Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Thief in the Night
Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: January 9, 2006 05:09

Wow what a great track! This is differnt for the Stones...Anyone know anything about it?

Re: Thief in the Night
Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: January 9, 2006 06:43

A real cool and romantic gem...from the note under the pillow to where he's he'll "soften the blow..."

Only Keith Richards can do that song...

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: January 9, 2006 06:46

A masterpiece on a masterpiece album. I would pay good $$$ to hear the Stones do this album live in its entirety. I love this album. Def my fave since Some Girls. The live version of this track on No Security is great. What a great album.

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: January 12, 2006 01:56

The two Keith ballads are my fave on Bridges. Don't care for too much else except Lowdown and Too Tight.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 12, 2006 01:58

Much like Infamy it's more a groove than a song - more typical of his solo album songs than RS songs. I dig it, though - always came across very well live, too.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 12, 2006 01:59

I completely agree Chas. But I must say that "Saint Of Me" and "Out Of Control" works great in concert.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: January 12, 2006 02:08

"I'm gonna steal what's mine..." what a great little slice of contradiction.

Pairing "Thief" with "How Can I Stop" to close out "Bridges" is possibly the best idea that Don Was has had in his role as a producer to the Stones.

A stunning climax to their best album since '81--a title unchallenged by "ABB."

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: January 12, 2006 02:19

Yeah, OOC is better live--more improvisation. The studio version fades out too early. But the chorus still bugs me.

Posted by: stonesctl ()
Date: January 12, 2006 02:56

love this song... album is solid too... at least half of it is solid anyway

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 12, 2006 09:03

Glad that others here think highly of Babylon. I too think it is by far the best album of the later years.
The ending of Thief and How Can I Stop is so great, I don't even know what to say. Thief was based on a riff by Keith's guitar tech who also plays on tyhe song. There is something arabic sounding about that riff.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: January 12, 2006 15:12

In a spanish paper interview (El Pais), Charlie said it was his favourite stones song.

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: January 12, 2006 18:06

I must admit when I bought it I listened to it once and got rid of it. Last week I bought it again and I've found about half the album to have great songs!

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: January 13, 2006 02:30

I agree wholeheartedly!

It took a few months,way back in '97,to warm to the Babylon opus,but,I sure did,and,still love it today. 'Lowdown',the excellent 'GunFace',the groovy 'Might as Well Get Juiced','Saint of Me','Flip the switch',Keef's endearing & reggaefied 'You don't have to mean it'..all favourites.

Some reviewers praised it to high heaven,and Bockris' Keef bio refers to it as a work of dark art -- it's something special indeed.

Dark,atmospheric,moody & magnificent. One or two tracks that don't quite gel,but,on the whole,from Mick's wonderful vocals and phrasing(okay,maybe just a wee bit too enunciated in places^^),to the raw guitars and even to the modernist touches and dalliances with hip-hop & beats,the stones sounded hungry again.

Just a damn fine album IMO!

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: January 13, 2006 02:41

Don't care for this at all Oh well MEZ

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 13, 2006 12:15

i love thief,
dont know what it it, some mystic
the bakcupsinging is very special,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1369
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home