Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Any Nico fans here? Post-VU
Date: December 11, 2005 01:20

Chelsea Girl
The End
Desert Shore
The Marble Index

Re: OT: Any Nico fans here? Post-VU
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: December 11, 2005 01:31

Good friend of mine broke the security in Copenhagen
and spend the night with here, smokin pot & talkin Jimbo Morrison
& old times... It was in 85. I saw here one or two years efter that.

She is sadly sadly missed.

Date: December 11, 2005 01:37

Yeah, those albums really got me through one cold, cold winter some years ago. I've never been quite touched that way by any other music. Very soul stirring. I am glad someone saw fit to create and share such beauty with the rest of the world. She is missed indeed.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 11, 2005 02:16

I only have Marble Index, I think. One of the weirdest and scariest albums I know. cale does great work producing and arranging, but it's nico's sound and vision. There's an excellent, if chaotic nico show from '74 on dimeadozen right now, with cale and brian eno playing as well, a few of cale's mellower tunes to settle the crowd, then more of nico's. I think "Frozen Warnings" is my favorite song of hers. Also "It Was a Pleasure Then" on the VU box. Beautiful stuff.

Sat behind lou reed in a movie theater last weekend.

cc

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: December 11, 2005 02:17

Yeah!!!!

Posted by: woemansland ()
Date: December 12, 2005 16:47

POST CANCELLED

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-17 23:33 by woemansland.

Posted by: maurizio ()
Date: December 12, 2005 16:57

love her

Posted by: cosmoprim ()
Date: December 12, 2005 20:48

God bless Fraulein Paffgen.
Just a great voice (and a gorgeous broad in her day) and a fractured kind of poetry to her lyrics that only a non native speaker could have.

If you haven't already, check out "The End" by James Young - perhaps the best music literature I've ever read. It's all about one of Nico's last tours.

Also, "Nico: Life & Lies of an Icon" is quite a good bio and if you haven't seen Nico:Icon the documentary film from 10 years ago, try and get your hands on it.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: December 12, 2005 23:06

YES, I have all the official solo albums, too
Chelsea Girl ('67)- which has her folk inclinations plus VU dissonance & songwriting input
The Marble Index ('68, Sundazed just issued a great sounding vinyl edition) Desertshore ('70) what a great title
The End...('74) like M.I. & Desertshore, produced/arranged by John Cale, this also features amazing contributions by Roxy Music's Eno & Phil Manzanera...
Drama Of Exile ('81) Nico's weakest, w/ misguided production
Camara Obscura ('85) A return to form, thanks to production by her greatest collaborator John Cale. All this stuff is unique, haunting - a rock original!
Then there's her 1965 Immediate single, one side produced/written by Jimmy Page, & which may or may not have Brian Jones on guitar on one track. Brian brought Nico to Montery (Stones connection). She f***ed a 16 or 17 year old Jackson Brown, Jim Morrison, Iggy Pop, Alan Delon
I had the opportunity to meet her briefly when a friend interviewed her during the early '80s - she was very strung out & asked him for $20.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: December 13, 2005 01:15

The best female vocalist of all time.

The later stuff is very patchy but good in places eg Saeta/Vegas but apart from the 2 songs on the first Velvets album it is the first 4 albums that are the real deal. Chelsea Girl is a strange transitional album that still has some quaint pop/folk material alongside the disturbing & bleak newer stuff. The Marble Index is her masterpiece IMO especially the harrowing & deranged Evening Of Light and the chilling And No One Is There. Run a close second by the next album Desertshore. There exists great BBC footage of her doing 2 songs from this incl the fantastic Janitor Of Lunacy (rare outtakes from 'Disco 2') by the way. The last classic album is The End which has the same rich vein of haunting melancholy running throughout. The production is a lot busier but there are some great atmospheric touches.

Saw her live 4 times and each time was a truly dramatic event.

I met her twice. I found her presence a little frightening at first but I think this was all a pose really. What the hell did she cycle out in the midday sun in Ibiza, swathed head to toe in black for?!

Date: December 13, 2005 01:49

Think she does 3 songs on VU & Nico: "FF," "ATP," and "I'll Be Your Mirror."

cc

Posted by: cosmoprim ()
Date: December 13, 2005 20:04

Janitor Of Lunacy is allegedly about Brian Jones.

Date: December 14, 2005 04:02

Interesting... thanks, cosmo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1276
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home