Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Motley Crud
Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: January 31, 2006 17:43

How can these hair metal dorks be the support for the European tour?, what a disgrace, I will consider boycotting the tour rather than pay money for those lowlife. The Stones have in recent years always had with a couple of exceptions terrible support bands, but this is a new low.

Have you noticed as the Stones have got older the supports have got worse.

60's great - Chuck,Tina,Taj Mahal

70's/80's good - Thorogood,Iggy,Tosh

Since then godawful shite, Sheryl Corw,Dave Mathews,Maroon Babbooon,Black breathe peas etc. urrrrrrrgggggggggghhhh.

There are plenty of great bands who would love the gig, why not get the Beasts of Bourbon? They would nail it.

Re: Motley Crud
Posted by: Aucoin ()
Date: January 31, 2006 17:49

Can't wait to see Mötley supporting The Stones. WOW!!! Best package in ages!!!

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: January 31, 2006 18:02

Yeah baby - Motley Crue ROCK!

to all you whining, moaning @#$%&. Stop bitching about the support bands that you don't like and stay away till the Stones come on. It's that simple!

It's what I've done when all that pop crap has supported them, don't find me constantly bitching about it. Bring on the Crue.

Put it like this, from the last two tours by Crue and Stones - without doubt the Motley crowd were more into rocking out and enjoying themselves than the stones crowd - and you didn't see any suits, shirts or slacks in the crowd!

anyway you slice it, I'M gonna enjoy myself if the Crue are any of the dates that i've got planned - and there's not a damn thing any of you cry babys can do about it.

Also while I'm at it - lets have Acca Dacca back, now thats a double bill thats worth the admission price!

Posted by: OILY_DIPSTICK ()
Date: January 31, 2006 18:05

Who's bothered, it's no big deal.
We are going to see The RS.

Oily.

Date: January 31, 2006 18:10

Monkeytonkwoman your so tough, we're all scared,t estosterone fueled tosspot comes to mind,proves my point though, all the Crue fans will be dragging there knuckles along the ground, puking and looking for there mommies who they lost in the crowd.

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: January 31, 2006 18:22

humanriff77 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Monkeytonkwoman your so tough, we're all
> scared,t estosterone fueled tosspot comes to
> mind,proves my point though, all the Crue fans
> will be dragging there knuckles along the ground,
> puking and looking for there mommies who they lost
> in the crowd.

Which Crue shows this tour did you attend where you saw people dragging knuckles on the ground and puking looking for their mommy ?

I've attended Motley Crue gigs this current tour and found them to be a blast. Great audience energy, fun rockin' tunes, some hilarious stage antics... honestly some of the best concerts I've ever attended.

To get BOTH the Crue and the Stones on the same stage, same night is an incredible bargain. Stones fans who still have some dance left in them will love it.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: January 31, 2006 18:23

who cares ... who actually watches the opener??? lol...the crue.....

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: January 31, 2006 18:34

Ha, humanriff77, you made my day. what an eloquent response.

you got me chuckling all day now baby - good one man!

Like I say, stay in the bar/carpark/whatever, away from all the hairy commoners enjoying the band. No problem - everyones happy

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: January 31, 2006 18:35

I don't like very much Crue, but I prefer that band to others that are heared during these days on the radio...

Posted by: R ()
Date: January 31, 2006 18:43

The 'Crue recorded their new DVD in my town last Spring. Because it was a DVD taping things got dragged out a bit but the first set was a hoot. However Vince Neil has lost his looks entirely which serves to amplify the fact that he cannot sing and Mick Mars can barely walk having had both hips replaced apparently. For the most part Nikki (apparently the brains behind the group) and Tommy carry the show.

I think 60 minutes of Motley Crue would be a great way to start a Stones show. Surely better than John Mayer, Maroon 5, Spin Doctors, Blues Traveler, Third Eye Blind and some of the other entirely forgettable tripe they've trotted out to open for them in the last few years.

Date: January 31, 2006 18:59

after all the plastic surgery Niel had he is still in rough shape!!!
if i had all that time i would be doing yoga and working out everyday!!

Date: January 31, 2006 19:01

R Wrote:
> The 'Crue recorded their new DVD in my town last
> Spring. Because it was a DVD taping things got
> dragged out a bit but the first set was a hoot.
> However Vince Neil has lost his looks entirely
> which serves to amplify the fact that he cannot
> sing

It's interesting that while Vince doesn't ENUNCIATE words very clearly, he definitely conveys the "message" of the songs and is charismatic as far as fan inter-action, etc. The right frontman for this band.

and Mick Mars can barely walk having had both
> hips replaced apparently.

