why i don't like SOL . . .

Posted by: Star star ()
Date: March 18, 2006 13:07

I think it´s not a bad song and hope to listen to this summer in Europe but for me it´s simply bored to listen to.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: March 18, 2006 13:10

It's a close call, but it comes second after Back to Zero of being the worst Stones song.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: March 18, 2006 13:32

I don't like but i was playing abb the other day and normally i'd skip it but this time dind't bother. I was thinking what a stupid song but in the end when Jagger raises his and all that i justlove it. Classic Jagger and all of a sudden it is a good song. But only for the last part.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 18, 2006 13:55

It is a ballad, and, as a general rule, ballads are there only to allow us to listen to the stones while dating chicks, but it is not a bad one.

The verse is so and so, the chorus is OK. What I don't really like is the cheap trick of a strong contrast between verse (basically only an acoustic guitar) and chorus (all the band in). We've heard it too many times before.

C

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: March 18, 2006 14:29

it'd be just our bloody luck for em to start playing it over here yawning smiley(

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: March 18, 2006 17:27

great song, not for fans of the past years indeed. Just like "dancing in the starlights", so magic... no words just listen...

Posted by: gut ()
Date: March 18, 2006 17:39

Its a boring but half-decent song, not the pile of feces that alot of people make it out to be. But is DEFINTELY NOT a single....just a filler track to be lost on an album like "Gomper" or something. They sould have never even attempted to promote it as a lead-off single. The video was waste of time and money.

As for marketing, this album and single were the most poorly marketed Stones product ever. If you're going to promote it as a single, you'd better get off your ass and do the work thats got to be done....TV appearances, radio visits, internet promos....lazily resting on their laurels and expecting big ain't gonna bring the bucks in anymore.

Its all Jagger's fault. Evidently he's surrounded by Yes-Men who don't dare question his instincts about what could be a hit.... but a few more of these types of "hits" and he'll have plenty of No-Men to set him straight.

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: March 18, 2006 17:47

RFD AND SOL VIDEOS HAVE A REALLY GOOD FEELING. REALLY PLEASANT TO SEE.

Posted by: Some Girl ()
Date: March 18, 2006 17:54

nikkibong Wrote:
> it's one of the worst stones songs of all time.
> no, wrong. it's one of the worst songs of all time
> by any band EVER.

Pretty much.

Posted by: gut ()
Date: March 18, 2006 17:55

I hated the SOL video. Horrible, cornball, needless storyline....that and I can't get its connection to Days of Our Lives out of my head. Completely ruined the song for me.

"Rain Fall Down" video....haven't seen it. Its a concert piss-break song, so it would really have to be a catchy video for me to watch.

Posted by: jfmiii21 ()
Date: March 19, 2006 00:31

I like SOL, but I do think it was a HUGE mistake to use it as the first single.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: March 19, 2006 01:23

'Streets Of Love'....

Or,as another poster used refer to it: ONNSOL(Oh No,Not Streets Of Love)^^

Before I heard it,and,from reading the vitriolic comments about it,I thought we'd have the PRO-LIFE lobby out in force for having an abortion like 'Streets of Love' to be allowed^^

Buuut...while it's definitely as cheesy as heck,and the exact opposite of sublime stones balladeering moments like 'Moonlight Mile','Winter,'Beast of Burden',the magnificent 'Slipping Away'..etc..etc...,and,while nightmarish visions of Aerosmith's MTV-whoring ballads came to mind when first hearing it,it's not the runt of the stones litter.

Okay,it's AOR/MOR cynical Jaggeresque pandering to the commercial masses,but,methinks it's saved from it's watery grave by that glorious chorus refrain.."I,I,I....". If the song will leave us with anything,it will be that (don't read on if you think this track is vehemently sacriligious to everything stones) wonderful "I,I,I" hook! It really is f*cking good. The verses may be slick MTV by-the-numbers schlock,but,that "I,I,I"....my my!! That doesn't make it a great song,but,at the very least it saves it from being the worst...

I actually think 'Infamy' is the poorest....and I'm a huge fan of almost EVERY other Keef-sang stones ditty. That track has so much potential,with just a smidgen more writing,it could have been brilliant. A wasted oppurtunity,the album should've finished with the much better and favourite o' mine "This Place Is Empty".

Date: March 19, 2006 01:36

It's obviously not as good as Angie or Laugh,I Nearly Died.What does Let Me Down Slow have to do with the 80's?

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: March 19, 2006 11:13

The big question is not if they will play Streets Of Love at the European shows, but if they will release another single before the European shows.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 20, 2006 05:17

Actually the video for RFD is pretty catchy. But if you hate the song you may not want to watch the video either...

Posted by: beast of burgk ()
Date: March 20, 2006 12:38

I don't really like the overproduced album version too much. But listen to the great Toronto rehearsal 6 min take which circulates as SBD!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-20 14:16 by beast of burgk.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 20, 2006 13:08

billwebster Wrote:
> The big question is not if they will play Streets
> Of Love at the European shows, but if they will
> release another single before the European shows.

Biggest Mistake appears to be the next single, going by the fact that its been getting a bit of airplay of late

Date: March 20, 2006 13:09

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> Great song. It has to grow on you. If you like
> Angie you like this. Period.
>
>

Nonsense

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: March 20, 2006 16:18

I have to agree with JumpingKentFlash. If you like Angie or similar things I don't see how u can't like Streets of Love. For God's sake, I named my late dog after Angie, but I still think it's no less cheesy than Streets Of Love. And that goes for many other Stones ballads. They're all great, even Streets of Love. I would enjoy seeing it live.

And I also think releasing Streets of Love and Rough Justice was a good idea, it just wasn't promoted well enough by Virgin. When it comes to promoting good/mature bands, Virgin is horrible. They screwed over the Smashing Pumpkins after Mellon Collie. Same with Goddess In the Doorway. That album should've been up for album of the year and instead Virgin took a crap on it and promoted younger artists who can't even carry a tune.

Date: March 20, 2006 17:11

Simple answer

Angie is a well-written song and musically excellent, despite the sentimentality. Over-familiarity hasnt been kind to it, however.

SOL isnt remotely in the same class. And the lyrics are, to quote a word much repeated during the song, awful. I dont think the song is the absolute stinker that some make it out to be, but as far as Stones singles go, its certainly substandard.

You're right about Virgin's lack of promotional nuance, however

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1529
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home