Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Their Satanic Majesties Request.
Posted by: Love In Vain ()
Date: October 29, 2005 16:58

Ive been playing this a lot in the last few weeks after not hearing it for about ten years i think it got a bad press when it came out its of its time but there are some good songs 2000 Light Years and She's A Rainbow is it time for this album to come in out of the cold.

Re: Their Satanic Majesties Request.
Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 29, 2005 17:04

sing this song together is horrible. u r right though. a few good ones on it.

Posted by: michel ()
Date: October 29, 2005 17:35

I like the whole album!!!! even the cover, altough I am happy they went back to their roots with beggers banquet.It depents on what mood youre in.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: October 29, 2005 18:44

ya beggers was their ,,, back 2 the roots ,,lets show um were back album ,,,imo ,,,satanic better than dirty work & undercover ,,but those 2 r my least fav stones albums

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 29, 2005 18:46

come on , undercover rocks!

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 29, 2005 19:43

Citadel, 2000 Light Years, 2000 Man, She's a Rainbow -- all better than anything on ABB. The Lantern -- better than anything on VL.

cc

Date: October 29, 2005 19:47

And imagine if We Love You were on the album -- even stronger.

cc

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 29, 2005 20:09

I don't like it. It is a bad answer on "Sergeant Peppers". There are some good song-ideas, but the psychedelic arrangement doesn't fit to the Stones. They are a rock band with their roots in the blues tradition. If they go back to their roots, they are the best. "Their Majesties Request" is the weakest album in their history in my opinion.

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: October 29, 2005 20:31

Get rid of Sing all together (see what happens), On with the Show, Gomper & if Dandelion & We love you instead similar type vibe tunes that would fit. Now that album would move a way up in most views. The concept would of actually kind of worked & been more accepted. Oh well shit happens & those are 3 shit tunes my friends. MEZ

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: October 29, 2005 21:07

I don't have a bad word to say about this album; it's not only my favourite Stones album, but my favourite album of all time. I would probably agree that Beggars, LIB and Sticky are actually better musically but it just blows me away every time.
Screw the critics and the whole poor man's Sergeant Pepper nonsense.

Date: October 29, 2005 21:22

Yes, the whole "poor man's Sgt. Pepper's" and "needed to get back to their roots" argument is one of those stock rock critics' cliches. Sadly, the stones themselves have bought into it. Put down the record guide and listen to the album for what it is.

cc

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: October 29, 2005 21:23

its a great album...only made better with kleins sacd's.....it rocks and i love it a lot more than the beatles all that love crap s. pecker... tsmr, with brian jones is a deeper, meaner flower rock album...done in the stones deeper level...just play gomper....killer guitars at the end...only sad part is they should have added child of the moon and we love you to its release....
their is nothing quite like it.....anyway brian jones makes this album...in a way the stones were ahead of their time with this album....

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 29, 2005 21:38

it sure doesn't sound like any "bad answer to Sgt Pepper" to me either -
it sounds to me like a great glorious FVCK YOU to the system that had just tried its best to bring the Rolling Stones down,
and i love it. sure it's musically freaky and out of joint; the times were out of joint.
but those are some splendidly gifted musicians goin all freaky for us.

from Steve Appleford's _Rip This Joint_ regarding the Satanic Majesties sessions:

"George Chkaintz [went] to fetch a new reel of tape [and] took a shortcut through Studio B. ...
'I hurried through this room, which was full of people, and Keith is playing a little white Hammond organ ....
He was just tapping it rhythmically, not really playing any kind of tune; it was all to do with rhythm.
I must have got about two-thirds of the way down the room, and I got frozen. It was fascinating, I just got caught by this thing. ...
The quality of his rhythm I've always found exceptional anyway. But this wasn't from his instrument or anything.
It was just mesmerizing. It's important to realize that you were dealing with people of this calibre,
who just could do it in a way that very few others can.'"

- 1967, probably by Michael Ochs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-29 23:54 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 29, 2005 22:11

It´s just a dozen or a 10 cent-analysis that it should be an answer to Sgt. Peppers. The lads had close connections at times.
The varité-idea might as well have been Jagger´s idea from the start.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 30, 2005 00:25

don't take it as a "serious" stones lp...but i do like it...3D covers very cool........even though they look silly in those costumes

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: October 30, 2005 00:40

imagine though Majesties with this tracklist

We Love you, Child of the Moon, & Dandelion added and See what happens, Gomper * On with the show Removed. It then becomes a serious quality LP. Tracks that fit the time & vibe & take off few garbage, filler silly stuff. Satanic moves way up in status immensely & would of had to have been more accepted by critics etc

Wow what could of been! But it is what it is & never as bad as portrayed but those 3 songs kinda ruin it for me. Maybe for others it works though. MEZ

Date: October 30, 2005 00:44

On With The Show - removed? No way!

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 30, 2005 00:44

James Lynn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> imagine though Majesties with this tracklist
>
> We Love you, Child of the Moon, & Dandelion
> added and See what happens, Gomper * On with the
> show Removed. It then becomes a serious quality
> LP. Tracks that fit the time & vibe & take
> off few garbage, filler silly stuff. Satanic moves
> way up in status immensely & would of had to
> have been more accepted by critics etc
>
> Wow what could of been! But it is what it is &
> never as bad as portrayed but those 3 songs kinda
> ruin it for me. Maybe for others it works though.
> MEZ

Great idea MEZ!...i nominate you to open up their archive & share the wealth!