Mick's always had health problems. His guitar playing isn't affected one iota from what I can tell. Great grinding/slashing lead guitarist.

For the most part Nikki
> (apparently the brains behind the group) and Tommy
> carry the show.
>
> I think 60 minutes of Motley Crue would be a great
> way to start a Stones show. Surely better than
> John Mayer, Maroon 5, Spin Doctors, Blues
> Traveler, Third Eye Blind and some of the other
> entirely forgettable tripe they've trotted out to
> open for them in the last few years.

Date: January 31, 2006 19:03

Question for all the Crue-haters... are there ANY bands that started from the early 80's on and are still touring that you do like ?? Or does your taste tend towards more "classic" rock exclusively like Stones, Clapton, Dylan, Zeppelin era ??

You seem to dismiss all bands that started in the 80's as "hair bands", I assume you don't care for any bands from the 90's either... but looking foward to hearing if there are any bands from this 82-05 period that you do like and are still touring.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: January 31, 2006 19:17

yes. lets have Turbonegro please

more flash than the Crue, and with songs that don't suck donkey dick

Date: January 31, 2006 20:06

Hey Bayou to give you some things to attack, I think a lot of the records that have come out in the past few years are not only good, but are some of the best ever, i dont like "classic rock" with obvious exceptions (Dylan,Who,Stones,Stooges) how about the following PJ Harvey,Strokes,White Stripes,Will Oldham,Bad Seeds,Aimee Mann and many others.

Maybe you can see by my answer why I dont like garbage like Motley Crue i'm an "indie fag".Actually in general I prefer old black music anyway,Reggae,Temptations,Sly and a million others,much like our favourite band in fact, but Motley Crue erm.......I think not smiling smiley

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: January 31, 2006 20:13

No, thanks - John Mayer, Maroon 5, Spin Doctors, Blues Traveler, Third Eye Blind, Alanis Morisette and Joss Stone.

Yes, please - Metallica, Motley Crue, Beck and Pearl Jam plus other rockers.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: January 31, 2006 20:13

BornOnTheBayou Wrote:
> Question for all the Crue-haters... are there ANY
> bands that started from the early 80's on and are
> still touring that you do like ?? Or does your
> taste tend towards more "classic" rock exclusively
> like Stones, Clapton, Dylan, Zeppelin era ??
>
> You seem to dismiss all bands that started in the
> 80's as "hair bands", I assume you don't care for
> any bands from the 90's either... but looking
> foward to hearing if there are any bands from this
> 82-05 period that you do like and are still
> touring.
>
> "It's just that demon life has got me in it's
> sway..."

It's an interesting question. I think it IS important who the Stones ask to share the stage with them, as the opener falls into a tradition of BB King, Ike & Tina, Taj, Stevie Wonder, The Meters, Furry Lewis, etc...

Even through '89 (when Living Colour seemed to have such a bright future) the warm-ups were the Stones' way of gesturing toward underappreciated (and usually African-American) acts.

80's-present people who I could see warming up for the Stones now:

Paul Westerberg
"Youngblood" Hart
Ollabelle
The (reconstituted) Fabulous Thunderbirds or Kim Wilson or Jimmie Vaughn
The Dixie Chicks
Ryan Adams
Wilco
Robert Cray
Susan Tedeschi
The Derailers
Hot Club of Cowtown
Amos Lee
Son Volt
Beck

I know I'm forgetting many good candidates. I guess anyone who's rootsy and underexposed. Since the warm-up is almost never a significant draw at the gate and since most people wander in at the last moment, I don't see why they can't get a little more intimate and ecclectic with their choices.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: January 31, 2006 20:14

The fact that the choice of Motley Crue as an opener is greeted with such venom rather than the usual indifference means the Stones made the right choice. Seems they are compelling people to start posts about it every few days. To the whiners, stay home or in the parking lot until they are over, you wont be missed!

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: January 31, 2006 20:18

Wow, that's not fair! Chicago gets the crappiest opening bands of any tour I've ever seen and you get MC. I didn't see the Chicago opening acts because they were crap.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 31, 2006 20:22

I thought the idea was that the Stones, as a huge draw, would use the opener as an opportunity to turn their fans on to music they otherwise might not know. There are so many vibrant blues and r&b legends who could use the gig. Motley Crue is a ridiculous choice, as is Metallica. It's true, I would rather see either of them than Dave Matthew, John Mayer, Josh Grubman, or whoever, but that's not a good answer when there the acts that humanriff and Rev Robt W point out are available.

