Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Quite Simply the Best
Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 15, 2005 09:56

I felt that I needed to post this:

Between this board, iorr and shidoobee, I have read (and posted myself) a lot of complaints about this tour (tired setlists, Woodie's playing, ticket costs, the on-stage experience, etc.). Many of those complaints are legitimate, and people who have seen multiple shows over the years will pick up on those things. But this month, I went to two shows (Anaheim and SF) with two different friends seeing their first shows. They were younger -- One is 28, the other is 34, and neither was a huge Stones fan, although both like "classic rock". They were just blown away, from the minute the lights went down, the flames went up and Keith tore into SMU. They were seeing Mick for the first time, the B-Stage for the first time, etc. They both told me that they had never seen anything like it, and could not imagine a better show. I was almost jealous -- I tried to imagine what it must be like to see/hear SFTD or Satisfaction live for the first time. And, as I looked around me after JJF last night, I saw people from the front floor to the upper terraces going wild -- and it dawned on me that except for a few hard-core fans, everyone goes home compeltely satisfied. In the rock and roll world, there simply isn't anything better than the Stones live, and we need to remember that.

Re: Quite Simply the Best
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 15, 2005 10:13

got that right, doctor!
all but this bit: "except for a few hard-core fans" -
there are much more precise terms for the ones who won't be satisfied. :E

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 15, 2005 14:25

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> got that right, doctor!
> all but this bit: "except for a few hard-core
> fans" -
> there are much more precise terms for the ones who
> won't be satisfied. :E

Yeah. Frgid people. grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: November 15, 2005 15:09

I have seen 7 west coast shows including Anaheim and it was again the thrill of my life. First of all the boys were fresh after the one week break starting in Calgary and bringing so many different songs down to San Diego....
I have nothing to add and actually I do not understand why so many people have so many negative threats without even seeing them. Everywhere we went to the people around us enjoyed the shows very, very much.

Posted by: rocksaurus ()
Date: November 15, 2005 15:44

Must agree. Have been to two shows so far this tour with Vegas to go (so far). Took two 22 year olds to the Columbus show and they too said it was something that they would never forget. Each tour and each show is a blessing that all that attend should treasure.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: November 15, 2005 16:31

I consider myself a hardcore-fan but I still enjoy the Stones shows! The ultimate concerts! Don't start changing things. They've got it right now!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 15, 2005 17:43

I don't think it's really a question of being the best, frankly. They've always owned that title - there's really nobody competing with them. They compete with themselves and when I complain it's usually having something to do with them not being as good as they can be, whether it be Woody, the setlist or whatever. That's legitimate.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: November 15, 2005 19:01

funny, all the Stones fanatics & critics...some whine, lots praise, but somehow the Stones are burned forever into our collective heart & soul....yeah, they have off-nights like everybody else.....but when i think about all of those great songs (including now) and great shows over the years....i can forgive them and rest easy....i'll take their music with me till i croak!

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: November 15, 2005 21:20

Mick Jagger invented "the frontman".

My wife, a casual fan, kept complaining about Ronnie's playing, though, at SBC, Sun. "What the hell is he playing" "They seriously need a lead guitarist"--all through the show. Otherwise she loved it. Some young girls next to us, 1st time, had a blast but were dying to hear Wild Horses and it didn't happen.

Date: November 15, 2005 21:28

young girls wanted to hear WH? Wow - that's pretty unusual.

Anyway - I would disagree that MJ "invented" the rock'n'roll frontman - I think he definitely matured and refined it. But, a fellow named Elvis created the rnr frontman role years before....MJ would be the first to tell you that.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: November 15, 2005 21:33

Of course they are the best. Pity those bitter old bastards that choose to whine and criticize rather than enjoy the gift of music being given to them. They are incapable of enjoying the best that life has to offer some how thinking they are entitled to more. They aren't, and have no one but themselves to blame for their sorrow.

Date: November 15, 2005 21:34

I blame-a-myself

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: November 15, 2005 21:40

I blame chickens.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 15, 2005 21:47

Yes. True. If you read the reviews on this site you will see that many people say they are better now than before. You may think that is from people getting older and loosing their objectivity, hearing and all of that, but the fact is you will see, again by reading the reviews, this is coming from fans of any age. Even people who know nothing about the Stones, still they know a lot about other bands, then they see this tour, and they love it.

Tonight is the lst night for the stadium show in USA/Canada. It is fantstic, and I am not even sure they can afford to bring it to the "outskirts". Very expensive operation. Fantastic visuals and sound. They will prbably get rid of half of the trucks and staff some way to make it economically possible in more remote places. I don't know. Just a thought I have.

Bjornulf

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1346
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home