Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Lisa F. -- Anyone Else Not Dig Her??
Posted by: rich-wdc ()
Date: January 29, 2006 18:34

My wife just told me that she's always disliked Lisa Fischer. (surprise to me after going w/ her to shows since '94!)

Wife says Lisa shouldn't be in the band; that she brings down the band; she does not bring what the intent of the vocal parts should be; she doesn't have the vocal presence the Stones need.

Anyone else share these feelings?

Re: Lisa F. -- Anyone Else Not Dig Her??
Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: January 29, 2006 18:44

No, I think her voice and style are consistent with my impression of a Stones back up singer. It works for me. You don't suppose she has some kind of issue with her being so good looking do you?

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: January 29, 2006 18:51

Lukester Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No, I think her voice and style are consistent
> with my impression of a Stones back up singer. It
> works for me. You don't suppose she has some kind
> of issue with her being so good looking do you?

Agreed. But lets also admit if Lisa looked like Rosie O'Donnel- we would probably not like her as much (although her singing skills wouls still be great).

Posted by: Pedro99 ()
Date: January 29, 2006 18:52

I definitely think Lisa does not bring down the band she only enhances it - see makes Gimme Shelter absolutely amazing.

Last night I watched the steel wheels pay per show from 1989 in it there was another woman who looked like Lisa singing with Lisa and Bernard does anybody know her name and what happened to her?

Also in the show Mick jagger played the guitar on about six songs which you don't see often in one concert.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 29, 2006 18:53

I'm not saying I dislike her - but I am saying that I don't look forward to her antics as a lead singer with the band. I realize she always gets a tremendous response for her vocalizations - but, to me, they are just a pure distraction from what I came to see/hear.

Date: January 29, 2006 18:55

Pedro99 Wrote:
> I definitely think Lisa does not bring down the
> band she only enhances it - see makes Gimme
> Shelter absolutely amazing.
>
> Last night I watched the steel wheels pay per show
> from 1989 in it there was another woman who looked
> like Lisa singing with Lisa and Bernard does
> anybody know her name and what happened to her?
>
> Also in the show Mick jagger played the guitar on
> about six songs which you don't see often in one
> concert.

Cindy Mizelle- don't know what happened to her.

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: January 29, 2006 19:03

I don't have anything against Lisa, but it would be mighty cool and sexy if she was to be replaced by the daughters of Mick and Keith. Theodora and Alexandra Richards would be able to accomplish a lot of hot moves that'd make the boys, men and dykes in the audience really excited and real horny. I wouldn't mind seeing Elizabeth Jagger dressed in a tight dress and a wet t-shirt showing of her nice cleveage.Ticket and beer sales would no doubt hit the roof if this was to happen.

Posted by: perosand ()
Date: January 29, 2006 19:15

I also think she leads Tumbling Dice to a higher level
in the refrain.
(and she's the only one I have liked to sleep with in the band!)
Perry

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 29, 2006 19:19

Rank Outsider Wrote:
> I don't have anything against Lisa, but it would
> be mighty cool and sexy if she was to be replaced
> by the daughters of Mick and Keith. Theodora and
> Alexandra Richards would be able to accomplish a
> lot of hot moves that'd make the boys, men and
> dykes in the audience really excited and real
> horny. I wouldn't mind seeing Elizabeth Jagger
> dressed in a tight dress and a wet t-shirt showing
> of her nice cleveage.Ticket and beer sales would
> no doubt hit the roof if this was to happen.

Elizabeth Jagger has a cleavage? Since when?

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 29, 2006 20:44

having any of their daughters up there would be a joke - i saw keith's youngest at STL and she was definitely still a kid. maybe elizabeth can sing some backups in mick's solo album but you may have noticed they're trying to model and sell clothes, not follow in their dads' footsteps...lisa blows them all out of the water - not many female singers can make the hair on my arms stand up!

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 29, 2006 20:56

Lisa (and Bernard) add a lot, not just on the obvious, belting out a roof raising "Night Time" or GS, but adding a backdrop of beautiful almost ghostly harmonies on "Place Is Empty." Or check the delicate soulful b.g. vocs on "How Can I Stop" rehearsed in "40 Licks". She, Bernard, & Blondie are all superb vocalists and part of the Stones' family, being on tours since '89, and time has led to a better integration of all the non-Stones up on stage. Finally, she's likely in her forties, has gained weight, looks beautiful but is not doing (or being asked to do) the sex pot image of the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tours.

