Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Jagger Interview from 1998/
Date: February 16, 2006 21:10

I just wanted to share this interview that I saved, Just in case I ever lost it on PC. Mick does mention Elvis Presley. Anyway, I wanted to share this with everyone. I just think someday, I will lose it.

Enjoy!

Mick Jagger Interview from AOL 11-19-1998

Q: Mick, there are rumors of a big concert at the pyramids for new years 2000. Would you be involved in that rumor, or is the band planning anything special?

Mick Jagger: We have been offered a lot of different Millennium shows, each one madder than the next. But I'm torn between a concert and just enjoying myself like everybody else. Still, there's a whole year to make up one's mind.

Scroll down to read the full transcript...

MTV Arena1: The Stones have now announced dates and venues for their upcoming "No Security" tour, which will take the band to 25 cities throughout the U.S. and Canada. The tour kicks off on January 25th in Oakland, California. After years of playing stadiums, this marks the band's first arena tour in over two decades. This time around, they'll be giving their fans a more intimate show, with an entirely new stage, excellent visual opportunities for ticket holders in all seating areas, and great views from every seat in the house.

Tonight, we are very fortunate to have the one and only Mick Jagger with us to answer all of your questions about the upcoming tour, his music, and his life as a Stone. Hello, and welcome, to Mick Jagger and to all the Stones fans out there.

Mick Jagger: Hi everybody out there, and welcome. It's 1am where I am and I've just been banging around playing guitar on a new song, and interrupted that thunderous noise to come into the living room and talk to you gals and guys.

MTVRock: Tsbeckman has the first questions for Mr. Jagger tonight:

Question: Mick -- is this tour going to be different or can we expect "Start Me Up" "Jumpin' Jack Flash" "Honky Tonk Woman" "Satisfaction" & "Brown Sugar" yet again?

Mick Jagger: Not necessarily in that order. But seriously, we don't really know what the set list is going to be, we've done those songs quite a lot on the last tour. So there no reason why we shouldn't vary the set list quite a lot. However, there are some people who only come to hear those songs...so if they shout loud enough…maybe we'll do them.

MTVRock: RexJagger1 asks:

Question: Have you given any thought to another solo album?

Mick Jagger: yeah... I don't really have any firm plans at the moment. I'm starting to write songs, but I don't know what's going to happen to them. I have this tour coming out and some shows in England, so I can't really get serious about recording plans at this point.

MTVRock: FPhilJR asks:

Question: I will be at the Memphis show and I wanted to know if you are a fan of Elvis?

Mick Jagger: Yes, I used to love Elvis. When he first came out I was a great fan of Elvis. I guess I kind of went off him a bit. But I still love a lot of his stuff. I'm much more a fan of his blues and rockabilly period, but I never saw him on stage period, which is a bit of a drag. The thing about Elvis is that he didn't tour very much. Which is odd if you put that in a current environment of music. He toured a lot in Vegas, but I don't remember him ever doing the Garden. Which is a shame, I suppose.

MTVRock: Ruby102160 asks:

Question: My 8 Yr. old daughter loves your music, especially "Memory Motel" and "Corrina." She asks, "How do you shop for clothes and what kind of disguise do you use?

Mick Jagger: Well... I've shopped for clothes the same ways as most people. I go into stores when I need something...dressed as Elvis I have a very short fuse and I can't spend too much time in one store without running out. I'm not much of a shopaholic. I like quick, short, fast raids on clothes shops...exiting with armfuls of things, most of which I never wear.

MTVRock: Chachi8362 asks:

Question: Mr. Jagger you are the coolest. Your music is great. I thought you were awesome in the movie "Freejack." I was wondering if you plan to be in any more movies, cause you were awesome. My favorite song of yours is "You Can't Always Get What You Want"

Mick Jagger: I'm doing three things in movies at the moment…some of it is producing...some of it writing...so hopefully one of these movies I will be acting in. Who knows, something may come of this all next year.

MTVRock: This comes from the e-mail bag: Dangerbus asks: What's up with the $300 tickets for the tour?

