Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

2 cover tunes in Memphis.....why?
Date: December 4, 2005 18:28

Not a complaint, but rather a thought.

In the 3 shows I've seen, Night Time was played each time. Would have liked to have seen Mr. Pitiful in its place once.

Last night, the Stones played both. An interesting move, however this bumped another new song or something else from the Stones collection of music.

The Stones have been in business for quite some time and yet they dedicate 10% of their show last night in Memphis to cover tunes? Any ideas why this happened?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-04 18:42 by Splattered, All Over Manhattan.

Re: 2 cover tunes in Memphis.....why?
Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: December 4, 2005 18:55

Splattered, All Over Manhattan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not a complaint, but rather a thought.
>
> Any ideas why
> this happened?
>

My thinking was that Mr Pitiful acknowledged the soul tradition of Memphis, with Otis recording on Stax records. And Night Time was also part of that acknowledgement, less so but still. Further, Night Time works so well as a song, I think it's just something that they don't want to pull out. There was a moment last night at the end of Lisa's section where Mick comes back into the mix and he was just roaring out the song, amazing. So to me it's a great opportunity to show off the flexibility of the band with a song that lets a lot of different parts shine: Lisa, Mick, horns, and Charlie . . . Charlie kills on this one.

Regarding how covers fit with their setlist and an historical context, I find that they're almost a return to the beginnings of the band. Before they were the World's Greatest Rock'n'roll band they were the world's greatest cover band, and doing covers to me is like a return to the early albums and inspirational artists that helped shaped their greatness.

As well, it was the right move for Memphis, the crowd loved them both.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 4, 2005 19:56

Splattered, All Over Manhattan Wrote:

>
> The Stones have been in business for quite some
> time and yet they dedicate 10% of their show last
> night in Memphis to cover tunes? Any ideas why
> this happened?

no complaints from me if they did. Those two songs have been the highlight of the tour for me. A real breath of fresh air...

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: December 4, 2005 21:53

Gazza Wrote:
> Splattered, All Over Manhattan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> >
> > The Stones have been in business for quite
> some
> > time and yet they dedicate 10% of their show
> last
> > night in Memphis to cover tunes? Any ideas
> why
> > this happened?
>
>
> no complaints from me if they did. Those two songs
> have been the highlight of the tour for me. A real
> breath of fresh air...
>

Of all the great live numbers I've seen the Stones do, never seen anything better than Night Time live in concert with Buddy Guy at the Milwaukee gig. Way over the top and then some.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: December 4, 2005 23:32

For sure these two tunes really spoke to the musical roots of Memphis-IMO. Night time especially. What an electric tune-one of the highlights for me in Memphis.

Posted by: Pserchia ()
Date: December 5, 2005 01:47

I enjoy the covers selected by the band. It gives us a chance to see the band behaving as music fans just like the rest of us.

Memphis was lucky to get Night Time and Mr. Pitiful back-to-back; at the three L.A. shows, we got Night Time each time, and didn't get to hear Mr. Pitiful at all. It would be interesting to see Get Up Stand Up show up again.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 5, 2005 01:55

i'm with camper's assessment. i'm glad they seemed to have not completely dismissed Pitiful (had been several weeks since it was last heard). i think it ranks as one of their better covers in recent tours. having said that, i can certainly understand anyonen who might have been disappointed that they got 1 less Stones song (probably a Bitch or Rocks Off in that slot).

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 5, 2005 02:26

Memphis completed my pt. 1 on the road. I got Mr Pitiful at the Phoenix club show in Toronto, and I have had the pleasure to see the songs develope during the tour. They have taken different directions, and it was great to see these two great songs meeting up "back to back" last night.

By now I can tell what song is coming next at the show. More or less. Not because they are on cruise control, but because the songs work so well. Night Time has earned it's position number 9 in the set list over the months. It is so powerful crowd wise that it is a bit scary. First Lisa is hijacking the crowd with her tremendous vocal part. Then Mick - inspired by Lisa's outstanding performance - works hard to top it - and succeed. If you ever saw Mick doing "That's How Strong My Love Is" during Licks - that is how he is sealing off Night Time. So it has to be in position 9 - Mick is all gone after that, and leaves the stage to Keith.

Mr Pitiful is more exotic. I have seen it live a few times but it is not as strong crowd wise as NT. But in a place as Memphis right on Beale street they get full payback on their song selection - which is a proof of their concept.

Night Time will stay on the tour. All across the world. It has grown to a mega-song a la Gimme Shelter, even if it is not their own. But they built their career on cover songs so that is fine with me. Mr Pitiful will be played as often you all scream to get it. It's all up to you - and me - the crowd.