Posted by: smilingsun ()
Date: January 29, 2006 20:56

Lisa is the best female vocalist to be on stage with the Stones. She couldn't be replaced. Not many have such voice, plus, she has to be good looking and sexy. She is, she's got the right temperament, she loves the Stones music (she loves Mick as wellsmiling smiley)... perfect.

StonesTod Wrote:
... just a pure distraction from what I came to see/hear.

LOLsmiling smiley I'm a girl, I don't love Lisa as much as some of you men here, but she's just great.
And her part on Gimme Shelter, it takes people's breath away every single time. Always one of the higlights of the show, the part everybody will remember - even the most casual "fans" who don't know a single Stones song... I dig Lisa all the way.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: January 29, 2006 20:58

I remember Leah Wood popping up to sing b/u vox on "Thief In The Night" on a bunch of the No Security shows.

Didn't Jonny Lang want to recruit Leah & Elizabeth to tour with him as his back-up singers? Mick killed that idea pretty quickly!

Posted by: melillo ()

shes cool, its just that her version of gimme shelter is getting a bit old
change it up for gods sake

perhaps it's just the fact that I am a raving homosexual, then, that keeps me from truly appreciating Lisa. Now with Bernard - well, now that's a VERY different story....

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: January 29, 2006 20:59

since i prefer the stripped down live Stones sound, i think i would enjoy her vocal talents more in the studio........but she is a sight to behold and is a great singer with an fantastic range

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: January 29, 2006 21:00

The perfect backing singer for this band. How many times has she lifted songs to a new level. Most obviously Gimme Shelter and on this tour, Night Time.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Posted by: smilingsun ()
Date: January 29, 2006 21:04

melillo Wrote:
> shes cool, its just that her version of gimme
> shelter is getting a bit old
> change it up for gods sake

LOLsmiling smiley For gods sake, how? "Her" version of Gimme Shelter? Should she change the words the boys wrote? Or should she sing it in a different way (i.e. not perfect?). I don't understand.

Posted by: Mickschick ()
Date: January 29, 2006 21:30

How can anyone not like LISA???

I think that the first posters wife is just a little green with envy! Come on! Lisa brings so much too a STONES SHOW! Really, what would it be like if she and Handsome Bernard, and crazy Blondie weren't there? They entered the band before the turn of the 21 century, enabling the Stones to once again recreate themselves. And that with the back up, Chuck and the Horn section (bobby & friends) they have made it something to behold, and something that other Rock n Roll bands should want to do for themselves, if they want to remain on top for over 43 years!

I mean come on, if they just had the three of them, do you really think that it would spike the energy that a STONES SHOW does? No they would have to become a tiny little touring act. And besides, how could they do what they do with just the three of them? Impossible...

I think that some people see the STONES in black and white, like they either are stuck in the sixties, and want Wyman back, or they think that the only time they were any good was when Mick Taylor was with them.

But see both Bill and Taylor have been Replaced by two EXCELLENT Members, Ronnie Wood, who is a STONE, and Darryl Jones. Now I don't know if he's offically a Stone, but in my heart, he is. Just as well as Bobby, Lisa, Bernard,and Blondie, and yes even CHUCK! They bring out the things in this band that makes them CONTINUE to be the worlds Greatest Rock N Roll band.

We have three founding Fathers and the rest of them are who the Fathers want there.
And Most fans Love the choices the Stones made. Most true fans are going to enjoy them no matter what. Other people just pick them apart and whine and complain how they don't like this or that.

All I can say is try to do what the Stones have done, and continue to do, if you can come close, then God Bless you. If not, (which is more than likely a not) then shut up and get out of the way!! Cause the Silver Train is gunna roll over your ass either way!!!
ROCK ON ROLLING STONES!!!!

Posted by: Mickschick ()
Date: January 29, 2006 21:41

Ok before I get reemed for a typo I ment entering into the twentyfirst century.

And before I get yelled at about Brian, I could continue to go on and on about that issue too. I wasn't ignoring him. So I hope I could close that gap.

