Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

what makes a keith song?
Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: November 23, 2005 06:38

ok, so what it is that makes a keith song his?
obviously i can't see mick singing the worst, but i could see him singing before they make me run or wanna hold you.
how is it that keith's attitude comes through (or is created) in his own solo songs that he does with the band? how is it that he can write songs that only work best for him to sing... and why don't they compare to his solo work?

Re: what makes a keith song?
Posted by: deuce ()
Date: November 23, 2005 06:49

Keith is all over tons of songs. Mick sings Love Is Strong, but that's a Keith song.

Re: what do you mean by "a Keith song"?
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 23, 2005 09:09

... what is the question? you know Keith generates a lot more music than he ends up singing lead on, so what are you asking?
is it "how do they decide who's going to sing what?"
(and sorry, but i have to say it: imagining Mick singing BTMMR of all things is pretty weird!)

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: November 23, 2005 09:14

Because it's what Keith wants to say, baby. When a song of his goes to Mick, Mick usually rewrites the words, often significantly. Check out the "Voodoo Lounge" boots for confirmation of that. Keith probably keeps the ones that make a statement he wants to make, and also are in his range. Keith probably can picture what he wants Mick to sing, and may write the "Mick" songs with him in mind.

Re: why who sings what
Date: November 23, 2005 09:55

>> Keith probably can picture what he wants Mick to sing, and may write the "Mick" songs with him in mind. <<

smile: i think it's often more than "may". one of Keith's main jobs for 42+ years has been to generate music for Mick to sing lead on, and he's mighty good at it.
some numbers are pretty clearly better suited to one Twin's voice than the other's, but it's interesting to consider the tracks that could have gone either way.
Keith's talked about laying down the vocals to All About You just as a guide for Mick, but then the band all said Keith's rendition should stay.
Can't Be Seen, on the other hand, is a number that i can't imagine Mick singing even one note of. which has nothing to do with the mood or the message -
the vocal melody line is simply nothing like what Mick does with his voice.

- Keith

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: November 23, 2005 14:55

its funny canadian sway i can see mick singing the worst but i can't see him singing before they make me run at all!!!!

Posted by: saintmick ()
Date: November 23, 2005 16:07

A Keith song is sitting on a chair, guitar, cigarette, wodka, jazz, soul, blues, a lick here and there, eyes closed, some words, some melody and that voice...

Just isn't Mick.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: November 23, 2005 16:16

Hey,

I got a version of Mick singing YOU GOT THE SILVER as an example.

Best Regards,

PECMAN

Date: November 23, 2005 16:27

here's a bit of an insight from Keith, posted by BrownEyedGirll over on rs.com back in february:
"Writing with the Stones, I really write for Mick to sing. If I was going to write Eileen for Mick,
I wouldn't let it float so much melodically. I would use more precise meters,
and I would use the verse, chorus and hooks in a more obvious way.
But since I'm writing for myself, I can let them float a little more."
- from an article by Jim DeRogatis in the 22 November 1992 Chicago Sun Times

- Keith

Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: November 23, 2005 16:44

ok, before they make me run seems to be out of some people's frame of reference, but im sure we can all imagine mick singing happy (he seems to dominate the chorus on live versions in the early 70s).
it seem keith songs are of three different breeds...
rocking pseudo country-ish type tunes - ie happy, before they make me run
or slow jazz ballads- this place is empty, all about you, losing my touch etc
mid tempo not quite rock - infamy, theif in the night
(we'll pretend he hasn't messed with reggae... ie you don't have to mean it)

it seems if the song is too country for the stones, keith does it
if it is too mellow for the stones to do... keith does it
so are the stones made of what is in between these lines?

Re: Keith's LV turns
Date: November 23, 2005 16:52

Canadian, you lost me totally. what in the world do you mean by "too __ for the Stones"??
sorry, but that's such a kooky thing to say, in about seven ways at once!

(and no, let's not pretend the Stones have never done reggae-flavored stuff.
the Stones have fine broad horizons - always have. trying to put fences around them, or around Keith, is [a] sad, and way too late.)

- Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-23 18:26 by with sssoul.

Re: Keith's LV turns
Posted by: cc ()
Date: November 23, 2005 17:26

What are "the stones" to you, csway? You seem to have a much narrower notion of their music than... they do. They've been playing reggae rhythms for over years now. Too infrequently, IMO.

It's interesting to consider who writes what, but that's not exactly what you're on to?

cc

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: November 23, 2005 18:05

other than "silver" are there any other boots with the lead singer being switched??

Re: Keith LV tracks
Date: November 23, 2005 18:16

sure, HalfNanker - the Voodoo outtakes are full of Keith-LV demos of numbers that Mick wound up singing lead on;
and there are Keith-LV demos of Fight, Gimmie Shelter and Dandelion (when it was still called Sometimes Happy Sometimes Blue).
apparently there's also a Keith-LV version of Rip This Joint, but it's not in circulation - i don't know if anyone's actually heard it.

- Keith

Posted by: cc ()
Date: November 23, 2005 19:21

would love an upload of that keith "Fight" from anyone... I have one disc of Dirty Work outtakes (Back to Zero), and that's not on it.

cc

Date: November 23, 2005 19:28

i'd love to, CC, but i don't have it on my computer - i hope someone else comes up with it for you.
considering the spirit in which Fight was written, it always strikes me as such a riotous joy that Mick wound up taking the LV duties on it -
smile: ahhh, the Rolling Stones and their ways to get along! :E

- Keith

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: November 25, 2005 15:56

sssoul, which boots do i need to hear those?

Date: November 25, 2005 16:08

i'm sure they're all on other boots as well, but for example:
Voodoo Stew has a bunch of the Keith-LV demos of Voodoo Lounge tracks;
the early Dandelion is on the Black Box;
Gimmie Shelter is (for no sensible reason whatsoever) on Toronto Blues;
Fight is on Crushed Pearl.

- Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1463
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home