Bjornulf

Date: December 5, 2005 04:24

They're great & I know all about the old days but,I find it very frustrating that the Stones refuse to play as much of their own material as they do.You have a better chance of hearing some of the excellent Exile On Main Street tracks at a damn Black Crowes show than you do at a Rolling Stones concert.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 5, 2005 09:43

Night Time just smokes -- I feel so sorry for Keith having to follow it up every night!

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: December 5, 2005 11:11

I preffer covers to (again and again for me) star me up, satisfaction, etc.

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: December 5, 2005 11:49

I saw Get Up, Stand Up in East Hartford and Night Time in Durham. Both were crowd favorites, and both were worked to the maximum by Mick. I have read in the past that the covers are the 'fun' moments for the band, and they enjoy doing them. Personally, I would like to see no new covers, and instead see some of the classic old covers that were on early Stones Albums (Mercy, Mercy; Hitch Hike; Off the Hook; Around and Around; and others). I must confess that whenever I post a dissenting opinion on the performance of covers I feel very lonely, because I think I am a voice in the wilderness among the fans. Am I the only one who never cared about Can't Get Next to You, Love Train, and the new ones?

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: December 5, 2005 12:46

Worst setlist of the tour with 2 covers out of 20 plus Angie and Rain Fall Down. Glad I didn't waste $1000 on that mess. The cover gimmick has really gotten tired. Why don't they cover the Rolling Stones and some of the songs that have never been played before?

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: December 5, 2005 20:21

I liked the two covers. Those two were the highlight of the show for me, along with Rough Justice and Oh No, Not You Again.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: December 5, 2005 20:30

amen

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: December 5, 2005 21:10

BOBM Wrote:
> I saw Get Up, Stand Up in East Hartford and Night
> Time in Durham. Both were crowd favorites, and
> both were worked to the maximum by Mick. I have
> read in the past that the covers are the 'fun'
> moments for the band, and they enjoy doing them.
> Personally, I would like to see no new covers, and
> instead see some of the classic old covers that
> were on early Stones Albums (Mercy, Mercy; Hitch
> Hike; Off the Hook; Around and Around; and
> others). I must confess that whenever I post a
> dissenting opinion on the performance of covers I
> feel very lonely, because I think I am a voice in
> the wilderness among the fans. Am I the only one
> who never cared about Can't Get Next to You, Love
> Train, and the new ones?

Although I haven't been to a concert yet this time around, I have to agree with you. I really don't care for new covers. Even Night Time sounds boring, but then again, seeing it in concert is probably something entirely different.

But why these songs when they got loads of songs in their catalogue that scream for a live debut?

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 5, 2005 21:18

Personally, I'd rather the boys dump the cover songs. They stink. I pay the big buCks to hear THEIR songs IN CONCERT.

Posted by: kienan ()
Date: December 6, 2005 04:24

As for cover songs the Stones like everyone else started off as a cover band. They enjoy playing other peoples songs they like. As for two covers in Memphis this past Saturday,when I first saw them back in 1969 in Auburn Alabama, they played 4 covers that night:
Prodigal Son
You Gotta Move
Carol
Little Queenie
I loved it. So, two covers now is a rarity.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: December 6, 2005 05:01

kienan Wrote:
> As for cover songs the Stones like everyone else
> started off as a cover band. They enjoy playing
> other peoples songs they like. As for two covers
> in Memphis this past Saturday,when I first saw
> them back in 1969 in Auburn Alabama, they played 4
> covers that night:
> Prodigal Son
> You Gotta Move
> Carol
> Little Queenie
> I loved it. So, two covers now is a rarity.

Can you imagine an audience in 1969 saying, "I wish they wouldn't play that Prodigal Son and You Gotta Move stuff, when they could play their own songs?"

Audiences today, . . . so fcuking spoiled.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: December 6, 2005 05:47

My only comment as far as the covers go, is that they should digup some Chuck Berry tunes. If they threw in ONE Chuck Berry tune (replace Miss You with Little Queenie) it would make the entire tour all that much sweeter. It would make a big difference for me atleast. I've never had the honor of seeing/hearing them do a Berry tune live, though I did get Route 66 in Columbus (1999) but thats not actually a Berry tune.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: December 6, 2005 05:51

drake Wrote:
> My only comment as far as the covers go, is that
> they should digup some Chuck Berry tunes. If they
> threw in ONE Chuck Berry tune (replace Miss You
> with Little Queenie) it would make the entire tour
> all that much sweeter. It would make a big
> difference for me atleast. I've never had the
> honor of seeing/hearing them do a Berry tune live,
> though I did get Route 66 in Columbus (1999) but
> thats not actually a Berry tune.

Little Queenie would be sweet! I'm starting to think about what changes they'll make to the setlist for the new leg of the tour in January ... hopefully they'll mix it up some and throw in some surprises.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 968
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home