Brian no longer is with the band because he made bad, unfortunate choices. It would be great if we could include him but it's not possible. So don't yell about the omission!
I respect Brian and its too bad he didn't stick around long enough to see what else he could have offered.

Date: January 29, 2006 21:43

the idea of dropping a professional and accomplished vocalist like Lisa Fischer and replacing her with two or three ordinary vocalists whose main qualification happens to be that they're related to members of the band isnt 'cool' and 'sexy', but absolutely preposterous and tacky.

This is the Rolling Stones. Not some cheesy "Rolling Stones and Family" revue. Leave that shit to Willie Nelson or the Beach Boys.

Posted by: SeNdEr ()
Date: January 29, 2006 21:44

Lisa is great, i love her voice, Gimme Shelter sounds awesome with her voice.

Date: January 29, 2006 21:45

StonesTod Wrote:
> perhaps it's just the fact that I am a raving
> homosexual, then, that keeps me from truly
> appreciating Lisa. Now with Bernard - well, now
> that's a VERY different story....

I wish you'd told me that before you decided we were sitting together at Wembley

How does your wife feel about all this?

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: January 29, 2006 21:45

great singer , beautiful woman , perfect for the band

Posted by: Some Girl ()
Date: January 29, 2006 21:49

I like how people think your wife is jealous of Lisa just because she doesn't like her-- mature.

I'd much rather Lisa and the other 2 weren't on stage. I dislike backing vocalists to no end, they and their choreographed moves are always cheesy and distracting. Lisa, while a great singer, doesn't make Gimme Shelter even close to the Merry Clayton original, so I generally don't enjoy them playing that song live.

The 3 backing vocalists all just remind me that Keith could be doing backup vocals like he used to, and all the "subsititute" vocals they do like the ooo-ooo-oo parts in Waiting On a Friend, which Mick does on the album, are even worse.

The horn section, on the other hand, has always been great to me-- songs like Rocks Off and Bitch are not the same without them, and the Stones have always featured horns heavily in their music (its pretty much like the fact that you can't just get rid of Chuck, with all the signature piano in Stones music).

That said, I actually enjoyed Night Time a LOT, and think that that is one of the few instances where she actually DOES enhance the show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-29 21:51 by Some Girl.

Date: January 29, 2006 21:52

Gazza Wrote:
> the idea of dropping a professional and
> accomplished vocalist like Lisa Fischer and
> replacing her with two or three ordinary vocalists
> whose main qualification happens to be that
> they're related to members of the band isnt 'cool'
> and 'sexy', but absolutely preposterous and
> tacky.
>
> This is the Rolling Stones. Not some cheesy
> "Rolling Stones and Family" revue. Leave that shit
> to Willie Nelson or the Beach Boys.

RIGHT ON>>>>>>Gazza!!!!

Hey Some Girl- better listen to Gimme Shelter on 4 Flicks. Merry Clayton can't touch that. (but Merry is GREAT no doubt about it). It would be nice to see Merry come back for a guest spot.

Posted by: Some Girl ()
Date: January 29, 2006 21:53

I don't care so much with what Merry Clayton can touch-- or reach. THe effect is not the same. Lisa shows off rather than freaks you out like Merry C. does, and I don't care for it.

Date: January 29, 2006 22:05

Ok Some Girl. I guess we just disagree on Lisa. Outside of maybe Bobby Keys, she is the most popular back-up/ support person that has been onstage in the last 16 years.

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Date: January 29, 2006 22:32

ok, folks - but be honest - if Lisa were to disappear from the act, how many of you would truly be upset?

Date: January 29, 2006 22:34

Gazza Wrote:
> StonesTod Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > perhaps it's just the fact that I am a
> raving
> > homosexual, then, that keeps me from truly
> > appreciating Lisa. Now with Bernard - well,
> now
> > that's a VERY different story....
>
>
> I wish you'd told me that before you decided we
> were sitting together at Wembley
>
> How does your wife feel about all this?

Sorry - this coming out of the closet stuff is done one continent at a time. I thought you understood reference to my "wife" was done in a euphomistic sorta way. And, I must have assumed you understood that all us folk in SFO are this way....

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1771
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home