Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Like a rolling stone with Dylan
Posted by: Koschi ()
Date: November 17, 2005 16:43

Can somebody please post or send me a version of Like a Rolling Stone feat. Bob Dylan? I believe they played in Rio with him.

Is it good?

Re: Like a rolling stone with Dylan
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: November 17, 2005 16:59

Koschi, I was just listening to it yesterday. I was listening to the Rio show and was once again BLOWN AWAY by the crowds. Second only to the Argetinians. Nothing like hearing 50,000 voices go "I can't GET NO!!!" For LARS i had forgotten that Dyln joins them in that show. All of the sudden there is the crazy voice....LOL I was suporised how well Jagger and Dylan syunc up for most of the parts. Dylan being such an ad-libber, and Jagger such a howler. But it is cool. I don't have the facility here to upload from a CD.If you don't get it let me know and we will work something out. mailwise.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: November 17, 2005 17:07

I believe they also played it together in France?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 17, 2005 17:28

they played it together 5 times, when Dylan opened for the Stones and then joined them onstage

Montepelier, France in July 1995 and then 4 South American shows in April 1998. the final two Buenos Aires shows (4th and 5th April) and the two Brazilian shows in Rio and Sao Paulo

theres no circulating recording of the two Buenos Aires gig. The performance in Sao Paulo is the only one of the three others thats a half decent performance, unfortunately its the one in the poorest sound quality

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: November 17, 2005 18:17

Here 'tis

[rapidshare.de]

If you don't know about rapidshare, scroll down the first page & click on 'free', then scroll down the second page & there she is.

There appear to be 3 versions of the Rio 4/11/98 concert, all SNBD from the same broadcast.

Sister Morphine
'Stoned in Rio de Janeiro' & the 20 bit version 'They'll Stone You in Rio de Janeiro Too'
And VGP 'Old Friends From Rio'

Posted by: Charles ()
Date: November 17, 2005 18:42

Man, I don't have the Rio show yet and I'm a Dylan freak. Thanks for the info. guys!

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Posted by: Koschi ()
Date: November 17, 2005 20:37

well if it is so great - can you post satisfaction from rio too please?

THANKS for LARS!!!!

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: November 17, 2005 21:03

Hey Charles Im off to see Bob Dylan in Glasgow in.....ooh 1 hour!! Listening to Shooting Star and Im out the door. Ill post a review if you want

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 17, 2005 21:12

Hey, letitloose, we´ll love to hear your review. I saw him in Oslo Oct 18th, it was EXCELLENT! Have a good time!

Date: November 18, 2005 01:03

I'll be at 4 shows in 8 days next week - the first two in Brixton plus both Dublin. Lookin' forward to it

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: November 18, 2005 01:12

Who is this Dylan guy everyone keeps talking about?

Date: November 18, 2005 01:30

4 shows Gazza? You lucky bastard. You lucky, lucky, lucky bastard. (Im not being rude, thats a famous Monty Python sentence.) Dylan have some bad nights nowdays, for instance Sweden and Denmark (before and after the Oslo show) was not good, I heard. But the one in the middle (Oslo) was in another dimesion. If you take 4, you are 90% guaranteed to get at least good show. Have you seen him before?
If anyone wonder why I write to Gazza, its because he is the quiz-master of this board:-)
sadstonesguy: Bob Dylan is a pop-artist, and he is very old.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 18, 2005 01:35

Bob's biggest problem the last 2-3 years is his increasing propensity for what is referred to in Dylan fanatic circles as "up-singing" on the ballads, in particular. It has become an annoying bad habit that can ruin a song. I've stopped collecting his shows as much as a I used to because of it.

Date: November 18, 2005 01:38

Its not a protest, but what do you mean by "up-singing"? Higher notes?

Date: November 18, 2005 02:00

well, if you've heard any of his shows in recent years, you'll know exactly what up-singing is. He tends to climb up a few notes in pitch (sort of like a falsetto) at the end of the phrase - particularly on ballads. It's really just a habit that he's gotten into. It's weird, unnecessary and often very annoying - I find myself wondering if he's going to end each phrase like that and wind up being totally pre-occupied and distracted.

Date: November 18, 2005 02:23

I respect your opinions T&A.
Its very strange how different people find Dylans performance. The first time I heard him do this phrasing was in 2001. And too me, it gave the sentences a new life. I thought of different meanings to the lyrics, that fitted in my own life. When you have heard a song (no-matter what artist) many times, you hear the lyrics inside your head while hearing them. But when the phrasing is completely different, your brain make up new feelings and meaning for these words. On bad Dylan-shows, the phrasing perhaps dont add life. But on good shows, it can move you to tears, at least it has moved me to tears.
Sorry for writing so much.

