Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Quitting Smoking
Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: March 9, 2006 23:11

Question for any recovoring nicotine junkies out there -

How long does it take for the physical symptoms of the withdrawl to pass? I'm on hour 14 and am really dizzy and want to scratch an itch I seem to have on the inside of my skull. It's an unpleasant yet surreal feeling.

Seriously, though - what am I looking at? 2-3 days of being a neurotic, pissy bastard? I don't want to do the patch or gum because I want the nicotine completely out of my system. And I already feel healthier, in a weird way.

That said, any tricks or tips would be appreciated!

Re: OT: Quitting Smoking
Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 9, 2006 23:13

Smoke pot smiling smiley

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 9, 2006 23:17

JuanTCB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Question for any recovoring nicotine junkies out
> there -
>
> How long does it take for the physical symptoms of
> the withdrawl to pass? I'm on hour 14 and am
> really dizzy and want to scratch an itch I seem to
> have on the inside of my skull. It's an
> unpleasant yet surreal feeling.
>
> Seriously, though - what am I looking at? 2-3
> days of being a neurotic, pissy bastard? I don't
> want to do the patch or gum because I want the
> nicotine completely out of my system. And I
> already feel healthier, in a weird way.
>
> That said, any tricks or tips would be
> appreciated!
>
>

Not being funny or meaning to be insulting, if you're a genuine nictotine addict - then about the only thing that will really make you come to your senses is a good old fashioned health scare. Assuming you actually have future plans that might involve hanging around for a while yet before expiring, a health scare will generally make you quit the little white sticks for good !!

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: March 9, 2006 23:19

Put on a good Stones record and don't think about it!! You'll have to sit through it!!

Posted by: ruby t. ()
Date: March 9, 2006 23:22

Baby, break it down as the song said, try quitting gradually, from 9 one day to 8 the next, and so on. It works for some people, like me. it takes a while but the withdrawals aren't nearly as bad. you can actually cut down on drinking in much the same way if you are determined.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: March 9, 2006 23:25

Man, I have tried, but cant shake them. Hate to be the harbringer of doom...I have quit for as long as a year, but never could shake the urge to fire up another Marlboro...good luck! I think its more of a mental addiction, than a physical one.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: March 9, 2006 23:40

Juan wrote:

>Seriously, though - what am I looking at? 2-3 days of being a neurotic, pissy bastard? I don't want to do the patch or gum because I want the nicotine completely out of my system. And I already feel healthier, in a weird way

wow! alot of people on this site must be quitting smoking. Alot of pissy bastards out here!

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: March 9, 2006 23:46

I've heard that it takes 3 days or so to get past the physical aspect. Beyond that, it's fighting the habit.

I "quit" around 12 years ago. I say quit, because I would still smoke when I was out drinking with other smokers, which wasn't often. I haven't had any at all for about 2 years.

That being said, I still get cravings to this day, but I don't act upon them.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: March 9, 2006 23:54

It aint easy, Juan THC, in fact I am trying to quit now, too. I have actually gone a couple of days without a smoke in the last couple of weeks and then something will trigger it, usually a beer or twelve. I've got a couple of young daughters who really do need me, so that's my greatest motivation to quit. I'm going to try to let this current pack be my last. Seriously... no really...I mean it y'all.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 9, 2006 23:59

I quitted smoking for one years, between the age of 18 and 19. I hope that break will make me live longer.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 10, 2006 00:01

If you've managed to go 14 or shoe hours without a cigarette, then you really do have to keep plugging away. If you relent now, then what were the last 14 torturous hours for? You have to go all the way! Yeah, I'd say it'll take a few days for the nicotine to be fully drained out of you're system, but then I guess it's dependent on how many a day you smoke.

I smoke, but under 10 a day. Ha! I remember when I could make a pack of 10 Benson and Hedges last me a fortnight!

Date: March 10, 2006 00:07

I am happy to see you are trying to quit smoking. I started smoking ciggies just five years ago. I know now how stupid it was. I have tried several times to quit and failed. Hypnosis for $500.00, Went outside and sat on steps and lit up a ciggie. Went for 10 days and my husband said, Here, I bought you a pack as if you don't I am going to throw myself under a truck.
They say that it takes 2-3 days for the nicotine to be out of your system. After that its all in your head. Not sure of that personally. I do think that when you feel it the correct time to quit, You will do it. I know in my heart I am not ready at this moment,yet I am strong enough to do so when I am ready.

