Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Overdubs
Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: June 1, 2005 22:31

I just read this on the german wikipedia site abou Overdubbing:

"In der Regel handelt es sich aber bei „Live-Alben“ um stark veränderte Konzertaufnahmen. Beispielsweise finden sich auf den Live-Alben der Rolling Stones unzählige Overdubs."

Translated: "Normally live albums are strongly edited concert recordings. For example on the live albums of the Rolling Stones you can find countless overdubs."

Ok, I know that Ya-Ya's has many vocal overdubs, but is it really true that the Stones stick out so much when it comes to overdubbing?
If the author is right, which Stones live albums are so heavily overdubbed?

Re: Overdubs
Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: June 1, 2005 22:39

Hmmm... don't think they stand out a lot.

Don't forget Wikipedia, one of the most interesting webdevelopments of the last few years, is strongly based on user input. If the writer in question knows a lot on the Stones, he might use them as his (only) example. Started topics are not a priori checked on the way the information in it is balanced! The balancing happens e.g. when, based on e.g. a discussion (did you see every topic has a possibility to discuss) an editor thinks it realistic to make changes to the topic.
That way, over the years, an article might be balanced out or get more objective. Freshly started articles, especially in another language than English (oldest), might still be subject to alteration. You have the possibility to contribute to this yourself I think. It's a good system but if 'facts' are not checked/discussed, you might get fooled. I love Wikipedia.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: June 1, 2005 22:45

You see? I looked it up in the English version, and that one has as example an Eric Clapton song at the topic 'overdub'. It does not mention live albums either. The author probably knows a bit more about Clapton than on others. No discussion has been started there yet.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: June 2, 2005 01:25

Flashpoint, Love You Live, Still Live.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: June 2, 2005 02:35

best example is love you live, compare it with Paris au Printemps, obvious what's been added (mick vocals on star star) and what's been wiped (billy preston on Brown sugar),

Posted by: FoolToCry ()
Date: March 9, 2006 15:29

Streetfighting Man on LiveLicks has got new Mick vocals.
Brown Sugar & Rocks Off (it was discussed very often) has got edits...don´t tell me why?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 9, 2006 15:39

Until Still Life, all live albums are heavilly edited and new vocals added, but as far as I know, no instruments have been added. On Still Life it was the first time that also guitar parts were added. Flashpoint is overdubbed to an extent that you can hardly call it a live album anymore. But this is fairly standard, as even the most famous live albums like Frampton Comes Alive and the Thin Lizzy album are heavily overdubbed.

Mathijs

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: March 9, 2006 17:58

It was me who wrote that article and the thread already shows that the basic statement is right (if you include the edits). Replacing the original live vocals with studio recordings is a heavy overdub for me because it alters the concert situation. If you compare the LIVER THAN YOU'LL EVER BE bootleg with GET YER YA YA'S OUT! you know what I mean. Editing out verses like on SFTD from GYYO is also a disturbance of the 'live' situation so the right to call an album 'live' or 'in concert' diminishes.

There are artists like Van Morrison or BB King where there are only very few, if any overdubs/edits on the live albums. Tehre you get a very good impression waht actually happened at the concert. Of course it is every artist's right to select the best songs/versions from various concerts and edit them onto a live album.

I also critizised the publishing policy of the Stones. If you think that one of the greatest groups on earth to this day does not offer a box where all the Decca period recordings are collected, including the singles and rare album tracks in the best possible quality it's a plain shame. I have not forgiven Andrew Loog Oldham that he only put mono versions on songs like 'We love you' with its great stereo effects on THE LONDON YEARS.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 9, 2006 18:55

ThatsWhatISay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > If the author is right, which Stones live albums
> are so heavily overdubbed?

every single one of them

Got Live If you Want It even has studio recordings overdubbed with audience screams!

Chris M's excellent 'Revelations' site gives the lowdown on Ya Yas

Heres an interesting article (written over 20 years ago, so maybe a couple of updates required - but still pretty accurate) regarding LYL and Still Life

[home.datacomm.ch]

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 9, 2006 19:47

Gazza, is there a home page for that site? The article doesn't link to one. Thanks.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 9, 2006 20:08

Re overdubs on mannish boy. Yesterday I was listening to the Sucking 70s version. Did Jagger play the harp? If so some parts must be odubbed, because I hear harp and voice all together.

C

Date: March 9, 2006 22:33

cc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gazza, is there a home page for that site? The
> article doesn't link to one. Thanks.

[home.datacomm.ch]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-09 22:34 by Gazza.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 9, 2006 22:36

Gazza, on your (great) homepage, it says that "Stray Cat Blues" from GYYYO is from Baltimore. I can't compare as I still miss the entire Baltimore show, but I just wondered if this is correct. I thought it was MSG.....(perhaps you are tired of this question)

Date: March 9, 2006 22:40

LOL...its from Baltimore OK.

GYYYO is not alone in Stones live albums as listing (deliberately) erroneous info on the cover regarding the sources of the tracks - eg Got Live if You Want It, Love You Live

Date: March 9, 2006 22:49

Thanks.
Yes, I know about the uncorrectness (is that an English word?) on the cover. It's just that SCB is listed several places as MSG (among good bootleg sources). I also remember a long time ago that Mathijs wrote that "I know for certain that this is NOT from Baltimore, but MSG!, just check for yourself etc. etc". That's why I asked.
I've also wondered about something else (I guess I'm the only in this town wondering about that), wasn't it in a contract from Decca, that no live versions of Decca songs could be released that was from concerts, 5 years after 1970?
Doesn't that mean that "Sympathy For The Devil" on LYL (July 9th 75), is "illegal"? That the wrong information on the cover made it pass?
I'm not planning to sue the Stones, I'm just curious about it.....

Date: March 9, 2006 23:47

Gazza, did you see this post? I know a person who is an attorney.....do you think we have a case?

Date: March 10, 2006 00:55

LOL..I dont know what the legalities were... I know that they had to abandon plans to release a live album from the 1972 tour because of problems over the publishing rights to the Decca-era material.

I suppose that problem was resolved by the time Love You Live was recorded. Maybe Klein being allowed to release 'Metamorphosis' in the interim period was part of some 'trade off'

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1370
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home