Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Past tours and new cds.
Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: February 4, 2006 22:15

Was just looking at some old setlists from Voodo lounge and B2B tours and even on thoes they only averaged 3 to 4 new songs a night from each of thoes cds which were new at that time and thats the same thing there doing on this tour so why is everyone complaning they have not changed anything this tour. I guess my question is did everyone complain as much back then.

Re: Past tours and new cds.
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 4, 2006 22:20

Then, they did a lot of songs, which they hadn't played for decades, or never.
Monkey Man, Not Fade Away, Heartbreaker, etc.
I guess that's the reason for not complaining then.
But, there were some complaints even then, for instance that "Miss You have to go". There wasn't that much discussion back then on the internet, so people didn't really discuss or compared setlists, as nowadays, when we get the setlists up, the same night as the show.

Date: February 4, 2006 22:28

True but then again there doing songs now that have not been done before or have not been done in a long time like Sway or As tears go by and get off my cloud and Shes so cold. So really things have not changed much at all except like you say now we have the internet.

Date: February 4, 2006 22:31

But the ones you mentioned there are about the only ones. (GOOMC was done not long ago)

Date: February 4, 2006 22:41

I mentioned 3 or 4 songs thats all you mentioned.

Date: February 4, 2006 23:07

Now, what do you mean? You want me to mention more?
What I'm saying is: there are about 3-4 "rare" tracks this tour + a few ones from the new album.
In both 1994, 1997 and 1999 there were much more "rare" songs.
If you want to know exactly which songs, go to rocksoff.com to look at setlists.
I don't bother to write all of them down.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 5, 2006 05:08

Rickster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was just looking at some old setlists from Voodo
> lounge and B2B tours and even on thoes they only
> averaged 3 to 4 new songs a night from each of
> thoes cds which were new at that time

wrong. At the start of the Voodoo Lounge tour they were playing 6-7 new songs per night. On BTB it was only a couple (because the tour started before the album was released) but it quickly picked up to around 4-5. To play only 2-3 songs at the start of a tour off an unreleased album (as was the case with ABB too) isnt that bad. (in fact they played 4 early in the tour which was pretty laudable) Five months into the tour, to be playing TWO songs from it is inexcusable.

and thats
> the same thing there doing on this tour so why is
> everyone complaning they have not changed anything
> this tour.

Jesus...how many times does this have to be spelled out before you get it? Ok..read this slowly. Look again at the setlists from previous tours and this one and compare the percentage of songs that are "warhorses" to this one. On previous tours they a) played more old songs that werent warhorses and b) dug out several more songs which they hadnt played in years and which hadnt been played to death on previous tours.

I guess my question is did everyone
> complain as much back then.

well..you seem to start about 2 threads a day complaining about the complainers and making sweeping statements about everyone who doesnt think everything is fantastic.

You want proof? OK...lets use the VL opening night and ABB opening night as 'samples' and compare and contrast

opening night Voodoo Lounge tour (Washington 1/8/94)

Not Fade Away/Undercover Of The Night/Tumbling Dice/Live With Me/ You Got Me Rocking/Rocks Off/Sparks Will Fly/Shattered/Satisfaction/
Beast Of Burden/Memory Motel/Out Of Tears/All Down The Line/Hot Stuff/
I Can’t Get Next To You/Brand New Car/Honky Tonk Women/Before They Make Me Run/The Worst/Love Is Strong/Monkey Man/I Go Wild/Start Me Up/
It’s Only Rock’n Roll/Street Fighting Man/Brown Sugar/Jumping Jack Flash)

Number of songs played : 27
Number of songs from new album : 7
Number of songs that had been played on previous tour : 11 out of 27
(including 'Shattered', which was only played on the opening night in '89 but wasnt finished due to a power failure)
Number of songs that would later appear on 40 Licks (ie, 'warhorses') : 14 out of 27 (just over 50% of the show - technically its 12 out of 27 (44%) as Love is Strong and YGMR were 'new songs' on this tour)
Number of world premieres : 3 (Memory Motel, Out of tears, The Worst)
(7 0thers - YGMR, Sparks Will Fly, I Cant get Next to You, Monkey Man, Love is strong, Brand new car, I Go Wild) had been premiered at the club show in Toronto 13 days earlier. (so thats 10 out of 27 songs that were new to a Stones audience this tour)

Other notes:
Not fade Away - last played 1966. All Down The Line - last played 1981.
Hot stuff - last played 1977. Beast of Burden - last played 1982.

of the songs that had been played at the club show and which were played in Washington:
Live with me - last played 1973. Rocks Off - last played 1973. Shattered - only performance since 1982 was the 'aborted' performance on Steel Wheels opening night in 1989.

