Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

why Virgin doesn't release something real cool for stones fans?
Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: October 26, 2005 23:08

hi gyus
why Virgin doesn't release something real cool for stones fans?
i'm not saying the new rarities album is too bad, but, i mean, just see to the 30th anniversary edition of springsteen Born to run: a double disc with rarities and a fantastic dvd with makin of, interviews, and a COMPLETE never-seen concert from that '75 tour. Since i don't think exile on main street isn't as good as born to run, i keep asking why they never do that with stones albums. You can find cool limited edition of bowie 70's albums for the 30th anniversary, Bob Marley the same, and a lot of other similar things. The stones are maybe the band with more unreleased songs than anybody else!!! imagine a 30th anniversary edition of exile or some girls with a bonus disc of outtakes and live performance from the same tour. I'll be GREAT!!! Is there anyone of you who won't buy immediately an album like that?

Re: why Virgin doesn't release something real cool for stones fans?
Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: October 26, 2005 23:12

I'm sure some of those guys here on the forum would consider it a "rip-off".

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 26, 2005 23:46

They do only release what they are allowed to release. By the band. AQnd they don't want unfinished and unwanted stuff out. Very simple. Virgin only do what they are told to.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: October 26, 2005 23:50

virgin is not to blame for this release, only the stones.

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: October 26, 2005 23:57

Maybe The Stones aren't ready to be seen in a "retrospective light"--just throwing minimal amounts out there--w/ bulk of "rarities" being from recent years--want to still be seen as currently vital. I would like to something ala Beatles anthology.

Date: October 27, 2005 01:33

They only cool thing they ever released was the first Keith Richards solo album. They've gone downhill since.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 27, 2005 01:42

Mick have said many times he does not look back. He looks forward. The band is not dead yet so there is no reason for digging out stuff that was not supposed to be released. Leave the museum stuff for the future days. When they are gone. Which won't happen for a long time still.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 27, 2005 01:49

fair point, except that they might outlast many of us and hardly anyone who cares will still be around to buy it when such material DOES come out!

I really think the time to open the vaults was around the "40th anniversary" time. Would have been a good tie-in/follow up to "40 Licks" and kept things much more interesting in the long wait between studio releases than the tired (and increasingly commercially unsuccessful) formula of live albums.

Now theyve missed that opportunity I think it wont happen until they're no longer an active band - or maybe around the time of their 50th anniversary - whichever comes first!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 27, 2005 02:12

bv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The band is not dead yet so
> there is no reason for digging out stuff that was
> not supposed to be released. Leave the museum
> stuff for the future days. When they are gone.
> Which won't happen for a long time still.
>

Could not disagree more. The band's fans aren't gonna be around forever either! If the vaults are gonna open, open 'em now while they still have a core base of fans who gives a damn. Dylan's still around, active and his vaults are wide open - other same-era acts as well. ridiculous argument, I think.

Date: October 27, 2005 02:48

How can people complain about the rarities finally being released?Alright,there looks like there will be three tracks that aren't really rare but,what does that leave?13 rarities.I would rather have 19 or 38 but,13 is not too bad.People will buy a boot for $35 to listen to Through The Lonely Nights transferred from vinyl to cd with audible hiss & then complain when it is officially released for twelve dollars.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 27, 2005 02:53

I've personally no problem with this CD being released. I look forward to getting it. Its not as if its something to be scrutinised or looked at in the way a new album is. I'll enjoy it for what it is.

For what it is, its generally fine. Just cant equate wasting space on a CD with 3 songs that are easy to find on regular CDs when theres still a few omissions there.

You make a good point on the 'Through the lonely night's thing!

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 27, 2005 04:46

I don't think they should open their vaults until after the band is over and done with. It'll give us a much needed Stones fix when they are no longer around (I'm going to be an optimist and say the majority of us will still be alive). I think Mick has the right idea; don't focus on the past, focus on the here and now while the band still has one.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 27, 2005 04:51

bruce isnt dead yet , nor dylan, nor page n plant , nor kiss, nor aerosmith
and they treat the fans , why cant the stones

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: October 27, 2005 17:28

I think 2 official full-length releases in one year (ABB and Rarities) is nothing to complain about AT ALL, even when counting that it's been a long break since the last studio album.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 27, 2005 20:25

Will there be a massive outpouring of this material (outtakes and/or live) after the band ceases to exists? Hell, the Hendrix estate is still putting out Jimi's stuff (some of better quality than others).

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: October 27, 2005 20:30

The Mick point is important, he never listens to his own old records, so he has no feel for what the fans really want, but I bet if everyone pressured for a particular wish together it would amazingly come true. (They are reeading your posts, the song requests taking place are more than coincidence)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2557
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home