Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones' musical influences?
Posted by: skillzpetey ()
Date: February 4, 2006 05:06

IMO their main influences (as individuals) have been

Mick J= James Brown
Keith=Chuckster, Muddy, Jimmy Reed, Robert Johnson, Hank Williams
Brian=Howlin Wolf, Elmore James
Bill=Willie Dixon?
Charlie=Charlie Parker
MT=Albert King, Freddie King
Ronnie=(slide)Duane Allman, a little Chuck B, Hop Wilson
Stu=Johnnie Johnson

any other ideas?
this is of course just a start

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-04 06:28 by skillzpetey.

Re: Stones' musical influences?
Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: February 4, 2006 11:26

Jagger often said he was greatly influenced by Don Covay, especially for his falsetto. Their voices are in fact very similar, and there is even a track which is a great blind test for a stones fan, called "Hot Blood". I tricked a good number of fans saying that Jagger sung on that (great) track.

Stupid, I should have done the test and sent it! But I don't have it with me.

He also said, when criticized for the abundance of falsetto singing, that "Prince did three albums that way and nobody criticized him". I wouldn't be surprised if he actually dug Prince.

The Otis Redding influence is obvious in the early years, with all the covers and all the "gotta gotta" on Got Life If You Want It.

Jagger's moves: main influence is Brown in the sixties and seventies (he's ridiculously bad at it in the seventies) and... yes... Michael Jackson in 89-90. Just watch Tokyo 1990 or At the Max, his attempts at moving staccato like in break dance. He is horrible actually. Mick embarasses me when he applies these things which require actual proper dancing skills. But today he is his own self (as sorted out by his dance teacher) and he is great!

For Charlie, would be worth citing a drummer: and that would be Kenny Clarke, I guess. I don't think Charlie was influenced by any rock drummers, although of course he influenced so many.

In Bill's bass playing, in its use of syncopaes and in the way it does not stick to one line, I hear a great deal of Motown. In the documentary "Standing in the shadow of Motown, -who was the Motown bass player's name again?- the analysis on his style could be transferred piece by piece to Bill's.

Posted by: skillzpetey ()
Date: February 4, 2006 19:40

interesting about Covay, i've never heard that track. As for influences who each player sounds most like, its hard to say. Keith is easy when they play Berry(ish) tunes, but at times, for instance SFTD solo its kind of Buddy Guy bluesy. Bill has that swinging bass, but really, there arent many guitarists who sound like Woody or have MT's fluidity. Since Brian taught Mick to play harp, you could say he's an influence, but Brians style is much more flashy. The Stones as individuals are unique, and as a whole they are quite hard to sound like!

Date: February 4, 2006 19:47

Brian liked Robert Johnson as well, and in the Edith Grove days played along to the same blues records as Keith all day for something to do, so their influences were similar.

Mick Jagger was also influenced by Chuck Berry, because when he re-met Keith he was carrying 'One Dozen Berries' which made Keith talk to him.

Date: February 4, 2006 20:06

Stand In The Shadows Of Motown, the biography of bassist James Jamerson.

Great book

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: February 4, 2006 20:18

Bo Bo Bo Bo Bo.....................Diddley

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: February 4, 2006 20:26

RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS
MOTLEY CRUE

LOL!

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: February 4, 2006 20:34

Don't forget Gram Parsons.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1340
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home