Summary - of the 27 songs played, 10 were being played on tour for the first time and 16 in total had not been played on the most recent tour which had ended 4 years previously (17 if you count Shattered)

Opening night : A Bigger Bang tour, Boston 21.8.05

Start Me Up/You Got Me Rocking/Shattered/Tumbling Dice/Rough Justice/
Back Of My Hand/Beast Of Burden/She's So Cold/Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo/Night Time/
/The Worst/Infamy/Miss You/Oh No, Not You Again/Satisfaction/Honky
Tonk Women/Out Of Control/Sympathy For The Devil/Jumping Jack Flash/
Brown Sugar/You Can't Always Get What You Want/It's Only Rock'n Roll)

Number of songs played : 22
Number of songs from new album : 4
Number of songs that had been played on previous tour : 16 out of 22
Number of songs that were on "40 Licks" (ie, warhorses) - 13 out of 22 (59%)
Number of world premieres : 1 (Night Time)
(4 others - the 4 songs from ABB were premiered at the club show in Toronto 11 days earlier, so this show had 5 songs out of 22 that were new to a Stones audience this tour

Summary : Aside from the 4 new songs and the cover of "Night Time" which were new to the show, the ONLY song played which had NOT been played on the most recent tour ("licks") which had ended 21 months earlier was Shes So Cold, which had last been played in 1982 - therefore, 6 songs out of 22 that had not been played in 2002-2003

Obviously the figures fluctuate slightly if you choose to cherrypick shows from each tour to compare (but not in the favour of your argument as far as I can see) but I think you get the picture

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-05 08:12 by Gazza.

Date: February 5, 2006 05:20

Rickster Wrote:
> True but then again there doing songs now that
> have not been done before or have not been done in
> a long time like Sway or As tears go by and get
> off my cloud and Shes so cold. So really things
> have not changed much at all except like you say
> now we have the internet.

Sway has been played twice. Yeah, its great that they played it (I was very pleased they did so at a show I was at) but to throw that one into the argument as evidence that theyre digging out all these rarely played songs is a bit spurious

As Tears go By wasnt debuted until almost 3 months into the tour and has only been played, what, 6-7 times?

GOOMC's frequency in the setlist is only recent, but a fair enough call. That said, it was played in '99 on a semi-regular basis.

The only old song that was a regular on this tour that had been missing from the setlist for a long time has been Shes so Cold - and since the turn of the year, it has hardly been played at all.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: February 5, 2006 05:42

Gazza Wrote:
> opening night Voodoo Lounge tour (Washington
> 1/8/94)
>
> Not Fade Away/Undercover Of The Night/Tumbling
> Dice/Live With Me/ You Got Me
> Rocking/Rocks Off/Sparks Will
> Fly/Shattered/Satisfaction/
> Beast Of Burden/Memory Motel/Out Of Tears/All Down
> The Line/Hot Stuff/
> I Can’t Get Next To You/Brand New Car/Honky Tonk
> Women/Before They Make Me Run/The Worst/Love Is
> Strong/Monkey Man/I Go Wild/Start Me Up/
> It’s Only Rock’n Roll/Street Fighting Man/Brown
> Sugar/Jumping Jack Flash)
>
> Number of songs played : 27
> Number of songs from new album : 7
> Number of songs that had been played on previous
> tour : 11 out of 27
Number of really shite songs: 5
You Got Me Rocking/ Sparks Will Fly / Out Of Tears/ Brand New Car/
I Go Wild
22/27=81% good

> Opening night : A Bigger Bang tour, Boston
> 21.8.05
>
>
> Start Me Up/You Got Me Rocking/Shattered/Tumbling
> Dice/Rough Justice/
> Back Of My Hand/Beast Of Burden/She's So Cold/Doo
> Doo Doo Doo Doo/Night Time/
> /The Worst/Infamy/Miss You/Oh No, Not You
> Again/Satisfaction/Honky
> Tonk Women/Out Of Control/Sympathy For The
> Devil/Jumping Jack Flash/
> Brown Sugar/You Can't Always Get What You
> Want/It's Only Rock'n Roll)
>
> Number of songs played : 22
> Number of songs from new album : 4
> Number of songs that had been played on previous
> tour : 16 out of 22
Number of really shite songs: 3
You Got Me Rocking/Infamy/Out Of Control
19/22 = 86% good

lol

Date: February 5, 2006 05:49

Hilarious , but not really the point of Rickster's 'argument'

("Out of control" is 'shite' ? Christ...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-05 05:51 by Gazza.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: February 5, 2006 05:54

Gazza Wrote:
> Hilarious , but not really the point of Rickster's
> 'argument'
>
> ("Out of control" is 'shite' ? Christ...)
>
>
>
> Edited 1 times. Last edit at 02/05/06 05:51 by
> Gazza.

word, thats why they stopped playing it

i was at both shows, fenway was way way better
rfk 2nd night was better too, even miss you for hot stuff was an improvement lol

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: February 5, 2006 10:38

They're also touring a lot more now than they were in '94.

Think about it - in the last 10 years, they've toured in '97, '98, '99, '02, '03, '05, & '06.

Combine that with obscene ticket prices, commemorative "Keith takes a crap - Oct. 17, 2005" souvenir t-shirts, fans getting their appetite whetted by certain rarities/debuts here and there, AND the internet and sites like this one and people will start to complain about a 7 minute "Miss You" tour after tour after tour after tour after tour . . .

Personally, I think they're touring too much, if only in the sense that people (us included) may be starting to take them for granted. But once all is said and done (read: once one of 'em croaks and it finally ends), this era will be looked upon more favorably. We've really got it pretty good these days! I'd even go so far as to say that we're in a second goldon era, of sorts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1446
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home