Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

hello & thank you
Posted by: watts fan ()
Date: January 27, 2006 19:35

hello everyone -- I've lurked here for a while & finally registered today. I'm a long-time Stones fan from Pittsburgh, PA (USA). I just wanted to thank everyone for the great mp3s & discussion; I look forward to contributing to all of this great Stones talk.

Re: hello & thank you
Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: January 27, 2006 19:38

Welcome. Please don't say anything negative about anything or you will be banished from the island.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: January 27, 2006 19:38

welcome to the "Stones rubber room"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-27 19:39 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: January 27, 2006 19:40

Hey watts fan. I lurked for awhile too before finally joining several weeks ago. I've learned a lot from reading these comments. Welcome aboard. Oh yeah, thanks bv for making this happen.

Lukester from North Carolina

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: January 27, 2006 20:08

Welcome!

Go Seahawks!!!

Date: January 27, 2006 20:09

DaveG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Welcome!
>
> Go Seahawks!!!

You guys whooped up on us Panthers pretty badly. Good luck with them Steelers.

Posted by: monkeygripglue ()
Date: January 27, 2006 20:46

hey Lukester, where in NC are you...i am in NC as well...

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: January 27, 2006 20:51

Lukester, I am pretty surprised the Seahawks dominated the game the way they did. While I live in the Seattle area and am a Seahawk fan to some extent, I am somehow still loyal the to Rams. I grew up in LA and my dad was a Rams season ticket holder, from when they were in LA to Anaheim. But, yeah, the Seahawks played an almost perfect game last Sunday and deserve to be in the Super Bowl.

Date: January 27, 2006 20:52

monkeygripglue Wrote:
> hey Lukester, where in NC are you...i am in NC as
> well...

Whassuup Monkey Grip Glue???

I live in Boone in a log cabin in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I grew up in Raleigh, though. How about you?

Did you see the Stones in Charlotte in October?

I saw them in Atlanta and was too broke for the Charlotte show.

Date: January 27, 2006 20:54

i lived in boone in 88-89...originally from statesville and back here at the moment..it's about as fun here as eating a pencil.

i didnt see them in charlotte but i did attend the memphis show..

Date: January 27, 2006 21:06

monkeygripglue Wrote:
> i lived in boone in 88-89...originally from
> statesville and back here at the moment..it's
> about as fun here as eating a pencil.
>
> i didnt see them in charlotte but i did attend the
> memphis show..

No kidding. What a small world. Who knows,our paths may have crossed somewhere.

I think I'm getting hooked on this web site. Uh, thanks again bv. I got onto the site in September 2005 in anticipation of the Atlanta show, to see what the set lists were looking like. Since then I've enjoyed reading all about the other shows. I guess it's the next best thing to being there.

I saw the Stones in Charlotte in 97 and 99, in Clemson in 89, and in Nashville in 2002 (and of course Atlanta as I mentioned earlier). By most people's standards on this website, I guess you'd say I'm still a live show rookie.

Date: January 27, 2006 21:12

DaveG Wrote:
> Lukester, I am pretty surprised the Seahawks
> dominated the game the way they did. While I live
> in the Seattle area and am a Seahawk fan to some
> extent, I am somehow still loyal the to Rams. I
> grew up in LA and my dad was a Rams season ticket
> holder, from when they were in LA to Anaheim. But,
> yeah, the Seahawks played an almost perfect game
> last Sunday and deserve to be in the Super Bowl.

I was so disappointed. I've gone to a lot of the Panthers home games over the years (which was the sight of the Stones stadium show in 1997 in Charlotte). I was at a party Sunday night to watch the game and there was only one Seahawks fan (she was kind of obnoxious, actually). I was so sure we were going to win that I had a friend in Vegas bet $75 on the Panthers for me. Choke!!! Oh well,you guys deserve to go to the Super Bowl. Good talking to you.
Luke

Date: January 27, 2006 21:15

yeah it's really easy to stop work and see what everyone is saying on here...one day it's going to catch up with me...

