Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Live footages
Posted by: olympia ()
Date: November 1, 2005 18:43

I 've always been puzzled over the limited amount of live footages available from the 70's.In the market we can get Marquee 71,ladies and gentlemen (+ @#$%& blues) ,LA Forum ,Paris 76 + La hague and a couple of 78 performances (bad sound and bad videos) and what else (not talking about TV appearances)?
I am absolutely sure that a lot of other shows have been taped (officially or not),just wondering why they have not resurfaced by now.

Re: Live footages
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 1, 2005 18:48

Videotaping was a pretty rare phenomenon until the 1980's so I'm surprised theres as much from the 70's as there actually is

Most of what youve mentioned above were professionally filmed for television. Not many people had camcorders back then...they were incredibly rare and very expensive...I would also imagine that they were very big and cumbersome too....

As were videorecorders - which were about £600 in the mid 70's when the first ones came out (which was a couple of months wages for most people!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-01 18:48 by Gazza.

Posted by: olympia ()
Date: November 1, 2005 18:53

Thanks Gazza but what I meant is that like Paris in 76 or LA in 75, TV channels were taping shows .I remember very well ,late 70's, having watched on TV footages from Stones Live performances which have never resurfaced since.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: November 1, 2005 18:56

saw some '73 clips on a "year in music" special on vh1...professional quality...they exist

Date: November 1, 2005 21:50

well, the two main problems were 1) the technology at the time (already mentioned) and 2) if no video bootlegging was going on, then it was up to the stones to commission someone to film the gig. A couple of exceptions being L.a. Blues and Knebworth Fair, where you got a line out of the first video cameras projecting onto the screen behind the band (then in its infancy). My point being is that Jagger n crew have always been VERY image conscious about what sees the light of day, even the famous "Bedspring SYmphony" King Biscuit FM Broadcast was compiled from several shows by the Stones to cover up the rough parts of the 73 tour. So, unless they had a specific project in mind, or felt they for some reason were up to it, so probably weren't filming themselves.

Fast forward to 2005 -> just in the last week i have gotten 3 different sets of altmont/gimmie shelter outtakes, 2 out of the 3 i didnt know existed. Sometimes, over time, people start to realize "Oh, yeah, I had that super8 sound reel of the stones....somewhere". And unless the grandson is there at the time and a stones fan, buried it will stay. But, there's been a lot of stuff seeping through the cracks in the last cpl of years and I imagine that trend will continue. Patience is required. But the payoff is usually worth it.

Date: November 1, 2005 22:49

The footage from Knebworth is taken from a raw news feed for BBC news - only a couple of minutes were actually screened

But what you said is basically correct. If the Stones werent filming it or giving permission for someone to do so for some TV use (even for brief use like Knebworth) then theres not going to be too much

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 1, 2005 22:54

>> just in the last week i have gotten 3 different sets of altmont/gimmie shelter outtakes, 2 out of the 3 i didnt know existed. <<

so ... if you could be persuaded to tell us about it,
i'm sure lots of us would love to hear.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Date: November 2, 2005 07:02

1. 9 minutes of footage backstage at MSG prior to the show they did on Hendrix's birthday in 69. The stones arrive and are hustled backstage. CUT to the backstage room and the stones and various others are hanging out, changing clothes, prancing, and playing guitars, among them Jimi himself. bad news is that 7 of the 9 minutes are silent, then in the middle the sound appears as keith and jimi have a conversation about bands they knew and liked and had they seen them recently (sam and dave is the only one i could clearly make out).

2. Altmont outtakes - various crowd shots , brief musical interludes (brief being the operative word) of santana, the airplane, CSNY. Mostly crowd footage.

3. Little Queenie from MSG 69, black and white and not the one thats the bonus on criterion's "gimmie shelter" - different version that rocks

4. more crowd shots from altamont, then the stones doing "jumping jack flash" from altamont -> F'n cool

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 2, 2005 09:05

>> F'n cool <<
sounds like it, UAWCPM - thank you!
is this stuff in general circulation, or planning to be?

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: November 2, 2005 12:17

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The footage from Knebworth is taken from a raw
> news feed for BBC news - only a couple of minutes
> were actually screened
>
> But what you said is basically correct. If the
> Stones werent filming it or giving permission for
> someone to do so for some TV use (even for brief
> use like Knebworth) then theres not going to be
> too much

Believe it or not but I have 60 minutes of Knebworth on a DVD boot in excellent quality, there's no further info at all on the cover (as if I mind...;-))

Date: November 2, 2005 14:31

thats the same footage I'm referring to

A certain esteemed member of this forum (who shall remain nameless for security reasons) was the person responsible for 'unearthing' the Knebworth footage

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-02 14:32 by Gazza.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: November 2, 2005 14:50

UnderAssistantWCpromoMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1. 9 minutes of footage backstage at MSG prior to
> the show they did on Hendrix's birthday in 69. The
> stones arrive and are hustled backstage. CUT to
> the backstage room and the stones and various
> others are hanging out, changing clothes,
> prancing, and playing guitars, among them Jimi
> himself. bad news is that 7 of the 9 minutes are
> silent, then in the middle the sound appears as
> keith and jimi have a conversation about bands
> they knew and liked and had they seen them
> recently (sam and dave is the only one i could
> clearly make out).
>
> 2. Altmont outtakes - various crowd shots , brief
> musical interludes (brief being the operative
> word) of santana, the airplane, CSNY. Mostly crowd
> footage.
>
> 3. Little Queenie from MSG 69, black and white and
> not the one thats the bonus on criterion's "gimmie
> shelter" - different version that rocks
>
> 4. more crowd shots from altamont, then the stones
> doing "jumping jack flash" from altamont -> F'n
> cool
>
>

The unseen Gimme Shelter/Altamont footage is the Holy Grail, seems to me. There's got to be a lot of 69 stuff in somebody's vault. Likewise, there's got to be some more Ladies & Gentlemen - the released movie was from 2 shows. Hopefully I'm going to live long enough.........

Karl

Date: November 2, 2005 15:11

3. Little Queenie from MSG 69, black and white and
> not the one thats the bonus on criterion's "gimmie
> shelter" - different version that rocks

that sounds like the promo version that I've had for a while (maybe in lesser quality than yours)

odd thing about is that Mick pulls that same "rolling eyes" face on it that he does at the start of HTW (or was it 'Satisfaction') from MSG in the Gimme Shelter film

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: November 2, 2005 17:48

reported this once before: a friend of mine went to a screening of Gimme Shelter when it came out on dvd...the living Maysles brother was the guest speaker after the showing...he said he has reels of live footage from the MSG '69 show

Date: November 2, 2005 20:06

>
> odd thing about is that Mick pulls that same
> "rolling eyes" face on it that he does at the
> start of HTW (or was it 'Satisfaction') from MSG
> in the Gimme Shelter film

i commend you and your rolling eye for all its astute observations...i noticed that too...during jumping jack flash in gimmie shelter it looks like mick points to the monitor as if to say "TURN IT UP" and then rolls his eyes...he does this during this lil queenie clip as well

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1404
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home