Mick Jagger: There are some golden circle tickets for the tour which amount to 10 percent of the total available seats. And these are priced between $175 and $300. 90 percent of the seats average $75. The first 10 rows of the arena are priced between $40 and $75

MTVRock: PegWoman98 asks:

Question: Why no dates in New York City, it's been mentioned in a lot of songs?

Mick Jagger: That is one of my favorite cities for song subjects. We just did 5 shows at the Garden on the "Babylon." I think that was enough for the moment. we also did Stadium and the Garden. So I feel that we did cover New York. **Note: I'd just like to correct my statement about Elvis. he played Madison Square Garden in 1972!

MTVRock: Another from the e-mail: SpankySK asks: "What the world needs now is _____?"

Mick Jagger: Another rock band, who knows 4 chords.

MTVRock: TMidnightR asks:

Question: Hiya Mick! This is Vera, the Midnight Rambler. My question for you is -- what do you see for the Rolling Stones in the New Millenium?

Mick Jagger: A whole new direction and a new wardrobe. Cheap road travel also. Sorry…rail travel!

MTVRock: RubyTuesDi asks:

Question: How hard was it to select the track for "No Security?"

Mick Jagger: It was very easy because I didn't want any tracks that have been out on Live records before…so it limited the choice somewhat. And I wanted some slightly underused songs. and I also wanted them to be songs that we could play. So that narrowed it down to about twenty!

MTVRock: From the e-mail: Buzz117BC asks: What's your website address? Any cybercasts planned?

Mick Jagger: www.the-rolling-stones.com. Yes, we hope to be doing cybercasts every weekend if technically possible

MTVRock: FunkyMonk3 asks:

Question: Mick, you bought the rights to "Kalki," the Gore Vidal book, do you plan to do anything with it?

Mick Jagger: No. I only optioned that for two years and that was millions of years ago. that completed lapsed and I'm not interested in that anymore.

MTVRock: Razzy9999 asks:

Question: What do you think of the newer bands like Marilyn Manson, Hanson and Spice Girls?

Mick Jagger: Out of those three... Marilyn has by far the most interesting look. I'm not really in the market for prepubescent boys…my children now think the Spice Girls demode.

MTVRock: brian@bl.net sent this question in: "What are your plans for the holidays?"

Mick Jagger: I get Christmas morning off! But seriously, I do play some beach action this Christmas.

MTVRock: Jeruhx78 wants to know: "Mick, what kind of cars do your drive?"

Mick Jagger: At the moment, I'm driving a 1978 Pugeut Station wagon However, I do have some beautiful red Ferraris which I'm going to get out tomorrow and burn up the local freeway! and I have a very nice 1936 Cadillac convertible but as the temp. is around 25 degrees.. it's going to stay inside

MTVRock: Kitty asks "Mick what do you think about the new Rolling Stones, A LIFE ON THE ROAD book?"

Mick Jagger: Well it's got some incredible old pictures in it and some pretty good new ones. Sometimes I look at it and think: "Did I really do all those things?" and the answer came back "NO!" I think it's a great book. It's very good for a door stop.

MTVRock: Mtollar wants to know:

Question: Have your children changed the direction of your career at all?

Mick Jagger: No.

MTVRock: Tada795 asks:

Question: Mick, how do you continue to write great songs over and over? There are a lot of good bands out there but there are no great ones. Everyone seems to be one hit wonders. Why do you think this is happening?

Mick Jagger: I wouldn't say that there are no good songwriters and no good bands. I don't think that true. I think there are a lot of good songwriters. Not all are consistent and many songwriters like to go off in different directions and that's not so commercially successful. I think the entire music business has been made up of one hit singles. You work hard at it, you just hope that the inspiration is not gonna dry up. and when you get an inspiration, you use the craft you have to take it on to the next step.

MTVRock: Via e-mail, Bobx3 asks: "Mick, what is Jagged Internetworks, and what is your role in it?"