Posted by: letitbleed ()
Date: October 30, 2005 00:47

Even if you don't love the album you have to love the guitar tones that Keith comes up with. I mean listen to the intro to the Citadel one more time.
2000 light years is a Great Song! Production value is very unique and again the guitar tones are awesome.
I love the record.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: October 30, 2005 01:11

5 ways to improve the Satanic album -

1.In Another Land - Remove Wyman's dreadful vocals and let Mick do the singing.

2.The stupid snoring should also be deleted in the end of the same track.

3.SING THIS ALL TOGETHER (SEE WHAT HAPPENS) - This tune is superfluous, drop it.

4.SHE'S A RAINBOW - Lose the unnecessary intro before the actual song begins.

5.Gomper - Get rid of the part where Brian Jones goes totally crazy with all kinds of peculiar instruments.

Date: October 30, 2005 01:11

I´d say it´s WLY & Gomper that possibly gives it the tiniest
slightest resemblance to Sgt. Pepper.
But a remix of Satanic with Dandelion, COTM;
a shorterned version of Gomper,
maybe Sitting On a fence
& no STAT long version; I´d buy (or download).

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: October 30, 2005 01:49

I love all of Gomper! Let Brian do his thing! Anyway, TSMR is indeed the MOST UNDERRRATED Stones album. I am also sick and tired of all the cliched criticisms of it. It was 1967 and psychedelia was 'in'. I am glad the Stones ventured away from their blues-rock roots for a little while to experiment with different sounds. It was necessary. I love TSMR particularly for its uniqueness . . .

Date: October 30, 2005 01:52

Hell though, Neptune!
Therefore I sacrifice for ya this pic:

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 30, 2005 05:31

I love psychedelic music; the Beatles and the Jefferson Airplane, among others, did some great work in this genre. But I've never been that crazy about Satanic Majesties. She's A Rainbow and 2000 Light Years are great, but the rest is filler IMO. I don't see how anyone can say they weren't blatantly trying to rip off St. Pepper's, it seems pretty obvious, right down to the cover art. The band was really trying to find it's way at this point, and Jagger has always been all about following/exploiting trends. Not so successfully this time, I think. But man did they come back strong with Beggar's, whether saying so is a cliche or not.

I agree the album would have been much stronger with Dandelion, We Love You and Child of the Moon, all fine songs. I would have dropped Sing This All Together, Gomper and In Another Land for those. That would have been half of a great album anyway. I even kind of like On With the Show, but overall the album leaves me cold. I can't fault the spirit of adventure and experimentalism, but just not crazy about the result.

Date: October 30, 2005 09:18

sure, the cover art looks like a parody of the Sgt Pepper cover
(same artist and all), but musically? what do you hear on SM that's similar to anything on Sgt Pepper?
the vaudeville vibe of On With the Show maybe - but that was de rigueur in British psychedelia (cf Between the Buttons).
and if a supposed similarity to Sgt Pepper is a problem then it's funny that people are saying they'd like the album better
if it included more tracks that Lennon & McCartney sang on ...

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-30 09:28 by with sssoul.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: October 30, 2005 12:02

>
> - 1967, probably by Michael Ochs
>
>

The photo, is that really from 1967? Isntit from 69 just when Keith cut his hair short? Keith looks very 67 though so maybe im wrong. They used it for Let it bleed with Brian edited out.

Date: October 30, 2005 12:05

>> The photo, is that really from 1967? <<
yep!

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 30, 2005 12:15

In another landNo credits listed

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: October 30, 2005 20:19

The cover art isn't really that similar between Peppers and SM apart from both being very busy and very colourful and the fact that both were photographed by Michael Cooper (this wasn't the Stones copying the Beatles; he was a closer friend of the Stones beforehand). The bright dayglo colours and cluttered detail of the pictures is probably down to the fact they were both doing a lot of the same drug at the time: LSD, which obviously inspires this sort of visual as dozens of other psychedelic sleeves attest to. I personally love the shot of the Stones looking "like Edwardian space cadets bent on voodoo" as one article put it. They always looked so much cooler than the Beatles in their psych threads (see the pic. above!)

I think some commentators think because the Beatle heads are hidden in the foliage on the SM cover then this somehow displays that they were copying them whereas of course they were really just replaying the compliment their mates and rivals paid them on Peppers with the words "Welcome the Rolling Stones the good guys" on the girl's jumper.

I do myself think they were consciously parodying the Beatles vaudeville affectations in 'On With The Show' rather than copying them. The track sounds like a piss-take. An obscure clue pointing to this is the line "Your hostess here is Wendy, you'll find her very friendly too": In Magical Mystery Tour the name of the hostess on the coach is none other than Wendy.

Sergeant Pepper was never really as psychedelic as it's cover promised. Apart from the genuinely innovatory & apocalyptic sounding day In The Life, the Indian meditation of Within You Without You, the swirly fairground vibe in Being For The Benefit of Mr Kite and the woozy lysercic pop of Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds you are really only left with a bunch of average pop ditties tarted up with largely superfluous production gimmickry (eg the annoying animal noises on Good Morning). Satanic Majesties on the other hand is drenched in truly other-worldly sounds and shimmering acid textures. It's not as mainstream as Pepper because as it's the Stones they are exploring the darker colours in the psychedelic spectrum.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: October 30, 2005 20:29

rockman ,, that is 1 cool pic ,,in another land alright ,,wow that takes u back

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1654
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home