the 1st show i saw was in raleigh in 1989..i was sorely disappointed after camping out for tickets only to find that all of the good seats were already spoken for before tickets went on sale...nosebleed city...i hated the opening band, living colour and the stones were just not that great and i didnt really dig steel wheels...like i said earlier, hot rocks with crowd noise...after that i was fortunate to catch them in nyc and later in memphis..

i'm always glad to see them...always happy that they are still alive...but not so happy with the way the true fans get jerked around and looked over so the masses or the rich business guys who don't give a shit about the rolling stones can be happy and sit in the front row listening to the hits and sipping 7 dollar miller lites...maybe the rolling tones should take a lesson from those fools KISS and do some shows or an album strictly for their fans..they can afford it and it would be appreciated.

Date: January 27, 2006 21:31

I hear you Monkey Grip!! I too am frustrated by the pandering to corporate America. Incidentally, I saw a killer Who show there in Raleigh I think the summer of 1988. A friend worked the Ticketmaster telephone magic and got seats for us on the 13th row. By magic, he called the very moment tickets went on sale to some outlet out of state where the demand for a show in Raleigh was nonexistent, I'm not really sure how that works, but it's all a moot point today. You've got your corporate give aways, yaddah, yaddah, yaddah.
Oh yeah, I saw Pink Floyd there too.

Date: January 27, 2006 21:33

hey you werent at that mick taylor show in charlotte in 1988 were you?? it was at this awful pick-up joint called 'plum crazy's"!!! me and my buddy drove down on a school night and the turnout was horrible but he was great...i will never forget that show or look on my mom's face when i walked in at 6 am on a school morning.

Date: January 27, 2006 21:39

monkeygripglue Wrote:
> hey you werent at that mick taylor show in
> charlotte in 1988 were you?? it was at this awful
> pick-up joint called 'plum crazy's"!!! me and my
> buddy drove down on a school night and the turnout
> was horrible but he was great...i will never
> forget that show or look on my mom's face when i
> walked in at 6 am on a school morning.

That is hilarious Monkey Grip. No, I don't remember ever hearing about that show. I have heard of Plum Crazy's, though. I take it your Mom wasn't a big Mick Taylor fan? So did he play any Stones tunes? Did you get drunk and puke in the parking lot? How much of a band did he have with him?

Date: January 27, 2006 21:45

hahaha actually my mom thinks out of all of them that he was the most normal looking...but she gets that from the promo for it's only rock and roll...she always asks why that smiling kid is hanging out with those 'old drunks'..the main thing she was pissed about was i was 17 with a fake ID..

he didnt play any stones songs...just some blues numbers and 'giddy-up' & "slow blues" from his 1st solo lp..

i met him and he was cordial once i mentioned his solo record...he was wearing sandals with socks and a little shorter than i imagined..he signed something for me and then i left...it was worth the trouble.

Date: January 27, 2006 21:46

Lukester Wrote:
> DaveG Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Welcome!
> >
> > Go Seahawks!!!
>
>
> You guys whooped up on us Panthers pretty badly.
> Good luck with them Steelers.

and you guys whupped up on our Bears. Thanks for ruining our season! Curse you Steve Smith!!!!!!!

Date: January 27, 2006 21:54

Hey J J Flash,

I remembered reading that you were a Bears fan. You guys sure did shut us down in November, though.

So, did you go to both shows this week? I see you got your Memory Motel request. I saw that song in Charlotte in 99 and loved it. I see that you wanted Sway, too. For me Moonlight Mile or Dead Flowers would just put me over the edge. (That means I'd like it).

Date: January 27, 2006 21:59

yeah, I was by the rail of the "b" stage both nights. Got some pretty decent pictures, too.

Date: January 27, 2006 22:27

J.J.Flash Wrote:
> yeah, I was by the rail of the "b" stage both
> nights. Got some pretty decent pictures, too.

That's cool. I've been wondering do you ever hear of security confiscating cameras or recording devices at Stones shows?. I'm assuming they are not allowed at the shows. Is it something that the Stones and their security really don't care about or is it still very strict and people on this website, such as yourself, are just very crafty at sneaking some photos or video?