The patch made me feel very sick. The gum, forget it. Some people react good to the patch though. Its worth a try if you feel like giving in. I think keeping busy has alot to do with helping.

I wish you all the luck in the world. Just think that you won't smell like an ashtray,clothes will be fresh, Your cologne will smell really nice. I think you are in a time in which you are feeling anxiety from the lack of it. Two to three days and its out of your system though. Being strong in your mind will help the most.
Get a ton of chewing gum. Drink lots of water, Always cleans out the system. Keep it pure,Water and gum.

Good luck! You can do it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-10 00:09 by Sweetheartstogether.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 10, 2006 01:23

i do feel bad for addicts. cigs, like booze or pot (or you name it) - are meant to be enjoyed. addicts aren't really "enjoying" their vices, imo. I consider myself lucky. I enjoy cigars, cigarettes, booze (you name it!) whenever I want but have never really had any psychological or physiological addiction. Can go months or years between or indulge alot over a short period if I feel like it. Again, not boasting so much as sensing that I'm very fortunate in this regard....

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 10, 2006 01:26

T&A Wrote:
> i do feel bad for addicts. cigs, like booze or pot
> (or you name it) - are meant to be enjoyed.
> addicts aren't really "enjoying" their vices, imo.
> I consider myself lucky. I enjoy cigars,
> cigarettes, booze (you name it!) whenever I want
> but have never really had any psychological or
> physiological addiction. Can go months or years
> between or indulge alot over a short period if I
> feel like it. Again, not boasting so much as
> sensing that I'm very fortunate in this regard....

Hi, my name is ohnonotyouagain, and I am a Rolling Stones addict. I can't stop thinking about them, listening to them, spending my money on them, following them around, or posting about them on their unofficial fan club's message board. I think I have a problem!

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: March 10, 2006 01:26

Unlike Stonestod who is addicted to everything!!!!!!!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 10, 2006 01:36

J.J.Flash Wrote:
> Unlike Stonestod who is addicted to
> everything!!!!!!!

you don't know the half of it!

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: March 10, 2006 04:31

Hey T&A, I was the same way for years. Lots of years. I thought I was too strong to get addicted. I could take it or leave it. It'll creep up on you, though, my friend. Beware the powders. It's okay to boast, if you can pull it off. Just remember not to get too close to the edge, stay far enough back so you don't fall in.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 10, 2006 06:00

30 years of experience and still doubters out there about ol' T&A, eh?

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: March 10, 2006 06:15

Juan,

It really depends: some people have more symptoms than others.
If you're hour 14 you can count on at least 2 more days of pure hell. It's like being stoned, you feel a light feeling in your head. It's really bizarre.
What comes next is about a month of being stupidly depressed. You don't see any positive aspect anymore.
Keep it up!
Drink tea, not coffee.
Eat fruits, eat vegetables.
Those will help. Stay away from coffee or alcohol.
Go swimming. Do some physical labour.
And play a stones record, but don't be surprised if you don't even like you're stones records anymore.
Keep it up!

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: March 10, 2006 07:14

Thanks for the input, everybody - much appreciated!

OK - I'm on hour 22. Been guzzling water, tea, and dried fruits. I also cracked open a bottle of vino and rented a bunch of episodes of 24 to keep me distracted.

I think if I can get through tomorrow, I should be in pretty good shape. I'm even going to go for a jog when I wake up - believe me, that's not going to be pretty.

It's honestly not as bad as I expected (I've been smoking about a pack a day for about 15 years) though about once an hour I get a sudden urge to commit a homicide. Is that normal?

I'm actually going to avoid the Stones for another day or so. The visuals that come with Keith & Ron would be too much, for sure.

Alright - thanks again!

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: March 10, 2006 08:09

> It's honestly not as bad as I expected (I've been smoking about a pack a day for about 15 years) though about once an hour I get a sudden urge to commit a homicide. Is that normal?

Yes, that's very normal. You'll start thinking that the terrorists are right after all. It's very normal, and it will go away.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1958
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home