Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

did you know that....
Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: February 22, 2006 15:32

musical talent is genetic, I mean inborn.
people who can make a guitar sound nice can make everthing sound nice. They just have to make a sound and it's music!

I know there's alot of guitarplayers who wonder why they never get the sound they're looking for. It's got nothing to do with material or technique for that matter. This is a widespred assumption that pisses me off sometimes.

fact is...nobody knows.

I can play just about all stones music with great feel for rythm and taste, but it still sounds crappy, so I gave up and accepted I just don't have the 'x' factor that's needed for making true musical sound. Still love listening to it of course.

Music is one of the last great mysteries.. what is it? where does it come from?
and what is talent anyway?

The world's unfair man.. sigh smiling smiley

Re: did you know that....
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 22, 2006 16:00

"I think that music is a physical thing. Even though you can't see it. It's a living thing. In it there's a spirit. You can see what it does. It can move a curtain. It can make people cry. It can give you goosebumps. It can make you scream. It can make you mad. It can make you sore. It's an invisible thing that has great impact. So in order to believe in it, I guess you have to have a lot of faith in the unknown. And so it's good. It humbles you.
"Keith has that approach to music. He's awed by it. And plus ... it's like certain little voicings with the guitar can make you weep. He very much approaches music in a physical way, in an animal way. ... He's made out of something that music likes to be around."
- Tom Waits

"It's a matter of touch. It's a matter of feel. And it's a mystery."
- Keith

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Date: February 22, 2006 16:51

I awe, I feel, I touch.........and I still suck!

Now ain't that a bitch.

Even great musicians like keith don't know where it comes from, they just grab it and play with it. I don't think there's any spiritual effort involved or any of that mambo jambo. A magnet does't 'feel'but still it attrackts. Musicians don't feel any deeper than average people, they probably feel much lighter since they can soothe their own emotions by making music.

I hope some day they discover what it is so everyone can do it..not just the lucky few.

2058: musical talent, once a great mystery, now available for 48,95 at your local drugstore, pills or inhaler. GET IT NOW!

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: February 22, 2006 16:59

I tend to agree with you to an extent. I'd love to be able to play better, but I got started later in life. I think my kids are creative artistically with drawing and such (don't we all tho). I hope that they want to pursue that path or some other creative/artistic outlet throughout their life. I wish I had honed my talents better as a youth.

In short, you've gotta have "it" in you, but you've also gotta grab it and run with it when you're young.

Date: February 22, 2006 18:01

me i don't have any gift at all for making music; as an adult i've spent lots of time among musicians, and witnessing them do that
... yeah, it's a mystery and a wonder, all right.
not having that gift sure can hurt, but still: i feel blessed to have some kind of gift for being a receptor of music.
especially since i have a sister who is capable of saying quite seriously that she doesn't like music - just like that! "i don't like music."
so how did i get so lucky? it's another mystery.

>> Musicians don't feel any deeper than average people <<

... if you mean that quote from Keith: i don't think he's saying musicians feel more; i think he's just searching for a word for the ineffable.

- Keith

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: February 22, 2006 18:28

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> not having that gift sure can hurt, but still: i
> feel blessed to have some kind of gift for being a
> receptor of music.

I've never thought of enjoying music as a gift, but I think you're right. Thats a very interesting observation. Some people could just care less. I personally don't understand that though.

Date: February 22, 2006 19:38

hey - if it weren't for us good sensitive music receptors, where would the people making the music be?!
not riding around in all those long black limousines, that's for sure. :E
seriously, though: being a good resonant receptor *is* a gift - one that not every musician has, actually - and it deserves appreciation.

- Keith

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 22, 2006 19:59

Technical prowess is great, but feel is what sets Keith apart from the Satrianis and Vais of the world. They have their place, too. I just prefer the feel of Keith, Steve Cropper, James Burton, Scooty Moore, etc.

Date: February 23, 2006 14:44

with sssoul, that's a nice way of looking at it. you're a sweety

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1934
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home