Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Man Who Fell To Earth
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 3, 2006 03:59

Hello. (I guess VERY few are going to read this thread, so thank you if you do!)
I spent this evening watching "The Man Who Fell To Earth" starring David Bowie, from 1976.
Anyway, after about 90 minutes you can see a glimpse of a cocaine-sniffing guy, who is a part of "@#$%& Blues". I was shocked. Perhaps I'm the first in the world to mention this.
By the way, its a great movie, but not by "usual" standards. Mick Taylor and Phillips plays "Hello Mary Lou" on the soundtrack.
Here is a picture (on the bottom) of this guy, whom I dont know his name :

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-03 04:12 by Erik_Snow.

Re: OT: The Man Who Fell To Earth
Date: January 3, 2006 04:09

Damn it! The picture is the backside of "Juiced Up And Sloppy" (coast to coast).
Here is the address:
[www.ilovemickjagger.net]

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: January 3, 2006 04:21

Hey, I think that's the writer, Terry Southern, who wrote the movie Candy. He's got some other stones connection too, aside from being friends with Keith. Hey may have written a Stones book, or maybe it was just an article. I believe he co-wrote the text with Keith for the photo book The Rolling Stones, The Earlier Years. Off the top of my head, might be called something else, not sure.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: January 3, 2006 04:22

I saw this movie back around 1980. I was only 15 or so, and it didn't make much sense to me then, also wasn't a Bowie fan back then either. You think it's worth a re-watch?

Is there any other Bowie music in it?

Date: January 3, 2006 04:51

Hi Cindy!
Thanks for reading:-) Is it your web-page I nicked the picture from?
No, there's no Bowie-music.
It's a very strange movie, and it is worth a re-watch. BUT it's a bit too long, over 2 hours. And it's so strange that you get more pleasure of it if you have some wine while watching it. It's facinating to see Bowie. He's ultra-thin, and very wierd.
The story isn't what makes the movie great, it's the scenes. For instance when a very pretty, thin girl, have to carry Bowie from the elovator to his hotel-room. And when Bowie take off his human-body, and shows himself as an ailien. If it wasn't for Bowie, it wouldn't be good. But don't get me wrong, it's not a bad movie like "Performance", "Ned Kelly" or Dylan's "Hearts Of Fire".
Conculsion: Buy a redwine, and watch it, it's worth it.
Erik.

Date: January 3, 2006 05:01

Hi Erik,

Nope, not my webpage. I don't actually have one.

Bowie was pretty freaky then, I do remember that. Probably kept me from getting into his music for a long time after that. He was perfect for that part though, he really didn't look human back then.

Also, thanks for the book suggestion. I'll check it out next time I go to the library.

Cindy

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: January 3, 2006 07:12

I saw the movie for the first time last yr. i really enjoyed it. maybe it's b/c i'm such a big Bowie fan though.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 3, 2006 10:33

>> Hey, I think that's the writer, Terry Southern, who wrote the movie Candy. He's got some other Stones connection too,
aside from being friends with Keith. Hey may have written a Stones book, or maybe it was just an article. <<

according to Robert Greenfiel, Terry Southern got kicked off the 72 tour more or less for imagining he was great friends with Keith.
but he clearly got back in the Stones' good graces pretty quick, since he wrote the text of that 75 tour book with the Annie Leibowitz & Christopher Simon Sykes photos.
as for The Early Stones, i found maybe a page and a half in it that sounds like Keith might have written it, but ... oh well, he plainly agreed to have his name on it.

but i digress. :E
i've never really been much of a Bowie fan, but since i share a birthday with him (and Elvis!) i have a sense of camaraderie with the cat, so i went to see the Man Who Fell to Earth when it first came out. there are indeed some very striking scenes in it that i recall real vividly without actually remembering the film as a whole at all.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-03 10:37 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: January 3, 2006 13:22

"it's not a bad movie like "Performance", "Ned Kelly" or Dylan's "Hearts Of Fire"."
Hey Erik, don't lump in 'Performance' with 'Ned Kelly' or the dire 'Hearts Of Fire', it's an excellent film or "a sense-shattering materpiece" as Radio Times just called it (it was on in the UK last night). All of Roeg's 70's movies are great including 'Man Who Fell To Eath' though I would concede it is more flawed than the others & as you say a bit overlong.

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: January 3, 2006 13:41

Last year I picked up a 2DVD version of this movie,it does come out with some extras. I have also extracted the musical part of Soundtrack onto cdr because I am a Taylor fan and the Original Soundtrack hasn't been released.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 3, 2006 13:53

Terry Southern was indeed in "man who fell to earth" in an uncredited role, according to www.imdb.com

[www.imdb.com]

I'm almost outraged at 'Performance' being compared to crap like Ned Kelly or Hearts of Fire! Its a superb film. The Man Who Fell To Earth is pretty good too. Cammell did a great job on both of them...

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: January 3, 2006 14:14

Right on Gazza except that Cammell wasn't involved in Man Who Fell To Earth.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 3, 2006 14:17

my typo..I meant Nicholas Roeg, who of course directed both.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-03 14:20 by Gazza.

Date: January 3, 2006 16:36

OK, OK. I'll have to watch "Performance" again.

Posted by: barcelona ()
Date: January 3, 2006 16:38

Thin white duke rules!!

Date: January 21, 2006 01:52

Just wanted to say: I'm sorry! "Performance" is very good! I haven't seen it in 10 years, but I saw it yesterday.
Keep rocking!

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: January 21, 2006 01:55

can anyone explain to me what the heck the movie is about?? i saw it and what the ???????

Date: January 21, 2006 01:57

Which of the movies?

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: January 21, 2006 01:59

tmwf2e

Date: January 21, 2006 02:04

David Bowie is an aileen, and he comes to the earth, and start a business to make money. He want to build a spacecraft to go back to the planet he came from. He needs water to live. Anyway, he uses his knowledge from his own planet to make a revolution within photography.
But, people discovers that he is an aileen, so they lock him up and do experiments on him. He can't never go back after the doctors ruins his eyes. But he escapes. And the story ends, but he is doomed to live on our planet. That's a brief sum-up, hope you liked it.
Erik.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: January 22, 2006 18:11

Erik_Snow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> David Bowie is an aileen, and he comes to the
> earth, and start a business to make money. He want
> to build a spacecraft to go back to the planet he
> came from. He needs water to live. Anyway, he uses
> his knowledge from his own planet to make a
> revolution within photography.
> But, people discovers that he is an aileen, so
> they lock him up and do experiments on him. He
> can't never go back after the doctors ruins his
> eyes. But he escapes. And the story ends, but he
> is doomed to live on our planet. That's a brief
> sum-up, hope you liked it.
> Erik.

I also need water to live. Especially after last night. Ouch, my head. And I'm also doomed to live on this planet. I think I'd better watch this movie, it sounds pretty good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1696
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home