Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Time Is On My Side
Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: November 8, 2005 23:10

I have a question - - "The Singles Collection, The London Years" contains the "organ" version of "Time Is On My Side". Should that be the case? Was this the version that was actually released as a single back in the 60's? Anytime the song comes on the radio, it's always the superior (in my humble opinion) "non-organ" version they play.

"12 x 5" also contains the organ version of this song. Besides "Hot Rocks", where else can one find the non-organ studio version of this song? I'm referring to official CD releases, of course. I'm thinking that "Hot Rocks" is the only official CD to contain this, am I correct?

Thanks everyone! Cheers!!

Re: Time Is On My Side
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 8, 2005 23:15

according to nzentgraf.de, the guitar-intro version's also on Rolling Stones No 2.
(in a related story: i believe the No. 2 version of Everybody Needs Somebody to Love is also the one that appears on More Hot Rocks.)

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: November 8, 2005 23:21

My London Years collection has the guitar intro..

Date: November 8, 2005 23:22

Ah thanks for the info, with sssoul - - much appreciated! I guess those tracks are harder to find because the British "No 2" album never was released on CD, to my knowledge. The American-releases "12 X 5" and "Now" albums take its place on CD. Fortunately, I do have "Hot Rocks" in my collection!

Ride like the wind at double speed.....

Date: November 8, 2005 23:23

Really, deuce? That differs from my copy.

So - - which version was the actual single, then?

Date: November 9, 2005 00:33

sf37 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a question - - "The Singles Collection, The
> London Years" contains the "organ" version of
> "Time Is On My Side". Should that be the case? Was
> this the version that was actually released as a
> single back in the 60's? Anytime the song comes on
> the radio, it's always the superior (in my humble
> opinion) "non-organ" version they play.
>
> "12 x 5" also contains the organ version of this
> song. Besides "Hot Rocks", where else can one find
> the non-organ studio version of this song? I'm
> referring to official CD releases, of course. I'm
> thinking that "Hot Rocks" is the only official CD
> to contain this, am I correct?

There are two studio versions of "Time is on my side":

1. recorded in June 1964 London, Regent Sound Studios
This is the "organ" version released as an US single and later released on US album 12 X 5. It was later (1984) also released on the UK and US CD with the same name. Also on the US CD called BIG HITS (HIGH TIDE AND GREEN GRASS) released in 1986 [Abkco 8001-2] and on the US CD of HOT ROCKS 1964-1971 released in 1986 [Abkco 6667-2].

2. recorded in November 1964 Chicago, Chess Studios
This is the "guitar" version first released on UK album THE ROLLING STONES NO. 2 (also available on CD [London POCD-1913], released in 1997). It is released on most subsequent releases, among them the US and UK album BIG HITS (HIGH TIDE AND GREEN GRASS) released in 1966, on the UK CD of the same name released in 1991, on the US album HOT ROCKS 1964-1971, on the UK CD of the same name [London 820140-1/2] released in 1990, and on the 4LP/3CD box THE ROLLING STONES SINGLES COLLECTION (even though this version NEVER was released on a single).

By the way, the organ (on both versions) is played by Ian Stewart.

The song was first recorded by (black) Irma Thomas on the B side of her US #52 single "Anyone who knows what love is (will understand)" [US: Imperial 66041] and it contained a piano/drums intro. Great great soul! Apparently Irma became quite angry at the Stones when people later asked her to play that "Rolling Stones song" after they had had a US #6 hit with it (their biggest success until "Satisfaction"!)...

Date: November 10, 2005 17:05

Thanks for the valuable information, Captain!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 10, 2005 17:15

Guitar version on my "singles" too.

C

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: November 10, 2005 17:19

I used to have both versions on Hot Rocks! Then I foolishly got rid of the Hot Rocks tapes and kept the other. Could've been a collector's item! Oh well.smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home