Date: January 31, 2006 20:41

cc Wrote:
> I thought the idea was that the Stones, as a huge
> draw, would use the opener as an opportunity to
> turn their fans on to music they otherwise might
> not know. There are so many vibrant blues and
> r&b legends who could use the gig. Motley Crue
> is a ridiculous choice, as is Metallica. It's
> true, I would rather see either of them than Dave
> Matthew, John Mayer, Josh Grubman, or whoever, but
> that's not a good answer when there the acts that
> humanriff and Rev Robt W point out are available.

The other side of that coin, of course, is that for the prices Stones fans are paying, we might expect to see a major band opening as opposed to some unknown. Let's face it, 90% of "unknown" bands will remain unknown.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: January 31, 2006 20:43

"Yes, please - Metallica, Motley Crue, Beck and Pearl Jam plus other rockers"

you have a VERY strange grasp of the term 'rockers' mate

Metallica - major league sellouts that haven't made a decent record since Cliff Died. a shameful bunch of turncoats

Crue - er, hair metal nobodies hoping for a spandex revival

Pearl Jam - terminally dull @#$%& with about the same 'rock' credentials as the red hot chili @#$%&

i really WANT the Crue to open in Barca now. two things will happen : they'll play to an empty stadium or one full of people rolling around on the pitch laughing their tits off at their cod-metal panto nonsense.

Date: January 31, 2006 20:44

anything but Dave Mathhews my friends!!!

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 31, 2006 20:46

Depends on where you're coming from, BotB. I think most major bands SUCK. That's how they become major bands. But you're probably right in that that's how Cohl & Co. are thinking.

Date: January 31, 2006 22:11

Lucinda Williams--about whom I have plenty of reservations--should be warming up for the Stones.

CJ Chenier should be warming up for the Stones. Or the Holmes Brothers. Or Robert Randolph and The Family Band. Or any number of acts signed to Fat Possum Records. Or the North Mississippi All-Stars. Chris Isaak is incredible on stage and makes music that pays tribute to the Stones' heroes.

I'm so glad that Merle Haggard and Toots & The Maytals and The Meters and Buddy Guy have been on recent shows.

By what definition is Motley Crue a "major" band? Or Bryan Adams? Or The Goo Goo Dolls?

I think people get tripped up by commercial success as opposed to enduring quality. Does anyone ever listen to Grand Funk Railroad anymore? They used to sell tickets/records like crazy--probably outsold the Stones by a mile in their day. What about Peter Frampton?

Just because a lot of Gen X clowns (of which I am one) are having a little nostalgic itch for the goofy metal of early puberty doesn't mean that the Stones should cheapen themselves by letting Tommy and Vince anywhere near the tour.

Date: January 31, 2006 22:25

Rev. Robert W. Wrote:

>
> Just because a lot of Gen X clowns (of which I am
> one) are having a little nostalgic itch for the
> goofy metal of early puberty doesn't mean that the
> Stones should cheapen themselves by letting Tommy
> and Vince anywhere near the tour.
>
>

At this point its absolutely impossible for the Stones to cheapen themselves. And this whole tour (and probably every tour since at least 1981) is all about scratching one big ass nostalgic itch.

Posted by: gut ()
Date: January 31, 2006 22:28

Motley Crue is an embarrassment to people in their 40's because they are shining examples of grown men with juvenile minds.

They play music for 15 year-old boys because they are musically and intellectually retarded to that age....plus Neil sings like a 15-year old boy who just discovered how to play with himself.

Pathetic.

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Date: January 31, 2006 22:36

Dan Wrote:

> At this point its absolutely impossible for the
> Stones to cheapen themselves. And this whole tour
> (and probably every tour since at least 1981) is
> all about scratching one big ass nostalgic itch.

Yeah, I struggle with that feeling sometimes. And there are moments when I think about why I should be at a Wilco show or an Emmylou Harris or, hell, a freaking Bob Dylan show for a fraction of the cost of what it takes to see the Stones.

But I was in a barroom late night just after Christmas when someone put on "Brown Sugar" and the place just erupted. That's a song that I wouldn't think I could ever have a reaction to at this point and I almost wept. Just to see and to feel the effect that even the most overplayed FM radio staple could have on a gang of people...

And then to be standing in MSG or the Fleet Center and feeling those guys just hammer the audience with that stuff. Those songs deserve to live--they define the term "timeless." And as long as the Stones can burn with them, then they do no damage to their legacy to perform 'em.

Date: January 31, 2006 22:59

Sounds like nostalgia to me. Not that there is anything wrong with that, its been the driving force behind the concert industry for decades. And legacy is an arbitrary term that probably means little to anyone but ex presidents.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: January 31, 2006 23:05

A pretty comprehensive list of opening acts up through '06 - they've had some pretty good ones over the last ten years:

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1559
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home