Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT "Pulp"
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 16, 2006 14:32

I have a Q to the British posters. What was it like in UK with the band Pulp? They were never big in the USA and I am listening to them at this moment. They are so...expansive. they remind me of Starsailor.
I do realize this is a big day in Stonesworld because of that seminal show last night. I think the Stones have raised the bar on themselves now. They are going to have to kepp it coming!

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Re: OT "Pulp"
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: January 16, 2006 14:46

Jarvis Cocker's Sheffield collective, were pretty huge, during the whole Brit Pop phenomenon of the mid/late 90's.
The hit single, "Common People" ,catapulted them into the big time- they were always on the fringe and a little bit underground, before then.

Jarvis Cocker became a household name, during this period, when he invaded the stage, during Michael Jackson's ridiculous performance of "Earth Song" at The Brits. He bared his bum, much to the amusement of everyone- but got himself a night in the cells , for his troubles!
Since the late 90's Pulp's popularity/sales have dwindled a bit-
i saw (which i think, i'm correct in saying) their last live show- at The Reading Festival, in 2002. They're still on hiatus, as far as i'm aware.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 18, 2006 16:51

As Adrian-L said, they were pretty big during the Brit-Pop years. They've actually been around since the early 80's and even did a radio session with John Peel back then.

I'm a little confused by your Starsailor comparison. The stuff Pulp released during their peak is VERY different to the winning and winging of Starsailor!

Oasis and Blur to one side, Pulp are probably my favourite group from that mid-90's period. There two albums from that era, His 'n Hers and Different Class are essential in my opinion.

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: January 18, 2006 18:59

thanks to the original poster, i dug out my copy of Different Class and played it thru - hadn't heard it in yonks, and it's still great!!!

Date: January 18, 2006 19:19

textmonkey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thanks to the original poster, i dug out my copy
> of Different Class and played it thru - hadn't
> heard it in yonks, and it's still great!!!

And there isn't a bad song on it!

When you think about it, there isn't really that many records you can say that about. Everyone of those tracks could've been a single.

My favourite Pulp song is Do You Remember The First Time.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: January 18, 2006 19:23

Pulp were pretty big in the UK, they got to filling arenas for example

they did an AMAZING headline show at Glastonbury when someone else pulled out (if i remember correctly) and that took em onto another level

they had some great albums, and packed up before they went shit

if only more bands would do the same!

ps : please don't compare em to the eternally dull starsailor

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 18, 2006 19:23

Adrian-L Wrote:

>
> Jarvis Cocker became a household name, during
> this period, when he invaded the stage, during
> Michael Jackson's ridiculous performance of "Earth
> Song" at The Brits. He bared his bum, much to the
> amusement of everyone- but got himself a night in
> the cells , for his troubles!

And that's the only reason why he will be remembered. Because if he hadn't done that, Pulp would be recognised as a one-hit-wonder.

At least that's the impression I have (I'm not from Britain... I'm a Belgian).

I followed the britpopscene pretty close and to me they were just another band.
Oasis, Primal Scream, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Charlatans were the really great bands IMHO. Blur ofcourse was also huge and important, but I never liked 'em very much (but they have some terrific songs).

Date: January 18, 2006 19:43

BowieStone Wrote:
>
> And that's the only reason why he will be
> remembered. Because if he hadn't done that, Pulp
> would be recognised as a one-hit-wonder.
>
> - BowieStone

I don't entirely disagree with your statement, certainly, Cocker’s antics at the Brit Awards gave them much publicity, but all the singles released from A Different Class were big hits in the UK. Common People, Disco 2000, Miss-shapes and Something Changed. I think a couple of the tracks from the follow up, This Is Hardcore were minor hits, but Pulp the successful chart band pretty much started and ended with those singles above.

BowieStone, I'm glad to read that you like The Stone Roses. Their debut has to be in my top ten albums of all time.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 19, 2006 19:16

I didn't pay that much attention to Pulp for a while because, to be honest I was throwing them in with Blur, Bush and Boo and bash...etc there were all these Bing Bang bands for a while LOL. But Pulp I have been digging on.
Sorry to Big Al and Andy Js abotu the ref to Starsailor. There is another band I have not heard enough of. I had heard that they were supposed to be pretty good. So I was listening to a tune called "Silence is Easy" which I really dug. And after hearing "Common People" by Pulp they reminded me of each other.
Often bands will remind me of each other, even if they don't sound at all alike. It's just the feeling they are trying to communicate that seems to be the same. Like those two songs sound real excited and like someone is trying to tell you something that they just have discovered.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: January 19, 2006 23:41

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> .
> Sorry to Big Al and Andy Js abotu the ref to
> Starsailor.

I wasn’t offended! I must admit though, this Starsailor song must be pretty different from their other stuff if it sounds like Common People!

Starsailor are a band I could never like. They opened for the Stones at the first Twickenham show in 03. They were terrible. Maybe they'd have been better if I could've heard them, but they are not my bag at all.

Keep listening to Pulp. They're a very underrated band.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: January 20, 2006 00:09

His N Hers is the best Pulp album (IMO)

buy that, burn starsailor and the world will be a happier place yawning smiley)

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: January 20, 2006 10:45

andy js Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------
>
> they did an AMAZING headline show at Glastonbury
> when someone else pulled out (if i remember
> correctly) and that took em onto another level.
>

From NME.COM:- Pulp at Glastonbury, 1995

It was probably the moment that they had been waiting for since Jarvis first waggled a spindly finger from a stage at the beginning of the '80s. It was the year that Britpop finally exploded into the nation's consciousness, so it was perhaps apposite that The Stone Roses, a waning star, would give Pulp the chance to help define that moment.

It could have all been so different - the in-decline Roses were due to headline the Saturday night, before John Squire broke his arm on holiday a fortnight before the gig. Pulp were the 11th-hour replacements, and it proved their finest hour. 'Sorted For E's And Wizz' was played for the first time and was perfect, but it was when 'Common People' exploded on that main stage that everyone released quite how much they loved them. Serendipity at its most exciting.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 20, 2006 12:00

Big Al Wrote:

>
> BowieStone, I'm glad to read that you like The
> Stone Roses. Their debut has to be in my top ten
> albums of all time.
>

That's a classic, no doubt about it. But I always thing it could have been better if they hired another producer. I don't like the sound of the album very much. Bu the songs make up for that. Brilliant songs and one of the best albums of the last 20 years.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2255
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home