Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

abb five months later
Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: February 20, 2006 05:22

still a near great album four stars is the rating. Serengths. plays great as a whole contains four killers rj. onnya. dtf. rfd. Good-iwtl. ssmc. lwtcdi. lind. but some clunkers which are biggest mistake and infamy.

Re: abb five months later
Posted by: phd ()
Date: February 20, 2006 09:46

The more consistent CD since...Exile.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: February 20, 2006 13:32

Great album, runner up to "Exile" still in my opinion ...

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: February 20, 2006 14:18

I was totally sold on it at first; although I try to never use that overused phrase (not since 'Exile'...). But to be honest I do not listen to it often at all. To be TOTALLY honest I have to say that it is by far the least listened to new Stones album ever with me. And the problem are the lyrics. It's shallow, and not in a good way. Jagger is not shallow. So when he comes off that way, then he has misfired on some level.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Aucoin ()
Date: February 20, 2006 14:46

Didn't liked it when it came out and now I like it even less. Not a good album IMO and it won't stand the test in time. After the tour it will soon be forgotten. 2-3 good songs the rest is mediocre crap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-20 15:56 by Aucoin.

Posted by: todd40fla ()
Date: February 20, 2006 15:16

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's shallow, and not in a good way.
> Jagger is not shallow. So when he comes off that
> way, then he has misfired on some level.
>

I am in total agreement with chelsea drugstore....maybe years from now when the stones are gone i will revisit this album....and find something that i am not finding now.....

the album has the SOUND of a stones album....you can tap your feet and your heart may race a bit during a nice guitar lick...but there is nothing there as fas as feeling or meaning in the songs to really keep or hold that excitement.

at this point in their careers with all of their success.....maybe they have just run out of things to say.....

still, it is a stones album and i am always thankful for that....

i am reminded of the time when voodoo lounge first came out....i was in line for tix to a voodoo lounge tour and a guy on line asked me what i thought of the album....i said...well it's ok i guess....still haven't really gotten into it.....

the guy looked at me like i was a moron...and said...what kind of fan are you? that album is amazing!!! so i went back and listened again and again...and started to see his point.....hopefully that happens with abb as well.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: February 20, 2006 15:18

Best thing since Undercover

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: February 20, 2006 15:32

I play ones in every two weeks or something and i like then. I do skip the same songs everytime. I only play RJ, LMDS, RFD, TPIE, LIND and LWTCDI (great, great song).

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: February 21, 2006 23:11

I like it much more than '86-'02 material. Still hate the artwork. Not that crazy about the production. Really like IWTL, RFD and RJ.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 21, 2006 23:15

Still addin' $ to my power bill....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: February 21, 2006 23:17

I'm still digging it. Favorite songs at the moment are Under the Radar and Laugh, I Nearly Died. Man, I wish they'd play those live!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 21, 2006 23:17

todd40fla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> at this point in their careers with all of their
> success.....maybe they have just run out of things
> to say.....
>
>

yup. it's called "the muse." You can't just dial it up when it comes time to record an album. It's either present or it's not. It's amazing how present it was for most of the 60's & 70's for these cats. I'll always be grateful for that.

Posted by: theboys ()
Date: February 21, 2006 23:20

ABB is very good IMO. The stones sound is there, almost like they went 'back in the garage' to work it out. 'the boys' still got it, probably the only suggestion might be a couple less songs on a release to not water it down some.

Laugh!. . .Laugh? - I nearly diiiiiiiiiied YEE HA

theboys

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: February 22, 2006 00:22

The album has so far kept a low profile. ABB lacks some Memphis soul music. It may be a departure from the sound of VL / Bridges into a rawer direction, but in some cases that lead to songs that are loud but weak nonetheless. Oh No Not You Again is on the way to becoming the next You Got Me Rocking in the setlists, a role which I think should go to She Saw Me Coming. Look What the Cat Dragged In should have made some room on disc for We Don't Wanna Go Home. Streets Of Love makes use of the word awful in its lyrics for way too much. On the louder tracks, there is some kind of distortion on Jagger's vocal mic that should not be there. Maybe that was messed up during mastering. I just don't like the groove of Rain Fall Down.
But Let Me Down Slow has great melodious guitars, and Biggest Mistake has maybe Jagger's most personal lyrics ever. The lyrics of Sweet Neo-Con may be heartfelt, too, but the song does not do it for me - I don't like this kind of groove.
This Place Is Empty makes me appreciate Keith's final track on 40 Licks, Losing My Touch. Driving Too Fast is the cousin of Jumping Jack Flash, and I wish it had a 3rd verse, because the song happens during the verses and not during the chorus. Laugh has kept a low profile, just like the album, though the 1st impression was positive. I like the harmonica on Infamy, which is my choice for 2nd best Keith song since Steel Wheels.
Jagger's 'Huh!' from Under the Radar is sorely missed on the album.
For me, ABB now is about as good as VL and Bridges at the same time after I got them. Those two were growers, but ABB still has to show if it's also going to be one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home