Date: November 18, 2005 02:29

I'm with you Erik...but I can tell you that in Dylan fanatic circles (check the message board in the Dylan Pool site), the up-singing epidemic is almost universally despised. I love it when Dylan changes the phrasing around intentionally - but, like I said, this thing is a bad-habit he can't seem to shake on many nights.

Date: November 18, 2005 02:39

Perhaps people who have been to many shows are right in their own way, but I am right in mine. We´re just one too many morning and a thousand miles behind.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: November 18, 2005 02:47

I have loved every Dylan show I've seen, esp. Pantages & The Sun (now called the Grove). I've caught him 20something times...loved em all.

Date: November 18, 2005 02:55

Erik_Snow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 4 shows Gazza? You lucky bastard. You lucky,
> lucky, lucky bastard. (Im not being rude, thats a
> famous Monty Python sentence.)

"Crucifixion - first offence..."

Stones, Dylan, Bruce and Monty Python. You have impeccable taste

Dylan have some bad
> nights nowdays, for instance Sweden and Denmark
> (before and after the Oslo show) was not good, I
> heard. But the one in the middle (Oslo) was in
> another dimesion. If you take 4, you are 90%
> guaranteed to get at least good show.

I've downloaded most of the shows from this year. They're pretty consistent although I'd like to hear a new album...its time for new songs.

Have you
> seen him before?

yes..the 2nd Dublin show will be my 30th Dylan concert, since 1984.

> If anyone wonder why I write to Gazza, its because
> he is the quiz-master of this board:-)

I thought YOU were!
>

Date: November 18, 2005 03:11

Seen him since 1984? Newcastle or Wembley 84? Wembley is available on video. I hope you saw the Hammersmith Odeon concerts in 1990. If you didnt I got to send you the CDs (if I can have them back). I have only seen him since 1996.
30 times, you lucky, lucky, lucky etc.

> 4 shows Gazza? You lucky bastard. You lucky,
> lucky, lucky bastard. (Im not being rude, thats a
> famous Monty Python sentence.)

"Crucifixion - first offence..."

Stones, Dylan, Bruce and Monty Python. You have impeccable taste

.... you should have seen all the handsome girls who have left me, when they figured out that my true loves are Stones, Dylan etc.
I liked them also, but...well, well... they just arrived here from the coast, BUT they left looking just like a ghost....

Date: November 18, 2005 04:47

Erik_Snow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seen him since 1984? Newcastle or Wembley 84?

Newcastle and Slane Castle! I skipped Wembley

> Wembley is available on video.

Yep..its not a bad one.. a nice raw pro shot filmed for MTV use. Theres audience recordings of Newcastle and Slane too. Newcastle is ok but Slane is mostly views of peoples arses, parked on other people's shoulders....

I hope you saw the
> Hammersmith Odeon concerts in 1990. If you didnt I
> got to send you the CDs (if I can have them back).

I didnt unfortunately, but I have all 6 shows...a great series of concerts, especially the last night!

> I have only seen him since 1996.

yeah but at 42, I'm an old fart. After '84 I saw him in Paris and London in '87 (I was in both cities on my honeymoon at the same time as Bob was playing there...convenient or what?), Dublin '89, Belfast '91, Dublin, Belfast & 2 hammersmith shows in '93, Glasgow and Belfast '95, Hyde Park (with Woody!) in'96, Belfast & Glasgow '98, both Dublin shows and both Portsmouth shows in '00 (a great tour), Stirling '01, two London shows in '02, wembley arena '03, both Glasgow shows and Belfast '04 and then 4 next week. I liked the 2000 shows immensely although he always seems to play his ass off in Glasgow for some reason. Barrowlands in Glasgow last year was an amazing show.

>30 times, you lucky, lucky, lucky etc.

It helps that he tours every year and his tickets are affordable. I've seen the Stones more times but I tend to have to travel a lot further afield to do that.

theres a few here who have been at more Dylan shows than that though. I'd guess T&A has seen quite a few more (its handy if you live in northern california as Bob plays there a lot) and billy31824 has probably lost count by now - I think he's going to eleven shows on this current tour.

Date: November 18, 2005 15:33

There are no versions of "Like a rolling stone" played by the Rolling Stones with Bob Dylan.
All versions played by these guys are played by Bob Dylan with the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Charles ()
Date: November 19, 2005 19:55

I just wish Dylan would mix up the set list a little more. During the shows he did with Phil Lesh a few years ago, he did a great job bringing a lot of variety every night to the setlist. The "up singing" to me isn't as annoying as the overeliance on country themes throughout the set. Sure I like the country feel to a few of his songs but not all of them. That said, I would drop everything and see him as much as I could if he came roaring around my neighborhood.

"Please Mrs. Henry won't you look my way and pump me a few...." dylan

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1497
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home