Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rory Gallagher & the Stones
Posted by: micawber K ()
Date: October 25, 2005 17:23

Hey ladies and gentlemen

I know that Rory Gallagher jammed with the Stones when they were looking for a replacement for Mick Taylor. Someone once told me before that he thought that there was a boot somewhere of these sessions. Does anyone know if this is true or is it just wishful thinking. For me Gallagher's playing would have been perfect for the Stones because he had a lot of soul like Mick Taylor (Sorry Ronnie you're good but not that good!). However he would have probaly gone the same way as Taylor (left eventually) because he was a quiet shy guy and there was the little matter that he hated drugs. However when I listen to some of his stuff I think that his playing would have been great for the Stones music. It would have kept with the Mick Taylor direction in some respects but it would have also taken the Stones down another little avenue as well. Anyone have any thoughts on this. As a closing remark I have lost a great deal of respect for UNCUT magazine with their paltry 80 something position for Rory in the greatest 100 guitarists list. I don't even think that Mick Taylor was on there (was he??).

Re: Rory Gallagher & the Stones
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 25, 2005 17:29

He played at the Rotterdam sessions in early 1975 when they were trying out new guitarists

Whilst theres several hours of rehearsals and jam sessions available, I dont think Rory's on them (Jeff Beck is, however)

what an amazing guitarist he was. Everyone I know who met him said he was the most down to earth guy you could ever meet

he used to play in Northern Ireland regularly throughout the 70's when NO acts would dare come here - something that was greatly appreciated

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: October 25, 2005 18:20

Rory would have been the ideal replacement, based upon his guitar ability. However, I believe Keith wanted someone with whom he could relate on a personal level, such as Woody, due to some apparent conflicts that had arisen with MT. Questionable as to whether Rory would have filled this requirement.

Great guitar player, and also IMO a great vocalist.

Karl

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 25, 2005 18:22

there's a nice little square in Cork with a monument dedicated to Rory. He was amazing....

Posted by: Half Nanker ()
Date: October 25, 2005 18:33

Amazing is right. Love his work.

Posted by: kienan ()
Date: October 25, 2005 20:56

What I've read thru years was that Ian Stewart was the one pushing for Rory Gallagher to be in the group. Loved the guy, thought that if Woody don't get the job he would.Shame he left us so early.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: October 26, 2005 13:50

Rory played with the Stones on January 27th 1975 and then flew off to Japan. Nothing was recorded, hence his brother claiming Rory wrote Miss You.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 26, 2005 14:01

get rory's boot bullfrog interlude its fanatstic. What in The World - will blow
you away the man can play rock blues.His tone is heaven and licks are lean and
mean.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 26, 2005 18:09

>>However he would have probaly gone the same way as Taylor (left eventually) because he was a quiet shy guy and there was the little matter that he hated drugs.<<

He would have gone the same way as Brian Jones and would have been replaced by Ronnie.
btw, why/how did he die?

great guitarist tho

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-26 18:11 by open-g.

Posted by: arnaud ()
Date: October 26, 2005 18:14

it will be very nice and rock'n roll....

Posted by: roundhay ()
Date: October 26, 2005 19:02

I would urge anone who hasn't heard it to listen to Rory's "Live In Europe " or "Irish Tour"

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: October 26, 2005 19:49

open-g Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>>
> He would have gone the same way as Brian Jones and
> would have been replaced by Ronnie.
> btw, why/how did he die?
>
>

Liver disease.

Karl

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1455
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home