And out of curiosity, how much did you have to pay for the tickets, $450 plus service charges?

In Atlanta I got a single cheap seat, about $190 including service charges (actually it was a free gift, but that's what it would've cost had I paid for it), then after Start Me Up, I started me down...stairs, that is and finally found an unattended empty seat near the floor. I was lucky.

Date: January 27, 2006 23:12

to Monkeygripglue and Lukester, hello from a fellow NC'er, in Charlotte. I saw the show here 10/21, it was not great, they were OK...glad I got to see 'em. it didn't suck it just was kind of over-managed...
DR
ps Charlie was great

Date: January 27, 2006 23:18

Lukester Wrote:
> J.J.Flash Wrote:
> -----
> > yeah, I was by the rail of the "b" stage
> both
> > nights. Got some pretty decent pictures,
> too.
>
>
> That's cool. I've been wondering do you ever hear
> of security confiscating cameras or recording
> devices at Stones shows?. I'm assuming they are
> not allowed at the shows. Is it something that the
> Stones and their security really don't care about
> or is it still very strict and people on this
> website, such as yourself, are just very crafty at
> sneaking some photos or video?
>
> And out of curiosity, how much did you have to pay
> for the tickets, $450 plus service charges?
>
> In Atlanta I got a single cheap seat, about $190
> including service charges (actually it was a free
> gift, but that's what it would've cost had I paid
> for it), then after Start Me Up, I started me
> down...stairs, that is and finally found an
> unattended empty seat near the floor. I was lucky.

Paid $160 both nights. After you get a camera in, I saw tons of people snappin' and noone confiscating.

Date: January 27, 2006 23:22

Dillard Richardson Wrote:
> to Monkeygripglue and Lukester, hello from a
> fellow NC'er, in Charlotte. I saw the show here
> 10/21, it was not great, they were OK...glad I got
> to see 'em. it didn't suck it just was kind of
> over-managed...
> DR
> ps Charlie was great

Whassupp Dillard?

You going to see Aerosmith and Lenny Kravitz? Or has that already happened?
I hear that Bobcat Arena is nice. So was this your first Stones experience? By "over managed" did it seem a little too polished?

Date: January 27, 2006 23:26

J.J.Flash Wrote:
>
> -----
> > J.J.Flash Wrote:
> >
>
>
> Paid $160 both nights. After you get a camera in,
> I saw tons of people snappin' and noone
> confiscating.

Thanks JJ. To be on the rail at the B stage, I guess you just slid past security or did you actually get a seat there for $160?

Date: January 27, 2006 23:32

Yep, had a seat in sec 7 right behind b stage.

Date: January 27, 2006 23:37

yeah the Kravitz/Aerosmith show was a few days back...didn't see it, but I heard from a Kravitz fan that it was really good.
ya know I'd have to say the Bobcats Arena is really just another basketball joint, its well built I reckon, but I was disappointed with the steep incline of the middle section where our seats were. I agree 100% about the damn suits get all the great tix, which cost too much...our tix were 160.00 each ..I thought they'd be better.
Naw, I've seen the Stones going back to '75...the best Stones show I've ever seen was the one in Charlotte in '99, on the no security tour. also saw them in Atlanta in '02, on the Licks tour, that was great too. by comparison, this recent one was lacking. But still glad I saw them.
DR

Date: January 27, 2006 23:49

Yeah, I loved that Charlotte 99 show too. I remember being blown away to see Keith do "You Got The Silver." I always liked that little nugget. I also remember Mick was going through a divorce with Jerry Hall at the time and on the song Respectable, he changed the lyrics slightly to say, "Go f*** my wife..." My seats were excellent, again I had a free ticket. Funny story, I went with my (now ex) wife's sister.

A good friend of mine saw them in Myrtle Beach in 1981. How cool would that have been? Small venue. I think he said Mick came out and sang with Peter Tosh (the opening act) on that song they had together called, "Walk But Don't Look Back."

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 28, 2006 12:33

Always nice with some new faces in the block.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1704
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home