Mick Jagger: It's a sport site on the Internet. That broadcasts live events notably cricket. The website address is: www.jaggedinternetworks.com

MTVRock: Asterid 3 asks:

Question: Are there any up and coming bands that you enjoy or think we should pay more attention too?

Mick Jagger: Led Zeppelin Placebo is pretty fun. We're all enjoying the Fatboy Slim album

MTVRock: TDS GO3 asks:

Question: Who decides on your album covers?

Mick Jagger: Usually Charlie and me

MTVRock: SAMandTAR asks

Question: Mick, do you think the Stones will ever embrace the electronica sound that is popular now or remain true to their rock roots?

Mick Jagger: We've already have incorporated a lot of electronica sounds in our music. On the last record there were three of four things that were using loops and samples. Even on "Steel Wheels" we did that. I think you can combine your roots and new technology without losing yourself. Sorry: your soul.

MTVRock: BZAVRIL sends in the question: What instrument to you most like to play when not on vocals

Mick Jagger: I don't like to stop singing...but if I have to I'm happy playing harmonica, but I also love playing guitar, even maracas.

MTVRock: ARague asks:

Question: What type of classical music do you listen to? Who are your favorites

Mick Jagger: I'm quite traditional in my taste in classical music. I like Purcell and English romantic composers. Tonight we were listening to a composer called John Adams who is American. Also, I have a weakness for Messiaen

MTVRock: ChinaDolll asks:

Question: Mick--What are some of the greatest things which inspire you besides your music?

Mick Jagger: Beauty in all its forms.

MTVRock: In from e-mail... "Please explain the significance of the new album cover?"

Mick Jagger: The couple look like 1) ordinary concert goes 2) rather vulnerable. They suggested that life knows "no security." correction: concert goers

MTVRock: Quasim0t0 asks: "If you could play any role in any movie, what would it be?"

Mick Jagger: Elvis in "Blue Hawaii" or Claude Raines' part in "Casablanca" or Marilyn Monroe's part in "Some Like It Hot"

MTVRock: Paties LA asks:

Question: Will this tour be as huge and exciting as the Bridges tour?

Mick Jagger: Well it's not going to be as long or large...the whole idea is that we are playing smaller places. But it will be as, if not more, exciting!

MTVRock: Our final question will be coming from CptnTrips0 who asks:

Question: Mick, there are rumors of a big concert at the pyramids for new years 2000. Would you be involved in that rumor, or is the band planning anything special?

Mick Jagger: We have been offered a lot of different Millennium shows, each one madder than the next. But I'm torn between a concert and just enjoying myself like everybody else. Still, there's a whole year to make up one's mind.

MTV Arena1: Thanks very much for all your questions, and a very special thanks to Mick Jagger. See you all on tour!

Mick Jagger: It's been great chatting to you and answering your questions I was just getting into it when we had to stop. One day, it will all go faster. Good night everybody. I hope to see a lot of you on the tour early next year! God bless. Good night.

MTV Arena1: Copyright 1998 Virgin Records America, Inc. under license to MTV Online and America Online, Inc.
11/19/1998 9:03 PM

Re: Mick Jagger Interview from 1998/
Posted by: stonethobo ()
Date: February 16, 2006 21:27

Elvis didn´t tour a lot? I think he toured constantly from 1969 until his death 1977. But ok, he only toured the US.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: February 16, 2006 21:53

Sweet -heart-rooster thanks you!!!!I like the Elvis part!

Date: February 16, 2006 23:13

One of the questions I had asked in that forum was about a question my 8 yr old daughter had asked. She wanted to know where he shops for clothes. I thought it was so cute that he said, He shops for clothes, Dressed as Elvis and gets many clothes in which he never wears.
Very sweet!

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: February 17, 2006 01:40

Great interview, thanks for posting it. I thought this part was interesting:

Question: Have your children changed the direction of your career at all?

Mick Jagger: No.

It seems like he didn't need to think about that one very long. I guess the Stones are the number one driving force in his life and everything else, even family, comes second. Which seems a little cold, but then again if he weren't as focused on the band as he is, they probably would have broken up a long time ago.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1524
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home