Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bitch and Feminism
Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: December 5, 2005 21:06

I just read on songfacts.com that when Bitch came out, it was criticized by feminist groups. Is there any truth to this?

It seems utterly ridiculous, considering Bitch is hardly an anti-female song. In fact, I would say that it empowers women by extolling the power they hold over men. After all, it's all about how torn up Mick is by love.

Any thoughts?

p.s. This isn't intended to be gratuitous feminist bashing - I'm quite a feminist myself. I'm just wondering why Bitch would come under fire.

Re: Bitch and Feminism
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 5, 2005 22:33

At the 1981 shows, feminist were handing out flyers complaining about "Under My Thumb". I thought it was funny and wish I would have kept one. It might sale on e-bay for lots of $$$.

Don't know about "Bitch" though.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 5, 2005 22:52

i remember the Under My Thumb and Some Girls brouhahas real well -
and the Black & Blue uproar - but Bitch?? why?!
"songfacts" is of course a serious misnomer ...

Posted by: john r ()
Date: December 5, 2005 23:02

Camille Paglia is one feminist who has written at length about the Stones' music (in detail, even comparing Bill's playing to Darryl's) and their influence on feminism and the sexual revolution; the essay, from the mid 90s, is in one of her collections. Ellen Goodman is another well known feminist, originally a rock critic, & Stones fan. There are many.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-05 23:06 by john r.

Posted by: mttlacroix ()
Date: December 5, 2005 23:13

can u post some of her anti stones rants?

i need a good laugh.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 5, 2005 23:17

i presume many women just assumed the song was directed at them (as well it probably should have been!)

Posted by: john r ()
Date: December 5, 2005 23:54

I meant the 'feminist' writers I mentioned are Stones fans who have written about the band and their positive influence on feminism.

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: December 6, 2005 00:24

How exactly did the band have a positive effect on feminism? I never took their lyrics that seriously.

"You're just a poor girl in a rich man's house".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1279
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home